Any chance of soccer in Arizona?

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
I love soccer and would like an MLS team here. I thought there could be a chance since Phoenix is a pretty big area and we have a lot of sports teams already, even lacrosse.... In the MLS the East has one more team than the West so do you guys think there's any chance that we get a team here to even it out? I hope so, I've been looking at a team to find one that I could follow and...

Chicago- It brings me thoughts of the Bulls beating the Suns and the Bears and their fan, so it's a no.

Columbus- f*cking Ohio State!

D.C. United- I like Adu I guess but I'd feel too much like a bandwagoner....

Kansas City- Kansas? Bad team, homosexual logo...

New York- I don't like New York sports... and they are called the Red Bulls! Come on!

New England- Their fans bug me, the sports fans I met on forums are real *****, and I hate all Massachusetts teams except the Celts and that's just because they aren't good now.

Toronto- Canadians....

Chivas- Non-American

Colorado- Reminds me of spoiled children which piss me off

FC Dallas- Not happening, Mavericks, Cowboys, Longhorns, Stars and the rest, I hate 'em all, not so much the Mavs but they are the Suns biggest challenge this year so I'm learning to hate them.

Salt Lake- Hah, Utah....I don't like 'em

LA- HAH! No need to explain, those bitchez.

I was thinking of Houston since I like De Rosario but they are in Tejas and that state bugs me. And they won the championship so I don't just want to jump on the wagon.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Chicago- It brings me thoughts of the Bulls beating the Suns and the Bears and their fan, so it's a no.

Columbus- f*cking Ohio State!

D.C. United- I like Adu I guess but I'd feel too much like a bandwagoner....
Adu is in Salt Lake now

Kansas City- Kansas? Bad team, homosexual logo...

New York- I don't like New York sports... and they are called the Red Bulls! Come on!

New England- Their fans bug me, the sports fans I met on forums are real *****, and I hate all Massachusetts teams except the Celts and that's just because they aren't good now.

Toronto- Canadians....

Chivas- Non-American

Colorado- Reminds me of spoiled children which piss me off

FC Dallas- Not happening, Mavericks, Cowboys, Longhorns, Stars and the rest, I hate 'em all, not so much the Mavs but they are the Suns biggest challenge this year so I'm learning to hate them.

Salt Lake- Hah, Utah....I don't like 'em

LA- HAH! No need to explain, those bitchez.

I was thinking of Houston since I like De Rosario but they are in Tejas and that state bugs me. And they won the championship so I don't just want to jump on the wagon.

As for whether Arizona would get an MLS team...I doubt it, the majority of their season is in the summer and they will only expand to cities now with promises of soccer-only stadiums, so unless AZ can build a domed stadium with natural grass that seats under 30K I don't see it happening.

I personally don't follow a particular MLS team. I watch for certain players, mostly guys I think can have an impact on the National Team. I suppose if I lived in a city that had a team I'd support it but I don't.

OP
OP
N

Nasser22

Reaction score
Yeah I just found out Adu went to Salt Lake, what was the full trade?

That's unfortunate...I would've loved to see a team here but if they wouldn't give a team to a city that would make it share one of the very many stadiums we have then I guess it's not happening. :(

OP
OP
N

Nasser22

Reaction score
You sure ASU won't share their stadium again. :p University of Utah shares with Salt Lake

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
You sure ASU won't share their stadium again. :p University of Utah shares with Salt Lake

MLS is pushing for soccer only stadiums at all venues. Salt Lake is in the mist of pushing for a new stadium right now, the weather in the summer in AZ is always going to be a factor. 110+ just isn't good weather to play a 90 minute game.

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score
you are going to need some help with chants and thing if you do get a team!

i expect to paid to travel over by MLS as official fan advisor!

i think it will start of with how to eat your mince pie whilst holding your Bovril in the same hand

OP
OP
N

Nasser22

Reaction score
So, every day in Biology we read the paper and late last week I skimmed through an article talking about a guy trying to bring pro soccer to Arizona! It talked about how he was trying to get a group together or something...but if he didn't get to start a team he at least wanted to bring more soccer games here. Anyone else remember something like that? I'll try to find the article.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't understand why they would put a team in Houston or Dallas but not AZ. The heat in those cities with humidity is worse than AZ. But I really think that Cardinals Stadium would be ideal. I know they want soccer specific, but it would fill some dates for the stadium and have AC. We have a big enough city the attendance would be respectable. If I was a local investor, I would swoop in and grab Real Salt lake from Checketts and bring them to U of P. I think it would be a hit. Cardinals Stadium is way nicer than most big MLS venues so maybe MLS would reconsider.

OP
OP
N

Nasser22

Reaction score
I don't understand why they would put a team in Houston or Dallas but not AZ. The heat in those cities with humidity is worse than AZ. But I really think that Cardinals Stadium would be ideal. I know they want soccer specific, but it would fill some dates for the stadium and have AC. We have a big enough city the attendance would be respectable. If I was a local investor, I would swoop in and grab Real Salt lake from Checketts and bring them to U of P. I think it would be a hit. Cardinals Stadium is way nicer than most big MLS venues so maybe MLS would reconsider.
That would be good, but I don't think the Bidwills would want to share again....I would love Salt Lake's team here though.

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
i know that guy he is the mens and womens soccer coach of my alma mater Grand Canyon University

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
From all reports, Real Salt Lake's days may be numbered. If I'm Phoenix, I'm definitely taking a look at this.

U Of Phoenix Field would be ideal for the team. I'm sure if it lands them additional income, the Bidwills would have no problems sharing the field.

As for the "heat", hey it's the National Sport of Mexico, which certainly isn't cold weather climate.

I can see it now.. Valley of the Sun FC.. Or something along those lines.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
From all reports, Real Salt Lake's days may be numbered. If I'm Phoenix, I'm definitely taking a look at this.

U Of Phoenix Field would be ideal for the team. I'm sure if it lands them additional income, the Bidwills would have no problems sharing the field.

As for the "heat", hey it's the National Sport of Mexico, which certainly isn't cold weather climate.

I can see it now.. Valley of the Sun FC.. Or something along those lines.

In Mexico the pro season isn't played during the summer, the US needs to adopt a better season, thats part of the big problem. Europe is in full swing and MLS hasn't played since October/November.

MLS next stops will likely be St Louis, Milwaukee, possibly a third team in the state of NY(likely Rochester--it already has a stadium and a succesful A-League team), the Carolinas, Philly, Seattle(also with a succesful A League team) or a return to San Jose.

OP
OP
N

Nasser22

Reaction score
Well, U of P Stadium has a roof so the heat won't be a problem at all. I think soccer can be big here with the Hispanic population....I really hope we can get a team here.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That would be good, but I don't think the Bidwills would want to share again....I would love Salt Lake's team here though.

Big difference. The Bidwills would be the landlord, not the tenant, and the seasons barely overlap.

As far as Rochester getting a team, not gonna happen ever. The city, no matter how rabid they are is too small in the eyes of MLS which is unfortunate because the fans there deserve it.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
I know Philly is talking about building a soccer only stadium in Camden, so they could be the realistic possibility for the next expansion team.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
camden is scary - that is all

rochester deserves a team - the field is great, the support is great and the Rhinos used to regularly beat the MLS teams when I was a youngin - they can draw from buffalo, syracuse & the entire southern tier

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Big difference. The Bidwills would be the landlord, not the tenant, and the seasons barely overlap.

As far as Rochester getting a team, not gonna happen ever. The city, no matter how rabid they are is too small in the eyes of MLS which is unfortunate because the fans there deserve it.

Rochester has more people than Salt Lake who was awarded the last franchise(before Toronto)...not counting the surrounding communities.

OP
OP
N

Nasser22

Reaction score
More news.

Businessman also eyes bringing MLS to Valley

José E. Garcia
The Arizona Republic
Feb. 6, 2007 12:00 AM
The push to bring a permanent Major League Soccer team to the Valley is gaining momentum.

A prominent Latino businessman is talking to MLS representatives about bringing a team here, according to a source, who also said that a former Phoenix Suns executive not named Colangelo is collaborating with the businessman.

Grand Canyon University coach Petar Draksin and the school's CEO Brent Richardson have also expressed interest for an MLS team, but would like to attract more investors before they can move forward with any plans.

Whether Grand Canyon representatives and the Latino businessman will form a partnership is not known. Draksin's school will host an MLS soccer fest Feb. 18, 20 and 21 with MLS teams FC Dallas and the Columbus Crew participating to promote the need for a team in the Valley.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Stadium Authority (TSA) owns and controls the stadium in Glendale, not the Cardinals. My guess is they would love to have a regular summer tenant like an MLS team.

HooverDam

Reaction score
would the smaller soccer crowds (obviously there isn't going to be 60K a game there) justify running the huge stadium? Would they cover the costs? Also, how would the environment be? Seems like you'd have to curtain off the entire upper deck so it didn't feel like no one was there. Having 15K in a 65K stadium might be a bit odd.

Last edited:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Read this...

>A former Major League Soccer executive is involved with a group interested in bringing an MLS expansion team to the Valley. It was announced that Grand Canyon University soccer coach Petar Draksin has joined the group, which has yet to present plans for a soccer-specific stadium, which the MLS requires for expansion, or identify its investors. A prominent local Latino businessman and a former Phoenix Suns executive are part of the group, according to a source.
-- Arizona Republic<

Bootm line: No soccer specific stadium no MLS team. Any city that wants to be considered either has to have one approved to be built or have one already in place.