Are Cards tanking?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I mean, that may have been true with the roster they went into 2022 with, but this team isn’t going to look much like the at one, and the 2024 version will look even less so.

If the team think it just needs a few tweaks they’re going about it in a hamfisted way.
I'm not arguing that it is.

I think they think it isn't that far off. It's folly.

WiscoBird

Veteran
Reaction score
They can call it whatever they want. All I know is when the bookmakers come out with their over/under win totals this year I'm putting the house on under.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Everyone remembers our QB is out with an ACL right? So you have 2 options.

You do what Steve Keim would do. You sticking plaster the whole thing. You restructure a bunch of guys to clear more cap. You sign Matt Ryan and say his form last year was a blip and he's still Matt Ryan. You sign Bud Dupree, Ben Jones and Marcus Peters for more money than they are worth and tell everyone the team has a shot in a poor NFC.

Then we go 6-11 or 7-10. We have no cap space to carry over. Worse, all the deals for the middling vets kick the can down the road so they are eating up a bigger chunk of the 2024 cap you were going to have.

2024 by way of necessity becomes another sticking plaster year. And so on and so worth. We have seen this movie 5 or 6 times.

Or you accept that missing your QB for a bunch of games on a roster already missing a strong foundation is almost impossible to overcome and embrace the suck. You look for value and players to improve the depth and plan to make a run in 2024. You trade back in the draft to pick up more picks and get younger.

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
Everyone remembers our QB is out with an ACL right? So you have 2 options.

You do what Steve Keim would do. You sticking plaster the whole thing. You restructure a bunch of guys to clear more cap. You sign Matt Ryan and say his form last year was a blip and he's still Matt Ryan. You sign Bud Dupree, Ben Jones and Marcus Peters for more money than they are worth and tell everyone the team has a shot in a poor NFC.

Then we go 6-11 or 7-10. We have no cap space to carry over. Worse, all the deals for the middling vets kick the can down the road so they are eating up a bigger chunk of the 2024 cap you were going to have.

2024 by way of necessity becomes another sticking plaster year. And so on and so worth. We have seen this movie 5 or 6 times.

Or you accept that missing your QB for a bunch of games on a roster already missing a strong foundation is almost impossible to overcome and embrace the suck. You look for value and players to improve the depth and plan to make a run in 2024. You trade back in the draft to pick up more picks and get younger.

This is exactly correct, and the move we should be happy we are making. We are finally doing a "rebuild" or "reload" or whatever you want to call it the right way. We finally cleaned house in the front office. We hired new coaches, now we need to essentially give them a clean slate to work with, and that takes a year at least.

Do not spend any money in this FA class. Get maximum value for your draft picks. Play a bunch of young players next year and see what they got......its this time NEXT year that we will really see a play put into place to build a team.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Cincinnati Bengals appeared in the Super Bowl the season after their QB suffered and ACL tear.

Burrow's ACL injury was earlier. His surgery a full month before Kylers. Joe Burrow was back for game 1. Joe Burrow is not a QB that relies on his mobility.

Joe Burrow is a much better QB than Kyler.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's not only Kyler's injury that screws this season.

Even if Kyler was fit the cap space is not good. Certainly not enough to do the work required to rebuild this roster.

I mentioned this a couple of months ago. It looked good on paper but when you consider how many players we were losing and the rookie draft pool money required we could easily have used up all the available cap space just treading water.

I covered it here in this thread where doubters can see I let Murphy walk and only paid Allen $11m. And even after all that we only had $20m with $13m required for rookies.

Even if Kyler was healthy I think we would be doing a similar thing to what we are doing now.

Also in this thread @Chopper0080 predicted that Allen, Murphy etc would be gone so I don't know why the shock.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This is exactly correct, and the move we should be happy we are making. We are finally doing a "rebuild" or "reload" or whatever you want to call it the right way. We finally cleaned house in the front office. We hired new coaches, now we need to essentially give them a clean slate to work with, and that takes a year at least.

Do not spend any money in this FA class. Get maximum value for your draft picks. Play a bunch of young players next year and see what they got......its this time NEXT year that we will really see a play put into place to build a team.
reload implies one already has the weapon, rebuild sounds right

Cardinal88

Veteran
Reaction score
When do you think we'll finally hear someone not blame the Cards failures on Keim? I'm guessing 2028.
Should only take two years. This year to get rid of the guys they didn’t want or couldn’t afford and next year to get rid of the fat. After that, it’s on the current regime.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I doubt the Cardinals think they are tanking.

I think they are clearing the cap and will attempt to bring in their type of players.
I don't think they think they are either. Otherwise we wouldn't have gotten the Hump deal, and we'd be rid of Ertz and Conner. This is terrible for us, because either the new regime doesn't understand how bad things are, or they do and think that THIS is the way forward.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think they think they are either. Otherwise we wouldn't have gotten the Hump deal, and we'd be rid of Ertz and Conner. This is terrible for us, because either the new regime doesn't understand how bad things are, or they do and think that THIS is the way forward.
Hump was just a restructure to move the cap hits around. He was still on the team and was getting paid no matter what. I still don't agree with Conner because he will be gone next year.

I do think that if this team was fully tanking, they would let Ertz go.

Stout

Reaction score
Hump was just a restructure to move the cap hits around. He was still on the team and was getting paid no matter what. I still don't agree with Conner because he will be gone next year.

I do think that if this team was fully tanking, they would let Ertz go.
Hump's restructure pushes cash to the future for the sake of the now. Why, if we're tanking? Cutting Conner this year saves us 2 million against the cap next season. Why not, if we're tanking?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cards are not Tanking. Tanking implies that you are not trying to win. I am and will always be against tanking. It's a total loser mentality that I want no part of.

What is going on now is a roster reset by the new administration.

Stout

Reaction score
The Cards are not Tanking. Tanking implies that you are not trying to win. I am and will always be against tanking. It's a total loser mentality that I want no part of.

What is going on now is a roster reset by the new administration.
Except they're only kinda halfheartedly trying to reset the roster.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
If we end up with the number one pick next year I hope they draft a QB whether it be Caleb Williams or someone else we will need a new QB.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hump's restructure pushes cash to the future for the sake of the now. Why, if we're tanking? Cutting Conner this year saves us 2 million against the cap next season. Why not, if we're tanking?
I never agreed that we were fully tanking. I think Bidwill wants to be competitive without truly doing the things that make us competitive. He's doing the 'field the best team that I can without spending 10s of millions of dollars doing so' dance.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose