Arizona Hoops 2023-2024 - Getting Up from the Mat After Princeton

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
FWIW a guy on BRO gave Casey Jacobsen an uber ride and they talked hoops during the trip. Casey says Arizona is "in another league" from the rest of the Pac 12 this year.

This is the most complete team I've seen since 2000-2001. Not guaranteeing a Natty appearance, but this team is one of the teams to beat to get there

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think the one thing this squad is likely missing is a next level star. A guy who can take over when needed. I don’t see anyone that fits that bill. That said, it’s a very complete team. Pieces seem to compliment each other well. But again, ultimately the proof will be in the field of 64 pudding. We know tommy can do this regular season domination thing.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think the one thing this squad is likely missing is a next level star. A guy who can take over when needed. I don’t see anyone that fits that bill. That said, it’s a very complete team. Pieces seem to compliment each other well. But again, ultimately the proof will be in the field of 64 pudding. We know tommy can do this regular season domination thing.
I think Boswell can

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Caleb Love

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Caleb Love

Yeah he can shoot you out of games but he's also carried teams in big games, as any UCLA fan remembers.

USC is good but not as good as expected, their bigs haven't really stepped up other than Morgan. Colorado is pretty good. Oregon pretty good. UCLA is a year away getting Mara and Berke in late has put them well behind schedule.

I don't think UA will sweep the conference they're going to lose a couple of games I would assume but they appear to be clearly head and shoulders above everyone else

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
This is the most complete team I've seen since 2000-2001. Not guaranteeing a Natty appearance, but this team is one of the teams to beat to get there

I doubt one player on this current squad would start for the 01’ team. That team was different.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Purdue going to overtime with unranked Northwestern.

We beat Colgate tomorrow and Purdue loses, we will be the #1 team in the country on Monday.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think a bunch of things are better this year with Arizona but the 2 changes that I think I notice the most are the addition of Keshad Johnson, and the subtraction of Kriisa. Johnson is a tough defender, rebounds, can score inside, does all the little things. Tubelis was a better scorer, and rebounder, but Johnson is MUCH better defensively. Love is the same with Kriisa, both are volume shooters who take bad shots, and Kriisa is a better passer, but the difference in athleticism and defense is off the charts.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I think a bunch of things are better this year with Arizona but the 2 changes that I think I notice the most are the addition of Keshad Johnson, and the subtraction of Kriisa. Johnson is a tough defender, rebounds, can score inside, does all the little things. Tubelis was a better scorer, and rebounder, but Johnson is MUCH better defensively. Love is the same with Kriisa, both are volume shooters who take bad shots, and Kriisa is a better passer, but the difference in athleticism and defense is off the charts.
Caleb is a 3-level scorer. High volume yeah but can put it in the bucket from anywhere not to mention athleticism and defense. All Krissa can do is establish tempo and shoot 3’s.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Caleb is a 3-level scorer. High volume yeah but can put it in the bucket from anywhere not to mention athleticism and defense. All Krissa can do is establish tempo and shoot 3’s.
Teams would let Krissa shoot threes because they knee he wasn't a great shooter. Plus, they knew if he penetrated he was more than likely going to pass it. You can't do that against Boswell and Love.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love goes all out, all game and impacts in many more ways than Kriisa. Yeah, like Kriisa he takes some ill advised shots but not as often as KK did. And while I loved what Tubelis gave us on one end of the court, Johnson's defense and maturity helps us at both ends. But I think the growth of Pelle and Ballo have been huge for this team and I love the additions of Krivas, Lewis and Bradley. Last year's team was fun, this team means business. I'm not saying they'll win it all but I don't see them getting knocked out early this year.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Love goes all out, all game and impacts in many more ways than Kriisa. Yeah, like Kriisa he takes some ill advised shots but not as often as KK did. And while I loved what Tubelis gave us on one end of the court, Johnson's defense and maturity helps us at both ends. But I think the growth of Pelle and Ballo have been huge for this team and I love the additions of Krivas, Lewis and Bradley. Last year's team was fun, this team means business. I'm not saying they'll win it all but I don't see them getting knocked out early this year.

Kerr being gone is quite refreshing. He was too cocky for his talent level and not talented enough to be the lead guard at Arizona. Love is probably gonna shoot us out of a close game or two but at least he’s willing to fire away in the clutch. Last year’s team was so soft.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Oh yeah he's a MUCH better player than kerr that was my point. I think you get a bunch of things from him you didn't get from Kerr. Kerr can do some things well yes but Love is a far better player and so far he's bought in, he's still a volume shooter, 41% is a career best in fact first time he's ever been over 40% overall, but he's taking fewer shots because there's better balance on the team and that means he's taking better shots.

I wasn't all that high on Johnson to be honest but he's MUCH improved, career high in points, by a mile, in part due to pace of course but he's just better. He's at 78% from the FT line 10 points over his career best, career best FG%, career best in rebounds, assists, Tubelis was a better player but Johnson is a much better defender and he's tougher and I think that's been a big factor for UA.

Obviously Boswell is much better this year but that stood to reason as young as he is and as promising as he was last year. And again addition by subtraction move out Kerr for a much better player.

I keep saying UA won't run the table and go unbeaten in conference but honestly right now not sure who's going to beat them, Colorado, Oregon, Utah, USC they're all pretty good but I don't think good enough.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah he's a MUCH better player than kerr that was my point. I think you get a bunch of things from him you didn't get from Kerr. Kerr can do some things well yes but Love is a far better player and so far he's bought in, he's still a volume shooter, 41% is a career best in fact first time he's ever been over 40% overall, but he's taking fewer shots because there's better balance on the team and that means he's taking better shots.

I wasn't all that high on Johnson to be honest but he's MUCH improved, career high in points, by a mile, in part due to pace of course but he's just better. He's at 78% from the FT line 10 points over his career best, career best FG%, career best in rebounds, assists, Tubelis was a better player but Johnson is a much better defender and he's tougher and I think that's been a big factor for UA.

Obviously Boswell is much better this year but that stood to reason as young as he is and as promising as he was last year. And again addition by subtraction move out Kerr for a much better player.

I keep saying UA won't run the table and go unbeaten in conference but honestly right now not sure who's going to beat them, Colorado, Oregon, Utah, USC they're all pretty good but I don't think good enough.
Yeah, a lot of teams have played us even for the first 15 to 20 minutes so I won't be shocked to see someone do it for more than 20 minutes. And who knows what we'll do if we're in a close game late. But having said that, I'd worry less about this team in a tight battle than I would most UA squads in the past. I expect some losses but I don't expect to see very many of them.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My daughter is a sophomore down at UofA and hasn't been to a basketball game yet. It is driving me crazy! Although she is starting to follow it a little bit more now on TV. I told her that she has to go see a game live at least once. :bang: