Arizona Basketball 2017-18'

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Need Miller to scream more "F yous" to refs. That seems to get the players fired up and the refs to come correct.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I never complain about refs but that was embarrassing. I typically hate Miller's sideline antics but they were justified today.

Oh and... PJC!

TJ

Reaction score
I never complain about refs but that was embarrassing. I typically hate Miller's sideline antics but they were justified today.

Oh and... PJC!

Ayton fouled out for existing on the court. Lame poo.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Need Miller to scream more "F yous" to refs. That seems to get the players fired up and the refs to come correct.

That was clearly a charge but I think Miller was right anyways because at that point I think the FT's were 17 for Stanford and 3 for UA so Miller was just trying to make that point.

I was really impressed with Ayton today blocking shots he really was on another level.

also really impressed with down 11 Miller called timeout and completely flipped it. Obviously Stanford losing Davis to the ankle killed them too many mistakes late in the game.

TJ

Reaction score
Impressive win last night. It might behoove Miller to keep Rawle on the bench to help keep leads and take pressure off Randolph and Akot. Dylan Smith seems to play well when he starts.

String along more quality wins and I'll be convinced that this team can make noise in the tournament.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Washington has gotten so many lucky breaks against Arizona for the last 15 years it seems like.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Washington has gotten so many lucky breaks against Arizona for the last 15 years it seems like.

To be fair UA was fairly fortunate to get the game that close at the end. UW had the game in hand and then Ristic set a blatantly obvious moving screen, including pivoting to impede Crisp, he flys by out of control and fouls Trier who nails the 3, 4 point play and UA is right back in the game.

Hopkins is doing an amazing job, but it also shows what I was arguing about with Slin prior to the draft, Fultz is an impressive one on one player but made absolutely no impact on the team. They replaced Romar with Hopkins, Fultz with Nowell, and they are one collapse against UCLA away from being tied for first. They've almost doubled last years win total already. Hopkins absolutely has to be COY in the conference this year.

I have to give credit to Miller I thought he should bring Ristic off the bench, he stuck with him and the guy has been lighting it up the last 4-5 games. He still is not a good defender but he's so effective in the low post, he kept UA within striking distance until Trier and Ayton got it going late.

That fast break dunk by Ayton was scary, he's so athletic for his size it's amazing.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should add, aside from the last 3 there were 2 other banked in shots by UW that would certainly qualify as lucky.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I should add, aside from the last 3 there were 2 other banked in shots by UW that would certainly qualify as lucky.

Moreso two good blocks in the final minute resulting in made baskets but you have to credit them for hitting them. Arizona lost this game in the first half. Rawle has been pretty bad and he's been missing games with the foot injury. It's really affected his defense.

As long as there's no eligibility concerns I'm thinking he comes back. Playing with Trier and Ayton I'm sure can be frustrating at times.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Moreso two good blocks in the final minute resulting in made baskets but you have to credit them for hitting them. Arizona lost this game in the first half. Rawle has been pretty bad and he's been missing games with the foot injury. It's really affected his defense.

As long as there's no eligibility concerns I'm thinking he comes back. Playing with Trier and Ayton I'm sure can be frustrating at times.

I'd be pretty surprised if ALkins stays. With the foot injury, the FBI stuff and just how well he was liked by NBA scouts last year, seems pretty likely he would leave. he's got a first hand example this year of things that can go wrong injury wise I would think if he is still well liked by NBA people he'd go.

UCLA beating SC meant they didn't tie you, USC had won 6 straight and were one half court shot by Daejon Davis away from 9 straight, they seem to have taken off since Melton was ruled out for the year. My theory is both players rallying around the missing guy, and in the case of Stewart, Matthews and Aaron, 3 guys who knew if Melton came back they'd lose minutes, now feeling confident in their minutes.

Arizona still has the best team because of Ayton and Trier, but you can make a case that UW and USC are playing as well as anybody in the conference. And Stanford has been really good since they got their team healthy. All 5 of those teams are probably good enough to win games in the NCAA's, as is ASU, but I don't think the conference gets more than 4 in and maybe only 3.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting my first good look at the Cats tonight against UCLA. Are they always this boring?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Alkins has to return next year. No one is drafting that dude right now.

TJ

Reaction score
I got nothing. Terrible, unacceptable loss.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got nothing. Terrible, unacceptable loss.

As a UCLA fan that was nuts, Hands hits 3 ridiculously bad 3's to end the half putting us up 10 when I was about to go nuts about Arizona going an entire half with 3 fouls while UCLA's 3 best players combined for 7 fouls. Then in the 2nd half GG goes nuts like he's Dirk or something.

Pretty much everything UCLA needed to win happened, other guys stepped up, Ayton missed one midrange shot after another, Arizona missed 3's early.

Thanks to Miller for letting Trier start the game on Holiday, per the announcers that was Trier's idea, single biggest reason UCLA got off to a good start was Holiday blowing by Trier for layups or kickouts.

The downside is barring a collapse this probably guarantees alford another year.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
As a UCLA fan that was nuts, Hands hits 3 ridiculously bad 3's to end the half putting us up 10 when I was about to go nuts about Arizona going an entire half with 3 fouls while UCLA's 3 best players combined for 7 fouls. Then in the 2nd half GG goes nuts like he's Dirk or something.

Pretty much everything UCLA needed to win happened, other guys stepped up, Ayton missed one midrange shot after another, Arizona missed 3's early.

Thanks to Miller for letting Trier start the game on Holiday, per the announcers that was Trier's idea, single biggest reason UCLA got off to a good start was Holiday blowing by Trier for layups or kickouts.

The downside is barring a collapse this probably guarantees alford another year.

With the amount of time UCLA fans spend bitching about Alford it must not feel like the normal euphoria of beating Arizona and USC.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
My guess is when the FBI thing dropped Miller was devasted (whether he knew about Book or not). He went into training camp not being his usual self and team sleepwalks into the Bahamas where they get humiliated. They have a heart to heart and "right" the ship going on a decent win streak and barely hanging on in most of them. They've been solely winning on the play of Ayton and when he doesn't bring it like tonight they get dominated.

The loser of the AZ/SC game will have lost 3 straight. If Arizona loses they could spiral down the drain for the rest of the season.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the amount of time UCLA fans spend bitching about Alford it must not feel like the normal euphoria of beating Arizona and USC.

I have decided 5 years is enough and the program should be in better shape than it is, but I won't be furious if he's back. The key as always is who can you get to replace him, if it's true there's still boosters pushing for Earl Watson, i'd rather stay with Alford. If they're going to get a real coach, then by all means make the move.

This was a big deal for Alford but they still have to finish well. If they lose to ASu and tank down the stretch it won't save him.

Recall after the Pac 12 tourney win Miller said in the lockerroom he'd never lose to Alford again. I had figured that was going to be true because Alford would get fired, guess not. I was actually surprised Alford and Miller shook hands. There's talk that in the pre game shootaround there was some "conflict" between some of the players and that may have given UCLA the extra motivation to come out fired up.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We're entering Howland zone I feel like.

You always have to recruit your system regardless of star ranking.

Pretty much agree, Miller has a bunch of mercenaries now. The interesting thing is , Alkins is one of them but plays hard, and frankly I think Miller has gotten Ayton to play much harder than he did in HS, but Trier, PJC, Ristic and the bench(save Pinder and Akot) they're all there to get theirs. Randolph and Smith are no conscience volume shooters.

One play last night defined the issue to me, Trier giving up that dunk to Welsh and then blaming his team when he knew perfectly well there was no help. They ran the same play later for GG against Alkins, Rawle stayed behind him, bodied up, and GG missed the shot. Trier just gave fake went for a steal and then gave up the dunk. When he's on Trier is an amazing offensive player but when your problem is defense, he's not the guy you expect to pull things together, which is why I can't believe Miller let him guard Holiday, that start was predictable given that matchup

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We're entering Howland zone I feel like.

You always have to recruit your system regardless of star ranking.

Howland repeatedly got his team’s to the final 8, and then 4 couple times and even the title game.

Miller WISHES he was ever in the Howland zone.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Howland repeatedly got his team’s to the final 8, and then 4 couple times and even the title game.

Miller WISHES he was ever in the Howland zone.
Howland also missed the tournament 4 times in 11 years, had two losing seasons, less conference championships, and an inferior winning percentage both OOC and within the conference. They also have the same amount of final 8 appearances. Howland was just 3-0 in those games while Miller is 0-3 by a combined 10 points.

Reactions: TJ

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well at least we knocked SC out of the tourney.

They're still on the bubble I think but I think they're leaning out where UCLA is now leaning in with the win over UA.