Arizona Hoops 2023-2024 - Getting Up from the Mat After Princeton

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Gotta win these next two. Theyll be the two toughest games we have the rest of the season.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotta win these next two. Theyll be the two toughest games we have the rest of the season.

I haven't seen FAU this year but I have seen Alabama and I think you will blow them out. They're not as good. They have talent but they're not nearly as good defensively as in prior years. I really wanted Grant Nelson at UCLA but I see now why the NBA wasn't as high on him as many thought they would be, talented but poor defender and too predictable on offense.

They have some guys who can shoot 3's but they give up way too much dribble penetration.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hate that timeout call on the final play, let em attack in transition.

Whatever play was drawn up clearly got sniffed out... I doubt "30 foot heave" was the plan.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hate that timeout call on the final play, let em attack in transition.

Whatever play was drawn up clearly got sniffed out... I doubt "30 foot heave" was the plan.
Agree. They’re off balance. You’re only down 1. If you drive you could get contact or at least kick for an open 3.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Can’t lose a game in which you shoot around 50% around the rim. Ballo has hands of stone and should be slamming it in instead of doing those floaters. Missing bunnies like that is unacceptable and cost us the game.

We’ll see in March how this loss impacts seeding. If we go 21-2 in conference play and the tournament, a #1 seed is highly possible

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can’t lose a game in which you shoot around 50% around the rim. Ballo has hands of stone and should be slamming it in instead of doing those floaters. Missing bunnies like that is unacceptable and cost us the game.

We’ll see in March how this loss impacts seeding. If we go 21-2 in conference play and the tournament, a #1 seed is highly possible
And it is not like FAU is a bad team. They brought back most everyone from last year’s final four team

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
And it is not like FAU is a bad team. They brought back most everyone from last year’s final four team
But it’s a bit like past years - teams with tough athletic players make it difficult on the cats. At least this team has some tougher athletes.

And ballo is a disappointment. He’s just not the beast he should be offensively or defensively as a rim protector. Tore it up on the boards though. And the young euro 7’2” guy needs to get a lot stronger, smarter and more aggressive.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
When you think about the hoops that Tommy had to go thru to schedule this game, it makes it even more irritating

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah it's hard to believe this is the same team. Where's the defense?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't even gloat as bad as UCLA is this year.

Pretty hard to see that coming I was actually expecting UCLA to beat Stanford because they're so poorly coached and then they beat down UA?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I can't even gloat as bad as UCLA is this year.

Pretty hard to see that coming I was actually expecting UCLA to beat Stanford because they're so poorly coached and then they beat down UA?

Boswell and Ballo being mediocre lowers their ceiling and leaves them susceptible to bad losses hot shooting or not.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welp, there goes the 1 seed. At least for now.
Plenty of time to regroup. There is no dominant team and I have no doubt all the top teams will lose multiple games in conference play

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welp, there goes the 1 seed. At least for now.

Could be but they had such a tough schedule early if they right the ship, and they likely will, they'll be a favorite for a 1 seed eventually IMO

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really surprised that game was that close I thought UCLA would lose by 20.

If nothing else UCLA taught Arizona, and ASU, to stop doubling the post from the ball side. He eventually adjusted but literally the reason UCLA had such a big lead, twice, is they kept baiting Arizona into doubling from the ball side leading to wide open 3's for Stefanovic, McClendon et al. UCLA can't shoot but even they can make wide open 3's when the ball is coming directly back to them from the post. There were a lot of reasons Arizona turned it on and won but IMO the biggest one was they finally stopped doing that.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Kylan’s gotta go DNP-CD. He’s been useless for several games