Arizona Cardinals offseason thread 2022

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Talk about hyperbole… Digging out from Mike Glennons 2 year 8 million contract back in 2018??? Lol
Come on . The guy wasn’t worth $.50. Never was. But I suppose Bradfords 20 m was a mere pittance too. Point is it was 30m ( maybe more) for 2 qbs that shouldn’t have been on ANY team.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Come on . The guy wasn’t worth $.50. Never was. But I suppose Bradfords 20 m was a mere pittance too. Point is it was 30m ( maybe more) for 2 qbs that shouldn’t have been on ANY team.
You said we had to dig out of that hole Thanks to Glennon his money hasn’t been on the books for a couple years

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You said we had to dig out of that hole Thanks to Glennon his money hasn’t been on the books for a couple years
We cartied their salaries into the following year after they were gone. Yes Glennon was far less a liability against the cap but it was in addition to Bradfords.
Either way you slice it Keim blew that big time.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
The sad part Chopper is we NEVER had the cap space since drafting Kyler. Constantly digging ourselves out of the Bradfor/Glennon signing prevented us to “ go big”. Here we are in year 4 of his contract and we still can’t go big. But hey, we were able to sign some of our own free agents. We got VALUE.
thats not really true

part of the reason the team could trade for Hopkins and give him a new deal was a rookie QB contract

same with signing Watt and trading for Hudson last offseason

lastly-- the Bills gave Josh Allen an extension last offseason. They just went big with giving 33 year old Von Miller $20mm per year for 6 years.

the Cards can give K1 an extension this offseason, and have low cap hits from him through 2023.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I see Anthony Barr is available. He was a great pass rusher in college and playing in a 4-3 in MIN didn't help him. I wonder if he would be a good fit as an OLB in 3-4 and let him loose like we did with Reddick his last year here where his focus was just on pass rushing.

Only other 3-4 EDGE guys out there are Melvin Ingram and Jerry Hughes unless someone else gets cut this weekend.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1700 yards in 5 years. Broke 500 once. Was behind Gronk and Brate last year.

Maybe he's just not good?
That’s my theory and every time I’ve watched he’s never been that impressive…. I know he was in Arians doghouse initially too

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I see Anthony Barr is available. He was a great pass rusher in college and playing in a 4-3 in MIN didn't help him. I wonder if he would be a good fit as an OLB in 3-4 and let him loose like we did with Reddick his last year here where his focus was just on pass rushing.

Only other 3-4 EDGE guys out there are Melvin Ingram and Jerry Hughes unless someone else gets cut this weekend.

Jerry Hughes failed in a 3-4 and revitalized his career, when many thought he was bust, as a 4-3 D-end in Buffalo.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know @DVontel said it, but really? This is your offseason with a QB heading into the 4th year of his rookie contract? This is your offseason after getting boat raced off the field in the first round of the playoffs? Absolutely crazy how Kyler's rookie deal, the biggest advantage in pro football, has been utterly wasted.
Maybe Keim has a trade up his sleeve? That’s usually the only guaranteed good/impact move he makes each off-season.

But yeah… the “let’s run it back, only not as talented” plan so far doesn’t inspire confidence so far.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
We cartied their salaries into the following year after they were gone. Yes Glennon was far less a liability against the cap but it was in addition to Bradfords.
Either way you slice it Keim blew that big time.
Having to eat Rosens contract was a huge weeping sore alongside Bradford’s deal. I’m pretty sure we released Bradford mid-year so we could start accelerating his bonus right away.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats not really true

part of the reason the team could trade for Hopkins and give him a new deal was a rookie QB contract

same with signing Watt and trading for Hudson last offseason

lastly-- the Bills gave Josh Allen an extension last offseason. They just went big with giving 33 year old Von Miller $20mm per year for 6 years.

the Cards can give K1 an extension this offseason, and have low cap hits from him through 2023.
Both those deals were good. But we now pay the piper this year. There isn’t any reason we can’t sign anyone we want if we structure it right. But sooner or later you pay or eat dead money.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Does not extending Hump this year make you think that the Cardinals are not completely sold on him?

Could have been a way to lock him down and lower the cap number (19m) this year.

I am not a big fan of his game (huge fan of him as a person) but you need a long term answer at LT. I wonder what the plan might be.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Does not extending Hump this year make you think that the Cardinals are not completely sold on him?

Could have been a way to lock him down and lower the cap number (19m) this year.

I am not a big fan of his game (huge fan of him as a person) but you need a long term answer at LT. I wonder what the plan might be.
We also have to remember that 4/5 of the Oline will be UFAs come 2023. Pugh restructured he did not extend.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Hopefully they are keeping their options open for other available LTs in the next few days. He’s an easy cut if we find a replacement via free agency as most of that $19m has EXTREMELY limited dead money ($4m)

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Can't cut him - would definitely have to trade him (too much value to cut on a reasonable contract).

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think they will but their strategy so far seems to be just do enough to free up space for the next deal.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
1700 yards in 5 years. Broke 500 once. Was behind Gronk and Brate last year.

Maybe he's just not good?
Maybe. But the counter argument is that you can pay him 3.5 as a player who may have a chance to do more. Low risk for a high return is widely considered a solid investment strategy.