ASFN Diet Challenge??

NMCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I've lost about 35lbs since the last week of Dec. I found out I have a problem with my thyroid. I have been having problems that suggested thyroid problems starting about 2 years ago. About a month ago I started taking a natural thyroid hormone replacement for my hashimotos. Man I'm
feeling so much better now. I wish they would have started this treatment 2 years ago ( damn HMOS ). I hope to have more success now that I'm feeling better.
Right now I have not started weight training. My job is very physical and I've been putting in 60+ hrs a week since Jan. Except this week (down all week from lung infection) Still try to get 30 mins 4x a week on a staionary bike.

It looks like alot of you are having success so congrats and keep up the good work.

What are you all doing for supplements ?

Have any of you heard of candidas and what do you think about it?

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NMCard said:
I've lost about 35lbs since the last week of Dec. I found out I have a problem with my thyroid. I have been having problems that suggested thyroid problems starting about 2 years ago. About a month ago I started taking a natural thyroid hormone replacement for my hashimotos. Man I'm
feeling so much better now. I wish they would have started this treatment 2 years ago ( damn HMOS ). I hope to have more success now that I'm feeling better.
Right now I have not started weight training. My job is very physical and I've been putting in 60+ hrs a week since Jan. Except this week (down all week from lung infection) Still try to get 30 mins 4x a week on a staionary bike.

It looks like alot of you are having success so congrats and keep up the good work.

What are you all doing for supplements ?

how did you know you were having thyroid problems?

NMCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Always feeling sluggish, loss of concentration, always getting the chills, not sleeping well, hard time losing weight. I went to the hmo when I was really feeling down and out explained my problems to the doc. He had some blood work done to check the thyroid. Those test came back borderline TSH which means I was on the higher range of the scale. Checked again 30 days later the numbers came back a little higher on the scale this time he wrote normal on the test. I thought every thing was good to go except I was still feeling like CRAP.
So I started doing research. I even tryed to treat myself with a holistic approach. Started doing a basel temp log in the mornings. Armed myself with that data + all of the previous blood test and went to a endocrinologist(sp) He listened to all my problems looked at all my data. He wrote me an RX for a natural thyroid replacement. Ordered some baseline blood work. And told me I should start feeling better in about 2 weeks. He was right I feel much better.

Being a 31yo male I always thought this was just a female problem. I was wrong. I'm glad I decided to research this problem. My attitude with doctors has always been if I rub a little dirt on it it will go away. I still feel that way only now I have a little more pep in my step with that attitude.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NMCard said:

Um... that's basically what we call a yeast infection.

That said, nope definitely not a fan.

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
ASUCHRIS said:
Tango:

I work out on a pretty consistent basis, and am pleased with the results. However, I think they could be better, and I am wondering if a lack of stretching may have to do with this. Is it essential to stretch before working out? Can I do it when I wake up in the morning? Thx in advance...

I apologize for taking so long to reply, as I hadn't checked in here for awhile.

There are a couple of things to take into consideration in regard to stretching.
As with all things, BALANCE seems to be the key.

Some of the latest findings are reporting that trying to stretch too much, too soon can also be damaging to your body.
Stretching "cold" muscles too much can be harmful. I used to start my regimin with stretches. Now I spend a few minutes on the stationary bike first to get the muscles warmed up. For upper body just some simple shoulder and hip swings. (remember that for your spine's sake, you should never over-rotate your shoulders much more than your hips...this is something I learned from my many years of dancing. rotating your shoulders more than your hips puts a twisting torque on your spine. A little can be ok, but too much can cause spinal problems.)

I haven't confirmed this yet, but I do my main stretches AFTER I have worked the muscles. It's one thing to acquire "tone", but if you don't stretch you can get muscles that become literally chronically "cramped" or close to it. You also lose flexibility by not stretching and giving the muscle the opportunity to elongate as well as contract.

I am now discovering that the technique of "Rolfing" may have some grains of truth to it. Rolfing is a form of deep muscle massage, the theory being that muscles can become so "locked" that it pulls the body out of alignment and causes all sorts of other deleterious effects...kind of a domino-like theory.
I am finding out that I am just now getting some scapula muscles to "release" that have probably been that way since a baseball injury in high school.

Personally I think the ideal is some kind of combination of standard "muscle building" exercises combined with some yoga stretches.

Few people seem to combine the two. They seem to treat it like religion. I you are a Jew then Arabs suck, or if a Catholic, Protestants do...etc.

again, as in anything, moderation seems to be the best overall way. Many yoga "guru's" may get to extreme just like WON's.

I recommend a book by Richard Hittleman, (he's written several, but that's the only one I would recommend) called : 28 day exercise plan. It walks you through how to learn to stretch the different muscle groups without getting to esoteric.

You can then design your own workout schedule for a balanced exercising of your body's muscles.

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
maddogkf said:
I really don't stretch. I do a few sets of lighter weights at the beginning...but then I see some people in the gym that spend 45 minutes stretching & then do 40 minutes workout.

To each his own I guess... (I'm no help to you, I know!!!) :)

Actually I would say what you do it probably, overall, better than starting of with "heavy" stretching right away.

All you want to do is get the muscles "warmed up" before really starting to tax them, whether it be with the weights or serious stretching.

For me, I have to concentrate on the weights for my upper body but the stretches for my legs (from hips down). Growing up logging, hunting, and working on relatives farms, plus all my years of dancing, my legs are in tremendous "shaple", in fact my common problem is alleviating cramping.

In either case, The bottome line = the safest is to warm up a muscle slightly before taxing it whether it be weights or serious stretches.

I had to take a little break for awhile because I actually bruised some hamstring and thigh muscles from over stretching them and evidently slightly tearing them.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Okay guys, summer is next month and I was wondering if you're still working out hard? I have been lifting 3-4 times a week and running 3 times a week. My goal is to gain 10 pounds but I have only gained 5. I have lost fat around the waist so I am happy.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tangodnzr said:
Actually I would say what you do it probably, overall, better than starting of with "heavy" stretching right away.

All you want to do is get the muscles "warmed up" before really starting to tax them, whether it be with the weights or serious stretching.

For me, I have to concentrate on the weights for my upper body but the stretches for my legs (from hips down). Growing up logging, hunting, and working on relatives farms, plus all my years of dancing, my legs are in tremendous "shaple", in fact my common problem is alleviating cramping.

In either case, The bottome line = the safest is to warm up a muscle slightly before taxing it whether it be weights or serious stretches.

I had to take a little break for awhile because I actually bruised some hamstring and thigh muscles from over stretching them and evidently slightly tearing them.

Tango, if you're having problems with leg cramps, take potassium tablets. The cramping is caused by a lack of potassium in your body (when you exercise and sweat, you lose salt and potassium).

maddogkf

You think KFCs still open
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sun Devil Stadium, Sect 27, Row 34, Seat 8
Zona90 said:
Okay guys, summer is next month and I was wondering if you're still working out hard? I have been lifting 3-4 times a week and running 3 times a week. My goal is to gain 10 pounds but I have only gained 5. I have lost fat around the waist so I am happy.
Weighed in at 230.8 this AM - still going. Missed the gym twice last week, but overall staying on it.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
40yearfan said:
Tango, if you're having problems with leg cramps, take potassium tablets. The cramping is caused by a lack of potassium in your body (when you exercise and sweat, you lose salt and potassium).

Eat bananas.

Brevity

Tryin' to get my lap back
Reaction score
maddogkf said:
Weighed in at 230.8 this AM - still going. Missed the gym twice last week, but overall staying on it.

Good job! Keep it up. :thumbup:

I haven't posted an update in a while because I kinda stalled. I started at 225 and I'm now down to about 208. I've been working out and watching what I eat and I just can't seem to get lower.

I think I could probably eat a little better but I have myself convinced that if I take in any fewer calories I will perish. :rolleyes:

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
40yearfan said:

Thanks for the reminder 40 (and you too Zona...about the bananas). Being aware of potassium loss is something I was made aware of a long time ago with all the continuous dancing I did. I hadn't checked in here again for awhile, but this week I again got a "rude awakening".
I guess, ever since my atrial flutter problems a year ago, and being "on" Cumadin (Warfarin) (a blood thinner) and some of the other prescriptions I was given....but since quit taking...such as diuretics, which "spare" potassium, I mentally muddled myself into ignorance.

This week I had a major setback, not only with leg cramps but irregular heart beat....until I suddenly realized that every workout (ave 4 times/week now) I end with extended times in both sauna and steam room. So not only losing the potassium sweating during the "cardio" exercising but that of those two rooms...I not only depleted my potassium but I think of other minerals/electrolytes too. Taking a multimneral tablet popped me right back into feeling better and steadied my heart rhythm back out again.

Needless to say, I'm now going to cut back on how much I "sweat out toxins". :bang:

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Tangodnzr said:
...ever since my atrial flutter problems a year ago, and being "on" Cumadin (Warfarin) (a blood thinner).

Are you in constant flutter?

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
earthsci said:
Are you in constant flutter?

Not since last August, when they did a "cardioversion" on me. (thats where they zap you with the chest electrodes).

Up until then I was. I was running about 144 beats/min in the lower chambers of my heart and exactly 4 times that in my upperchambers.
I first discovered it last June, and neither the Dr's or myself have any idea how long I had been that way.

Once they did the Cardioversion, I popped right back to normal rhythm and have been there since, except for about a 40 hour period a little over a month ago, where I may have reverted for that period of time, but spontaneously regained normal rhythm.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Tangodnzr said:
I apologize for taking so long to reply, as I hadn't checked in here for awhile.

There are a couple of things to take into consideration in regard to stretching.
As with all things, BALANCE seems to be the key.

Some of the latest findings are reporting that trying to stretch too much, too soon can also be damaging to your body.
Stretching "cold" muscles too much can be harmful. I used to start my regimin with stretches. Now I spend a few minutes on the stationary bike first to get the muscles warmed up. For upper body just some simple shoulder and hip swings. (remember that for your spine's sake, you should never over-rotate your shoulders much more than your hips...this is something I learned from my many years of dancing. rotating your shoulders more than your hips puts a twisting torque on your spine. A little can be ok, but too much can cause spinal problems.)

I haven't confirmed this yet, but I do my main stretches AFTER I have worked the muscles. It's one thing to acquire "tone", but if you don't stretch you can get muscles that become literally chronically "cramped" or close to it. You also lose flexibility by not stretching and giving the muscle the opportunity to elongate as well as contract.

I am now discovering that the technique of "Rolfing" may have some grains of truth to it. Rolfing is a form of deep muscle massage, the theory being that muscles can become so "locked" that it pulls the body out of alignment and causes all sorts of other deleterious effects...kind of a domino-like theory.
I am finding out that I am just now getting some scapula muscles to "release" that have probably been that way since a baseball injury in high school.

Personally I think the ideal is some kind of combination of standard "muscle building" exercises combined with some yoga stretches.

Few people seem to combine the two. They seem to treat it like religion. I you are a Jew then Arabs suck, or if a Catholic, Protestants do...etc.

again, as in anything, moderation seems to be the best overall way. Many yoga "guru's" may get to extreme just like WON's.

I recommend a book by Richard Hittleman, (he's written several, but that's the only one I would recommend) called : 28 day exercise plan. It walks you through how to learn to stretch the different muscle groups without getting to esoteric.

You can then design your own workout schedule for a balanced exercising of your body's muscles.

Thx for the explanation tango

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
How's everyone doing?

I don't see much activity. Has everyone let entropy and good weather give them a reason for abandoning the needed self discipline?

Any MORE healthy bodies out there now?

Is anyone home? Hello? :shrug:

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holding strong at 180. I have dipped down into the 70s a few times, but I have been gaining muscle from working out and I love my sweets.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tangodnzr said:
Not since last August, when they did a "cardioversion" on me. (thats where they zap you with the chest electrodes).

Up until then I was. I was running about 144 beats/min in the lower chambers of my heart and exactly 4 times that in my upperchambers.
I first discovered it last June, and neither the Dr's or myself have any idea how long I had been that way.

Once they did the Cardioversion, I popped right back to normal rhythm and have been there since, except for about a 40 hour period a little over a month ago, where I may have reverted for that period of time, but spontaneously regained normal rhythm.

Tango, I've had problems with A-Fib for almost 10 years now and have been on many different medications trying to keep it down. In most cases the drugs created greater problems than the A-Fib did. I'm on the last available drug that I can use for it right now and am starting to have problems almost daily from erratic heartbeat.

I'm scheduled to go into the Scottsdale Osborn facility for an ablation procedure on July 9 where they will go into my heart and use RF to deaden the cells around the heart that are creating the extra electrical impulses.
Three people that I know personally have had this procedure done and all are marveling at how much it has helped them. If it works for me, I will be able to get off the coumadin and two other types of medications I am taking to combat this problem.

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
40yearfan said:
Tango, I've had problems with A-Fib for almost 10 years now and have been on many different medications trying to keep it down. In most cases the drugs created greater problems than the A-Fib did. I'm on the last available drug that I can use for it right now and am starting to have problems almost daily from erratic heartbeat.

I'm scheduled to go into the Scottsdale Osborn facility for an ablation procedure on July 9 where they will go into my heart and use RF to deaden the cells around the heart that are creating the extra electrical impulses.
Three people that I know personally have had this procedure done and all are marveling at how much it has helped them. If it works for me, I will be able to get off the coumadin and two other types of medications I am taking to combat this problem.

What is the "last available drug" you are now using?

I stopped taking: (1) Ace Inhibitor (lisinopril), (2) Beta blocker (Metropolol), Diruretic (never read the label, never took a single one to begin with, (4) Statin, (again never took a single one, so didn't even pay attention to what specific one it was).....back in early december after my echo cardiogram (ultrasound on the heart) showed my ejection fraction (usually interpreted as "heart strength") was back up over 50 (normal range).

The coumadin is the only thing I religiously stayed with and continued to use.

Something you might try...seems to work for me in helping eliminate any rhythm irregularities is simply a multi-mineral suppliment. It's definitely a low risk alternative and has sure given me great results. Mineral imbalances can wreck havoc with the body's electrochemical system.

I just had "a session" with my cardiologist, and told him about my not taking the meds. Predictably he went postal on me. But by the time I left his office, after telling him I preferred to use a non-pharmaceutical approach. (also using a combination of anti-oxidants (Vitamins C and E, plus Alpha lipoic acid) and anti-inflammatory's (still working on researching the best one's there), he had calmed down somewhat and admitted that there "might be a possibility" that it would work, but it was MY decision and risk....not his. :rolleyes:

The standard medical profession, in general, really doesn't seem to know a lot about what they are doing. They have typically very limited knowledge of nutrition and approach everything with two weapons only.....precribing pharmaceutical drugs, (which they have been educated and indoctrinated by the industry to do) and surgical invasion.

anything else, they seem to have a closed mind to. And as Dr. Linus Pauling once said: "What they are not up on, they are down on.".

Which means everything else but drugs and surgery.

maddogkf

You think KFCs still open
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sun Devil Stadium, Sect 27, Row 34, Seat 8
I'm holding at 232, but this is a different 232 than I have been at before.

I still have the spare tire around the midsection, but I feel I am in my best shape since high school.

I have been down to 215 or so since HS, but that was on crash diets & from running.

Since Jan, I have put on about 10 lbs of lean muscle & lost over 15 lbs of fat.

I haven't been following my program as strictly as I should, but I am pleased with my results so far.

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
maddogkf said:
I'm holding at 232, but this is a different 232 than I have been at before.

I still have the spare tire around the midsection, but I feel I am in my best shape since high school.

I have been down to 215 or so since HS, but that was on crash diets & from running.

Since Jan, I have put on about 10 lbs of lean muscle & lost over 15 lbs of fat.

I haven't been following my program as strictly as I should, but I am pleased with my results so far.

I'm right there with you MD. Since January, i'm down 70 lbs, but I can't seem to get past the 260 - 265 range. I don't have a body fat tester, so at this point I'll just assume I'm losing fat and gaining muscle thats why I can't seem to lose. Like you I could be a little better at my diet, but since I'm not gaining any weight, I'm happy.

For those that don't like stretching, I suggest doing some swimming after working out. Swimming is a fantastic exercise, builds strength and remarkable flexibility, it also gives you the lean look instead of muscle bound look when lifting. Its also a very good cardio workout.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Ok this is still going on right :) Down from 232 to 218 :thumbup: Cut my calories and been working out three time a week sometimes.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SweetD said:
Ok this is still going on right :) Down from 232 to 218 :thumbup: Cut my calories and been working out three time a week sometimes.

Nice job!

:richardsimmons:

Djaughe

Reaction score
SweetD said:
egad...the holidays are coming!

:finisheskrespykremedonut:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard