Ant-Man

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Is it just me, or has Michael Douglas become a dead ringer for his old man Kirk?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meh. This trailer really didn't do anything for me. I had a flash of Honey I Shrunk the Kids.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's wrong with Honey, I Shrunk the Kids - MARVEL STYLE! ??

I have expected Rick Moranis to pop up in a scene. Probably more than any recent Marvel property this one is going to skate on the ridiculous (not in a good way). It's only a trailer though so you can make a judgement from that. I hope it's kick ass but I am super skeptical.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I have expected Rick Moranis to pop up in a scene. Probably more than any recent Marvel property this one is going to skate on the ridiculous (not in a good way). It's only a trailer though so you can make a judgement from that. I hope it's kick ass but I am super skeptical.

The word I use for it is "intriguing". Paul Rudd has been a certain type of actor for many, many years, and for him to switch to this kind of role is interesting, to say the least. I really like the guy, so he's worth the price of the ticket, IMO.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was a little surprised at how MEH that trailer was... Until I remembered that this project has been through some major pre-pro problems and a last second page one rewrite/director swap.

Good cast though.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was a little surprised at how MEH that trailer was... Until I remembered that this project has been through some major pre-pro problems and a last second page one rewrite/director swap.

Good cast though.

Yep. I said from the get go this was going to be hard to nail. I mean, not every comic needs to be a movie and doesn't translate well. I think the production issues and changes was a direct reflection of that.

I hope the trailer is not a reflection because I also like Paul Rudd and as you stated the cast is a good one.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. I said from the get go this was going to be hard to nail. I mean, not every comic needs to be a movie and doesn't translate well. I think the production issues and changes was a direct reflection of that.

I hope the trailer is not a reflection because I also like Paul Rudd and as you stated the cast is a good one.

Agreed.

I'm a big Marvel buff but had some real reservations on if this could translate to the big screen. After seeing this trailer, I'm feeling worse, not better.

"Oh lawdy, lawdy..... PLEASE let be be wrong!!!!"

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Considering both Ant-Man and the Wasp were founding members of the Avengers and weren't included in the Avengers' movie...I think they are due a film of their own. Even then these characters are getting the shaft because it isn't the true Ant-Man/Wasp combo from the comics.

Heck, Janet Van Dyne (the Wasp) is the one who named the Avengers after she and Pym suggested forming a team of superheroes (after a group effort to defeat Loki).

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Considering both Ant-Man and the Wasp were founding members of the Avengers and weren't included in the Avengers' movie...I think they are due a film of their own. Even then these characters are getting the shaft because it isn't the true Ant-Man/Wasp combo from the comics.

Heck, Janet Van Dyne (the Wasp) is the one who named the Avengers after she and Pym suggested forming a team of superheroes (after a group effort to defeat Loki).

Not everything from the comics is translatable IMO. Even in the current films things have changed. I think Ant-Man in the Avengers would have completely changed the dynamic of the movie and not in a good way. The Wasp? Talk about adding camp to the the Avengers.

No thank you. Happy they were not included. If they can prove that is can be done without making it ridiculous you can always add them later. Heck it was difficult to nail a character like the Hulk.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not everything from the comics is translatable IMO. Even in the current films things have changed. I think Ant-Man in the Avengers would have completely changed the dynamic of the movie and not in a good way. The Wasp? Talk about adding camp to the the Avengers.

No thank you. Happy they were not included. If they can prove that is can be done without making it ridiculous you can always add them later. Heck it was difficult to nail a character like the Hulk.

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited by a moderator:

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I see some "camp" there, as well as a bit of a ripoff from the first Iron Man (Bad Guy: "Oh yeah? Well if you've got a bad-arsed suit, I'll make one, too and kick your butt.")

This looks like it might be fun, but I'm having trouble buying that it will be on a par with the other current Marvel sups.....

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Interesting. I see some "camp" there, as well as a bit of a ripoff from the first Iron Man (Bad Guy: "Oh yeah? Well if you've got a bad-arsed suit, I'll make one, too and kick your butt.")

This looks like it might be fun, but I'm having trouble buying that it will be on a par with the other current Marvel sups.....

I like the camp, and I also like the fact that their a bit self-effacing with certain elements of the more silly aspects of Ant-Man. I just hope they don't over do it in the final product.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This appears that it might be more humerous than other Marvel movies and not taking itself so seriously. I think that's exactly what is needed. I have a hard time taking this movie seriously and it has not come out.

This might be the right balance to have a more "light" comic film.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Looks good, but what a weird concept. Transform to an ant? Really? I'll watch it of course, just not sure if it will be the one that will end up having 10 squeals.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks good, but what a weird concept. Transform to an ant? Really? I'll watch it of course, just not sure if it will be the one that will end up having 10 squeals.

He's been around for over 50 years.

In the comics, Pym used the Pym particles to transform himself into Ant-Man (and later Yellowjacket) and his girlfriend (later his wife) into the Wasp. They were founding members of the Avengers. His wife named the team the Avengers. He also created Ultron and used the particles to make himself larger as well - Goliath, Giant-Man.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's been around for over 50 years.

In the comics, Pym used the Pym particles to transform himself into Ant-Man (and later Yellowjacket) and his girlfriend (later his wife) into the Wasp. They were founding members of the Avengers. His wife named the team the Avengers. He also created Ultron and used the particles to make himself larger as well - Goliath, Giant-Man.

So glad they took this direction though. Keeping with the comics would have changed the dynamic of the entire Marvel universe. You can't argue with the success of the decisions they made.

I think Ant-Man and even Dr. Strange are to test the waters on stuff much less grounded so to speak. Keeping those a arm's length away and letting them stand on their own is smart IMO.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Okay, alright, they've done it. Marvel now officially owns Hollywood. If they can make an Ant Man THIS entertaining, I think the other studios should just dip their figurative heads and bow down.

I mean, was it Guardians of the Galaxy, the Avengers, Cap 2, the original Iron Man? No, of course not. Let's not go crazy. Was it fun as hell and a really good movie? Was it an A? Will I re-watch it in the theater? Yes to all, yes to all.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ant-Man

Release Date: July 17, 2015 (3D/2D theaters and IMAX)
Studio: Walt Disney Pictures, Marvel Studios
Director: Peyton Reed
MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for sci-fi action violence)
Screenwriters: Adam McKay, Paul Rudd, Edgar Wright, Joe Cornish
Genre: Action, Adventure

Starring: Paul Rudd, Michael Douglas, Michael Pena, Evangeline Lilly, Corey Stoll, David Dastmalchian, T.I. , Judy Greer, Bobby Cannavale, Martin Donovan, Wood Harris, John Slattery, Gregg Turkington, Abby Ryder Fortson, David Dastmalchian

Plot Summary: A founding member of Marve's The Avengers is brought to the screen for the first time in “Ant-Man.” Armed with the astonishing ability to shrink in scale but increase in strength, master thief Scott Lang must embrace his inner hero and help his mentor, Dr. Hank Pym, protect the secret behind his spectacular Ant-Man suit from a new generation of towering threats. Against seemingly insurmountable obstacles, Pym and Lang must plan and pull off a heist that will save the world. “Ant-Man” stars Paul Rudd as Scott Lang, AKA Ant-Man, Evangeline Lilly as Hope Van Dyne, Corey Stoll as Darren Cross aka Yellowjacket, Bobby Cannavale as Paxton, Michael Peña as Luis, Judy Greer as Maggie, Tip “Ti” Harris as Dave, David Dastmalchian as Kurt, Wood Harris as Gale, Jordi Mollà as Castillo and Michael Douglas as Hank Pym. Directed by Peyton Reed and produced by Kevin Feige, Marvel’s “Ant-Man” delivers a high-stakes, tension-filled adventure on July 17, 2015.

You must be registered for see images attach

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, alright, they've done it. Marvel now officially owns Hollywood. If they can make an Ant Man THIS entertaining, I think the other studios should just dip their figurative heads and bow down.

I mean, was it Guardians of the Galaxy, the Avengers, Cap 2, the original Iron Man? No, of course not. Let's not go crazy. Was it fun as hell and a really good movie? Was it an A? Will I re-watch it in the theater? Yes to all, yes to all.

Totally agree. Easily one of my favorite Marvel movies of all time.

Fun Fun Fun movie to watch. I will see it again this weekend.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard