Anti-Cardinal ASU Fans

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I've been seeing more and more of this pop up on my social media feeds recently so I wanted to go straight to the source.

Is there still a decent chunk of ASU fans that hate the Cardinals over the lawsuit (that ASU lost mind you) or is it just the lunatic fringe? Or is the lawsuit an excuse and it's mostly over sour grapes and resentment with the Cardinals overtaking them in popularity and relevance and taking what they perceive as some of ASU's share of the Valley's sports dollars?

More curious that anything.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I've been seeing more and more of this pop up on my social media feeds recently so I wanted to go straight to the source.

Is there still a decent chunk of ASU fans that hate the Cardinals over the lawsuit (that ASU lost mind you) or is it just the lunatic fringe? Or is the lawsuit an excuse and it's mostly over sour grapes and resentment with the Cardinals overtaking them in popularity and relevance and taking what they perceive as some of ASU's share of the Valley's sports dollars?

ASU grad and Cardinals fan. ARZ needed a new stadium to get them out of the NFL gutter.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

Lunatic fringe.

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Sounds like a Wildcat "false flag" or prank, but what do I know, I am just and ASU grad, fan & Cardsfan

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I moved to the valley in '01. I know tons and tons of ASU grads who, almost to the person, are passionate Cards fans. I also have 2 kids who attend ASU and they, along with most of their friends and parents of their friends, are both fans of the Devils and the Cards...
This seems like a very odd, off-the-wall thread... :thumbdown

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have seen it - friends that went to ASU that are not Cardinal fans

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I'm a Cardinals and a Sun Devil fan. They go hand-in-hand quite nicely.

I watched the movie "Jerry Maguire" last night and I was digging the references to ASU and the Arizona Cardinals.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suppose there are a few ASU fans still holding resentments. But, it is moronic. The Cardinals not only brought the NFL to the Valley, UofP stadium also greatly benefits college football fans in the valley. Plus, the fact that Tillman loved both the Cards and the Devils ... you have to be a real ********** to still hate the Cardinals over a simple business dispute that was settled about a decade ago.

OP
OP
MaoTosiFanClub

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Sounds like a Wildcat "false flag" or prank, but what do I know, I am just and ASU grad, fan & Cardsfan

It ended up on my Twitter because of some guy named Joe Healey who's a writer for one of the ASU sites. He's a Phoenician who hates the Cardinals and yes he mostly got flak for his comments he did have some support. Wasn't sure if it was the lunatic fringe or if animosity still existed.

If it makes you feel better there is a lunatic fringe of UA fans that likely hate the Cardinals due to their association with Phoenix.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Lived here my whole life and never knew there was a lawsuit or hatred for cards moving to UofP. ASU attendee, fan and a die hard cards fan.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't say I've heard of this but my guess would be that it's that annoying contingent that lives in the valley and just can't bring themselves to cheer for any of the local teams. Just look at how bad things get when a Chicago team comes to town :thumbdown

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lived here my whole life and never knew there was a lawsuit or hatred for cards moving to UofP. ASU attendee, fan and a die hard cards fan.

I'm not sure how you could've possibly missed the lawsuit then. It was a dispute about whether the Cardinals were getting the appropriate amount of signage due to them at SDS. They couldn't resolve it, so the Cardinals went to court. ASU wound up paying a small settlement as they were in the wrong. But, the common take around here was a big pro sports team was bullying a college. This was also when the Cards were having some awful seasons, and piling onto the Bidwills was easy to do.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not sure how you could've possibly missed the lawsuit then. It was a dispute about whether the Cardinals were getting the appropriate amount of signage due to them at SDS. They couldn't resolve it, so the Cardinals went to court. ASU wound up paying a small settlement as they were in the wrong. But, the common take around here was a big pro sports team was bullying a college. This was also when the Cards were having some awful seasons, and piling onto the Bidwills was easy to do.

I guess I didn't care as I was happy they were getting their own stadium and didn't listen to the little things. :p

chickenhead

Reaction score
I've seen this. In fact, in my circle the bigger Cardinals fans were more likely to be U of A grads than ASU grads, and not just because of the red. A lot of fans' loyalty runs deeper with ASU than the Cards. Many of them didn't like it when the field at SDS, which had been one of the best in the nation, started to look butchered--all for the benefit of a pro team that was suing the school for revenue from a stadium that wasn't theirs while waiting for the public to build them a new one. And keep in mind that the Cardinals still had only a single winning season (at 9-7) in Arizona, and were still doing things like letting Plummer and Boston walk in the same offseason. (Posters here have their opinions about Plummer, and Boston didn't help his own case, but to the average fan at the time? More cheapskating).

This is the second Bidwill "reminder" I've made in as many days: I'm not trying to have an axe to grind, but sometimes people have a hard time understanding why some Phoenicians never became Cards fans. The Bidwills spent a long time giving them good reasons not to...

[PS - says the guy with Cardinals-era SDS as his avatar :)]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn