Arizona Trade Rumors

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
Per Buster Olney:

Iglesias to Tigers, 2 or 3 lesser prospects to White Sox, Detroit OF Avisal Garcia to White Sox, pitcher from Detroit also coming to Boston with Peavy.

For that price, Boston can have him.

I love this trade. Sold way high on Iglesias, he is already coming down to earth, and Boston has Xander waiting to be promoted.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
KT was on Doug and Wolf this morning. He said we could expect to hear news on some sort of deal before the end of the day. He also said he wasn't sacrificing prospects to get it done.

He was surprisingly forthright. It did scare me that he said the trade deadline was 10 hours away and Doug had to remind him that is 4.5 hours away. KT sounded like he had an "oh crap" realization on the air. He probably hasn't slept in 3-4 days, so I'll give him a pass.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Padres Closing In On Trade For Ian Kennedy

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

•The Padres are getting closer to a deal for Kennedy, tweets Jon Heyman of CBS Sports.
•There are legs to the Kennedy to San Diego rumors, tweets Yahoo's Jeff Passan, who says Thatcher would be one of the players going to Arizona. The Padres are in active discussions to acquire Kennedy, tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. Speaking on 620 KTAR today, D'Backs GM Kevin Towers said, "I'm fairly confident that there will be some trade news involving the Diamondbacks probably by the end of the day."

Wait, we are getting a player back and he is pretty good. :shock:

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Corey Brock ‏@FollowThePadres 14m
The #Padres deal with the #Dbacks: Get RHP Ian Kennedy for LHP Joe Thatcher, RHP Matt Stites (Double-A) and a draft pick (comp B).

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Not bad for a guy whose stock was about as low as it could go.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Gambo thinks Stites could be our closer of the future.

John Gambadoro ‏@Gambo620 5m
Stites in Double A San Antonio 2-2, 2.08 ERA with 52 Ks in 51 innings

John Gambadoro ‏@Gambo620 3m
Stites is a big time bullpen prospect could very well be Diamondbacks closer next season, he's that good....

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
Now who takes Kennedy's spot in the rotation? I wonder what the asking price is for Bud Norris.

Hey KT, talk to the Cubs about Scheirholtz, and dump Kubel.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Wait, we are getting a player back and he is pretty good. :shock:

The Padres have bolstered their rotation for the present and future, acquiring righty Ian Kennedy from the division rival Diamondbacks for lefty reliever Joe Thatcher, Double-A reliever Matt Stites, and a compensation round B draft pick, according to a tweet from MLB.com's Corey Brock. It's a surprisingly light haul for Kennedy, a 28-year-old who is under team control through 2015 as an arbitration eligible player.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
The Padres have bolstered their rotation for the present and future, acquiring righty Ian Kennedy from the division rival Diamondbacks for lefty reliever Joe Thatcher, Double-A reliever Matt Stites, and a compensation round B draft pick, according to a tweet from MLB.com's Corey Brock. It's a surprisingly light haul for Kennedy, a 28-year-old who is under team control through 2015 as an arbitration eligible player.

I actually like this trade. It is much better than sacrificing prospects AND Kennedy to land a rental player or a guy who will be overpriced in subsequent years.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Watch Kennedy become a solid starter @ Petco.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My twitter sources have hinted that KT may now use savings from Alfred E Newman deal to get Garza.

Weird

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
A good deal for both teams.

I think Kennedy will do quite well for himself in San Diego's pitcher friendly ballpark. Meanwhile, Thatcher fills a major need for the Diamondbacks, and Matt Stites has shown a ton of promise as a potential closer of the fututre.

Solid trade for both

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
That's a given. We only trade people away that are due to put up career numbers.

As horrible as Kennedy has been, I'm still a little weary about this deal. Trading starters for relievers is usually a bad idea. Especially a starter who has won 20+ games in a season.

But I get it. He's been a disaster this year. He's going to arbitration. And he's got Satan, err, Scott Boras as an agent.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
As horrible as Kennedy has been, I'm still a little weary about this deal. Trading starters for relievers is usually a bad idea. Especially a starter who has won 20+ games in a season.

But I get it. He's been a disaster this year. He's going to arbitration. And he's got Satan, err, Scott Boras as an agent.

This made him more expendable that anyone will ever know. The Padres will have to pay out the nose if he turns it around for the rest of the year. Boras will only want to point to what Ian did as a Padre if that happens and pretend his D-Backs stint didn't exist.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am tending to lean more that 2011 was a fluke year, and the 2013 Kennedy will be the norm for his career.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
John Gambadoro ‏@Gambo620 3m
Hearing Dbacks not done yet still working on another deal may or may not happen but can't say they are finished at this point.