Arizona Trade Rumors

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I figured instead of starting new threads for every rumor involving D'Backs to just start a thread combining all rumors leading up to the deadline.

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2013/7/...ona-diamondbacks-jake-peavy-chicago-white-sox

Looks like ARZ is inquiring about Peavy and CHW may be targeting Randall Delgado. Towers obviously knows Peavy from his SD days but I don't think he will help as Peavy is VERY injury prone. Pass.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I figured instead of starting new threads for every rumor involving D'Backs to just start a thread combining all rumors leading up to the deadline.

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2013/7/...ona-diamondbacks-jake-peavy-chicago-white-sox

Looks like ARZ is inquiring about Peavy and CHW may be targeting Randall Delgado. Towers obviously knows Peavy from his SD days but I don't think he will help as Peavy is VERY injury prone. Pass.

He was banged up in 2010 and 2011... However, prior to those years, as well as in 2012, he was pretty strong and solid. His lowest Games Started in those years was 27.
He did pitch 212 innings last season, which could be a bit of a concern. However, just just turned 32 - which places him in his mid-prime playing years...
His contract is $14.5 million for this season and next with an option for 2015...
If it's a straight Peavy for Delgado trade, I think I would pull the trigger...

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
He was banged up in 2010 and 2011... However, prior to those years, as well as in 2012, he was pretty strong and solid. His lowest Games Started in those years was 27.
He did pitch 212 innings last season, which could be a bit of a concern. However, just just turned 32 - which places him in his mid-prime playing years...
His contract is $14.5 million for this season and next with an option for 2015...

If that's the only compensation we'd give up, I'd take it and run

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

FRIDAY: Despite Towers' comments, ESPN's Buster Olney tweets that the Diamondbacks are at least discussing Jake Peavy as a possibility, noting that the White Sox have scouted Randall Delgado (Twitter link). Given the number of available relievers the White Sox have, the Diamondbacks could ask for both Peavy and a bullpen arm in a trade, though that's just speculation on my part.

Jack Magruder of FOXSportsArizona.com echoes that sentiment (Twitter link), adding that Towers will not trade top prospects Tyler Skaggs or Archie Bradley. Skaggs had been mentioned as a possible component to a Gallardo trade.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/07/d-backs-prioritizing-relievers-wont-trade-skaggs-bradley.html

OP
OP
overseascardfan

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Quote:
Jack Magruder of FOXSportsArizona.com echoes that sentiment (Twitter link), adding that Towers will not trade top prospects Tyler Skaggs or Archie Bradley. Skaggs had been mentioned as a possible component to a Gallardo trade.

Good news to hear if Towers is serious about keeping Skaggs & Bradley. But that almost assures that Gallardo is out of the picture. I wonder what MIL would want for K-Rod & Axford?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd rather keep rolling with Delgado. Peavy cant stay healthy, the guy is on the DL as we speak.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I'd rather keep rolling with Delgado. Peavy cant stay healthy, the guy is on the DL as we speak.

I agree. We have Delgado and Skaggs. Let's go with them. Look at Corbin, he barely won the 5th spot and has been lights out.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
The Diamondback interest in Peavy doesn't surprise me. KT knows what to expect with him from their days in San Diego, where Peavy was one of the best pitchers in baseball.

I'm not sure if I like the idea of involving Delgado. Peavy has an injury history and isn't getting any younger.

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
I'd like to see Arizona take a look at Chris Heston, who the Giants just DFA'd. He's not going to be an arm who is going to pitch in Chase this season, but would give them another arm for the farm with some potential.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I'd say a Degado for Peavey swap qualifies as a low risk/high reward trade.
I'd like to see them trade Kubel and/or one of our crap closers for another underperformer. Change of scenery deal. As long as they don't give away any of the A list talent.

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score

I disagree. To me, a low risk/high reward move would be picking up Dallas Braden as a free agent, or trading for Carlos Zambrano and having either pan out. Giving up a top prospect for someone like Peavy has plenty of risks. I call it high risk, high reward.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I disagree. To me, a low risk/high reward move would be picking up Dallas Braden as a free agent, or trading for Carlos Zambrano and having either pan out. Giving up a top prospect for someone like Peavy has plenty of risks. I call it high risk, high reward.
Is Delgado a top prospect?

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Was Corbin last year? He barely made the 5th starter position this year and look what he has done. It may take time with Delgado too. We shall see.

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
Is Delgado a top prospect?

Last season, he was ranked as the 42nd best prospect in all of baseball (Atlanta's third best prospect overall) by MLB.com. Coming in to 2013, he had logged enough MLB time not to be considered one anymore, however he was still highly heralded by scouts and MLB executives alike as a legitimate talent.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd like to see them trade Kubel and/or one of our crap closers for another underperformer. Change of scenery deal. As long as they don't give away any of the A list talent.

Not with Peavy's contract... I'd hate to see the team dump someone on the roster who is worth their money because they're stuck paying Peavy 29 million over the next two years to pitch in rehab assignments.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Peavy also has been dominant in this division in the past

That's ancient history. Other than a few lingering, aging players, it looks radically different than it did when he was last here in 2009.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'd rather have Delgado than Peavy. Don't care how old he is, Peavy already has over 1,800 innings on that arm, and he's approaching a very exclusive 2,000 inning club. Only a handful of pitchers of his era have hit that mark.

I loved Peavy when he was younger. Maybe the most underrated pitcher of this century so far. I'm not sure what he has left, even if it's just for the rest of the season. He's currently on rehab assignment in Birmingham for broken ribs.

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That's ancient history. Other than a few lingering, aging players, it looks radically different than it did when he was last here in 2009.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'd rather have Delgado than Peavy. Don't care how old he is, Peavy already has over 1,800 innings on that arm, and he's approaching a very exclusive 2,000 inning club. Only a handful of pitchers of his era have hit that mark.

I loved Peavy when he was younger. Maybe the most underrated pitcher of this century so far. I'm not sure what he has left, even if it's just for the rest of the season. He's currently on rehab assignment in Birmingham for broken ribs.

I have to admit I haven't watched Peavy since he was with the Padres, so I can't comment on how much he may have left. I guess it comes down to whether the man who gets paid to make these decisions believes that Peavy still has enough left in the tank to help this team 1) make the playoffs and 2) make a serious run deep into the playoffs to make the gamble worth it.

Looking logically at the situation, with his recent injury history and his 14.5 million dollar contract for next season with a 15 million player option in 2015, I guess I would say that you're probably right and it isn't worth it

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hate the idea of trading for one of these high price tag mediocre pitchers, which means either moving Delgado or Skaggs, or at the very least bumping them out of the rotation. Those guys are not the problem. As much as I like Kennedy, unless HE is the guy being replaced then we are not fixing anything.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mlbtraderumors.com mentioned thDbacks as possible spot for Matt Garza. I think he is better than Peavy. At least a little.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate the idea of trading for one of these high price tag mediocre pitchers, which means either moving Delgado or Skaggs, or at the very least bumping them out of the rotation. Those guys are not the problem. As much as I like Kennedy, unless HE is the guy being replaced then we are not fixing anything.

Agree

And haven't seen enough production from Peavy or Galliardo this year to think either would be much of an upgrade over Kennedy

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Agree

And haven't seen enough production from Peavy or Galliardo this year to think either would be much of an upgrade over Kennedy

Agree that it is risky trading Delgado or Skaggs, but IPK is statistically one of the 10 worst pitchers in all of baseball this season. Peavy, Gallardo, or basically any pitcher that can merely put up league average numbers would be a huge upgrade in that regards.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right now I'd be fine with trading Kennedy for Pittsburgh's bat boy. :mad:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree that it is risky trading Delgado or Skaggs, but IPK is statistically one of the 10 worst pitchers in all of baseball this season. Peavy, Gallardo, or basically any pitcher that can merely put up league average numbers would be a huge upgrade in that regards.

Problem is, to get those guys you'd have to give up some good prospects, which downgrades the team as a whole.

If we are going to give up good prospects, it needs to be for a SIGNIFICANT upgrade, not just a marginal one.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Right now I'd be fine with trading Kennedy for Pittsburgh's bat boy. :mad:

At this point, I'd trade him for the scraps of peanuts the Pitt ground crew cleans up after a game.

Realistically, though, I'd just say the hell with it and bring Bradley up to be the #5. He's certainly going to struggle. But can he be any worse than Kennedy / Cahill at this point?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard