Arizona Basketball 2020-2021

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So devils' advocate why did they wait until now? I assume they mean Book and Pasternack talking about lack of judgement and clearly they knew about that stuff ages ago.

A cynic would suggest the 3 touted freshmen last year convinced them they might be able to win lots of games so they didn't do it then.

I was just passing the information along.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
But they also saw the University and Program profess Miller's innocence and then admit his guilt after they came here. IF in fact this was a bait and switch, there should be hell to pay. Frankly, there should be hell to pay, anyway. I am beyond shocked that Miller hasn't been fired for cause...though with this President and AD, I guess nothing should shock me anymore.

Thank goodness for Adia Barnes. The women's basketball team is the only source of pride we have left.

If they were firing Miller it would’ve happened already. They want him to be the coach (which is a separate argument as to why). The only coach caught up in this that got fired was Pitino and there were issues for him beyond the legal stuff.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Institutional control. Book, Phelps and Pasternak's actions fall back on Miller.

Book’s conviction and “lack of institutional control” are two separate violations leveled by the NCAA. You can’t argue a guilty plea...

The timing and legal aspect of this is above my understanding but it’s from the higher administration it seems.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
And if this is the case, if I'm a recruit, I sue for fraud.

This is the NCAA equivalent of a guilty plea, which means that the University, its athletic department and the basketball coaching staff have been lying to recruits, the public and the Regents for at least 3 years with all the BS about Miller's innocence.

People need to be held accountable for this.

What have they been lying about?

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
This was a total strategic move by the University. This team is a fringe tourney team, but should be really good next year. The team wasnt going to avoid a postseason ban after what the NCAA did to OkState. Might as well rip the bandadge off when the team isnt as good and the tournament will be in shambles anyway.

I dont agree with self-imposed ban, but I understand. This is a dice roll for sure. Hopefully, the NCAA doesnt add on an additional year. I'll take a scholarship reduction, fine, and/or Miller suspension in lieu of another year.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
The coaches' alleged innocence.
So what has Miller done? He's not directly implicated in anything, with the exception of the overly-broad NCAA rule that says anything that happens within a program falls on the coach (even if an assistant coach goes rogue and does shady ish w/o telling the HC). You can call it "alleged innocence," but unless something of substance falls on Miller, it's innocent until proven guilty.

Right now, you have the unavoidable situation w/ Book wherein he was arrested and charged with a felony. That alone was going to get Arizona a one-year tournament ban.

I know for 100% fact that the way Miller has recruited since this craziness started has been to be as transparent as possible with all potential recruits. He's told them what Arizona is accused of while following up that he has no clue when and how the NCAA would respond. Some recruits have told Miller that they're not interested because of the allegations, which is completely understandable.

So no, no one's been lying to recruits. If anything, they've been too honest.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was a total strategic move by the University. This team is a fringe tourney team, but should be really good next year. The team wasnt going to avoid a postseason ban after what the NCAA did to OkState. Might as well rip the bandadge off when the team isnt as good and the tournament will be in shambles anyway.

I dont agree with self-imposed ban, but I understand. This is a dice roll for sure. Hopefully, the NCAA doesnt add on an additional year. I'll take a scholarship reduction, fine, and/or Miller suspension in lieu of another year.

And to be clear while I assume they picked this year for the same reason you said, they think they'll be better next year and expected to be better last year, I really don't care. This whole thing is a sham, the NCAA put all these kids in a situation of taking a risk during a pandemic to play a sport, for the good of the kids we were told, and then the University pulls the plug on their postseason, 8 games in, because of something they already knew about. I have no idea what really happened, I heard Norlander on tv yesterday say people "think" it was the Colorado win that triggered it, they decided the team is better than expected and MIGHT make the postseason so to be fair to the kids, they need to pull the plug now not wait until later in the year and then do it. I guess that makes sense, but again I don't think anybody should be playing right now due to Covid, if I were one of the kids I'd be pretty mad right now unless I was told upfront hey if you transfer here or commit here understand the year you're here we might be in a postseason ban.

There's just no good ending I think we're going to continue to have games cancelled due to Covid, Duke women already cancelled the season I expect some mens programs might at some point too.

I think at this point it's almost too late for the NCAA to do anything what I would probably have done is just reduce scholarships, some sort of penalty on the coaches, and no postseason bans because none of the kids at UA or the other schools were even involved it's been 3 years now.

I think the fair thing to do would have been say ok you get 10 scholarships next year, 11 the next, 12 the next etc as punishment, some penalties on the coaches, no matter where they are, and then let the current kids play. I know that's always been the case the kids who get probation are not the kids who committed the violations but with everything going on right now to ask these kids to take a risk, especially the foreign kids, with Covid and then yank the season out from under them(postseason) just isn't fair IMO.

I think you can argue UA has been on probation since the announcement anyways so I just think the whole thing sucks. I know the NCAA had issues waiting on the FBI but the whole thing took too long, just move on.

I just think at this point the school is too late, if they were going to do this it should have been last year or the year before. Punishing kids who had nothing to do with anything, in the middle of a pandemic, I see no benefit to anybody.

If it were me I'd let Arizona play postseason, and all the other schools caught up in it, frankly the ones NOT caught up were doing the same thing they just got lucky

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reaction score
He could play a couple years in Europe , probably make pretty good money. Not confident his knees have a ton of remaining tread so unfortunately 4-5 years in Europe is probably what he has left as a professional athlete.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some good memories from Steve Kerr in a retweet.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Some good memories from Steve Kerr in a retweet.

Best championship memory I've ever had. We were watching the game at a buddy's house on Speedway and after the game it was pandemonium with everyone out in the streets. Riot police were there but never deployed. Unlike on 4th ave where the crowds were turning over cars, it was relatively uneventful out on the main drag.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose