Are we in an Offensive Rebuild?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Denver's roster isn't much more attractive IMO. That team stunk and Wilson was a very expensive corpse out there.

True but Denver has an ownership group that has proven they'll go the extra mile to be competitive.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
barely anything to spend, holes all over, more than likely a backup qb for most of the season

This team is primed for the 1st overall pick next season. Monti Ossenfort will have plenty of opportunities this year and next in the draft to gather and assembled an entirely new team. I really hope and the new draft guru from detroit can right the ship..

We are #12 in cap space with very little tied to future years. We can be as aggressive as we want to be this off season with decent cap management. I personally would not be aggressive until 2024. Treat next year as a reset and accumulate as many high draft picks / comp picks as possible.

Right now only Kyler and Jalen Thompson are on this team in 2025. It will be somewhere around 180 million in cap space. Kyler's contract amazingly goes back to rookie contract levels so you can build this team however you want.

Create an identity to build towards next year. It's not rebuilding. It's recreating and redefining

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would WAY rather suck this year and let people chase QBs twice via trade and try to build a real team in two years. Best case is that Carappolo goes to Houston so we are guaranteed one of the 2 best QBs is on the board when we pick and do a 1 pick slide with the Colts.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
We are #12 in cap space with very little tied to future years. We can be as aggressive as we want to be this off season with decent cap management. I personally would not be aggressive until 2024. Treat next year as a reset and accumulate as many high draft picks / comp picks as possible.

Right now only Kyler and Jalen Thompson are on this team in 2025. It will be somewhere around 180 million in cap space. Kyler's contract amazingly goes back to rookie contract levels so you can build this team however you want.

Create an identity to build towards next year. It's not rebuilding. It's recreating and redefining
I'd still resign the valuable pieces of this team, but trade away older players. Josh Jones was decent at LT, maybe look to move Humphries if the team can get a solid pick for him.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
WR
D-Hop wants out, I'd be surprised if he doesn't get his wish. Dortch is no longer signed. We have Hollywood for 1 more year. We do have Moore and that dude Robbie Anderson signed thru 2024

If Monti is serious about being more physical, he might want to bring in receivers that can block. Right now we have none. It's really glaring when you watch the Cardinals screen game vs teams in the playoffs.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No. How are we in a rebuild?

Yes, we need to resign/replace several linemen but otherwise our starting offense next year currently looks pretty much the same as last year.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'd still resign the valuable pieces of this team, but trade away older players. Josh Jones was decent at LT, maybe look to move Humphries if the team can get a solid pick for him.
Josh Jones needed constant help at LT. you don’t get better by casting off your best players.

Yes, we need to resign/replace several linemen but otherwise our starting offense next year currently looks pretty much the same as last year.
Cool. Pretty much the same as one of the worst offenses in the NFL.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Our starting offense did a bang-up job last year, did it? Also replacing several lineman isn't easy and trends towards a rebuild, especially when there are other problems on the offense, the other line needs several lineman replaced, two of your best defensive players are free agents, and...yeah, the list goes on. But, nah, no rebuild necessary. We should carry on the Keim way--try to patch holes with bad contracts and never actually try to fix the roster with a real build.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Our starting offense did a bang-up job last year, did it? Also replacing several lineman isn't easy and trends towards a rebuild, especially when there are other problems on the offense, the other line needs several lineman replaced, two of your best defensive players are free agents, and...yeah, the list goes on. But, nah, no rebuild necessary. We should carry on the Keim way--try to patch holes with bad contracts and never actually try to fix the roster with a real build.
Since Murray stays and injuries took a big toll, I’m not sure sure performance is the best measure. They were bad, but they have some useful parts. Maybe a partial rebuild is the best description.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Josh Jones needed constant help at LT. you don’t get better by casting off your best players.

Cool. Pretty much the same as one of the worst offenses in the NFL.

What happened to the "It was all Kliff and the scheme and bad coaching made Kyler play bad and a new coach will fix all that" narrative?

Are we also going to ignore (again)

1) the huge number of injuries we had
2) that pretty much the same offense won 11 games the year before

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since Murray stays and injuries took a big toll, I’m not sure sure performance is the best measure. They were bad, but they have some useful parts. Maybe a partial rebuild is the best description.
This. I don’t see it as a rebuild unless you consider a new system a rebuild.

Yes we have to find 5 decent O-linemen from what we have currently on the roster/ injured players, free agents and draft.

We desperately need a speed back, maybe 2. An offensive line can only create a running hole for so long. Blocking for a corvette is easier than blocking for a Hummer.

We need to reshuffle this Wr room. We have too many mosquitoes and no bulk. Whether it’s extend Hopkins or extend Hopkins to trade him or trade Hollywood would be a start. Anderdon is as good as gone. Dortch and Moore are here for sure and would be a great platooning. Wesley will get a shot but I hope we can do better. We need some size and bulk. A guy like Michael Pittman.

And finally, how do we fill in the Qb position? I’m afraid McCoy will be the choice but I’m hoping for a guy like Brissett or Bridgewater. If Kyler isn’t ready until the middle of November and if we are 2-7 do we really bring him back this year? I highly doubt MCCoy would hold up over 17 games. So do we really want to watch 1/2 a season of McSorely?

I don’t expect a winning season but I’m hoping we can field a competitive team and watch a new system develop.

Stout

Reaction score
What happened to the "It was all Kliff and the scheme and bad coaching made Kyler play bad and a new coach will fix all that" narrative?

Uh, that was never a narrative I pushed? That's what happened to it.

You thinking we're going to have "pretty much the same offense that won 11 games" is funny.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t expect a winning season but I’m hoping we can field a competitive team and watch a new system develop.
That's what I'm hoping for

A team that fights hard and shows improvement as the season goes on

Coaching staff that can teach and work with the young guys. Make adjustments as games progress

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I’ve NEVER claimed Kliff was the whole problem and always proclaimed this as a 3 prong problem with the 3K boys ( not dismissing Bidwill).
How anybody wants to divide the blame is up to each individual. Sadly the only salvageable part of this was Murray. Even if you thought he was 90% of the problem we can’t move on from him yet because of the brilliant ill timed new contract.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Not my narrative and not yours either. All the personnel are going to be working within a different system, anyway.

Also, the same offense in 2021 was more supported by a top 10 defense by DVOA; it wasn’t any kind of juggernaut. Also also, wherefore Christian Kirk?

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yes, we are in a very offensive and vomitous rebuild.
As long as the GM/FO has a plan moving forward, I’d be fine with another top 5 pick next year. As a longtime Cardinal fan, the draft has been more fun for me to watch than the SB, with the exception of 1.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not my narrative and not yours either. All the personnel are going to be working within a different system, anyway.

Also, the same offense in 2021 was more supported by a top 10 defense by DVOA; it wasn’t any kind of juggernaut. Also also, wherefore Christian Kirk?

"But we lost Christian Kirk" is hilarious.

Hopkins (Vegas odds are trending him staying)
Brown
Rondale
Dortch
Tweezy
Ertz
McBride
Kyler

That's a perfectly good offense. One I am sure will also be added to in some shape or another.

You can argue there are some holes, there certainly are on the O line, but there is no way it's a "rebuild".

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
"But we lost Christian Kirk" is hilarious.

Hopkins (Vegas odds are trending him staying)
Brown
Rondale
Dortch
Tweezy
Ertz
McBride
Kyler

That's a perfectly good offense. One I am sure will also be added to in some shape or another.

You can argue there are some holes, there certainly are on the O line, but there is no way it's a "rebuild".
Tweezy is a hilarious mention considering you was slandering the guy hardcore back in 2021/last year.

Stout

Reaction score
True, but:

We are missing an entire IOL. Our RT is ancient. Our star WR is old, disgruntled, and may very well not be on the team. He may also very well be starting a decline. Our #2 is iffy and isn't on a long-term contract. Our #3 isn't worth counting on (although Dortch can step into that spot). We don't have good blocking WRs or any big WRs outside of DHop. We don't have an explosive RB. Our QB is hurt and has issues himself. Injuries can help excuse the past, but won't help us in evaluating the future. We can't count on Rondale, that much is obvious. Those injured IOL are going to be retired/gone. Hollywood will be back, but for how long and how much will he give us?

Our offense is far from set. I don't think a partial rebuild will cut it.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think you mean only Kyler and Thompson are on this team in 2026.

And what do you mean by Kyler's contract goes back to rookie contract levels?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And a 100% Kyler. And AJ Green being somewhat relevant in 2021. Or a complimentary back for Connor. Or a totally healthy Connor. Or Hudson and probably Pugh.

But outside of Kirk, productive Green, Chase, likely Hudson and Pugh AND a healthy Kyler, it’s basically the same offense as 2021!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose