OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marvel Finds Its 'Ant-Man' in Paul Rudd

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/marvel-finds-ant-man-paul-666812?mobile_redirect=false

Marvel has found the star on their next giant movie, Ant-Man.

Paul Rudd had been chosen to star in the movie, which is being directed by Edgar Wright and already has a release date of July 31, 2015.

Rudd was in contention for the role with Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and although Rudd was the front-runner for some time, Marvel took its time pulling the trigger. Some speculate that when Gordon-Levitt became attached to Sandman, based on a character by Marvel’s rival, DC Entertainment, that only hastened the dealmaking.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully he is Hank Pym and not Scott Lang or Eric O'Grady.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully he is Hank Pym and not Scott Lang or Eric O'Grady.

Ugh.

Michael Douglas to Play Hank Pym in Marvel’s ‘Ant-Man’

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/michael-douglas-ant-man-1201052848/

Observers have been curious for some time to see how Wright would handle the universe of “Ant-Man,” since the superhero was portrayed in the comicbooks by both Pym and Scott Lang, whom Rudd will be playing. Pym was the scientist who originally created a chemical that allowed him to change his size, and when he retired, he handled the title of “Ant-Man” to Lang.

Wright had already surprised people by naming Rudd, who is better known for comedic roles than action roles, for the part of Lang, so it seems he’s going to be taking “Ant-Man” in a different direction than fans of the comic might be expecting.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't care if this every made it to film to begin with. Michael Douglas playing a "retired" Pym....could make sense but Paul Rudd? I actually like Paul Rudd but not in a role like this. This has better be a GREAT script or this movie is simply going to be a dud.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
man, that news sucks. I wasn't a fan of Scott Pilgrim, but I LOVE Shaun Of The Dead/The Worlds End and thought his comic sensibilities and ability to stage pretty great action sequences would have brought a lot to this movie.

and it's release date is only a little more then a year away? man...they must have HATED what he was shooting to make a change this late in the game for a summer tentpole/hopeful franchise.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
man, that news sucks. I wasn't a fan of Scott Pilgrim, but I LOVE Shaun Of The Dead/The Worlds End and thought his comic sensibilities and ability to stage pretty great action sequences would have brought a lot to this movie.

and it's release date is only a little more then a year away? man...they must have HATED what he was shooting to make a change this late in the game for a summer tentpole/hopeful franchise.

There is another possibility. It's possible he didn't like elements of the film like the script or cast and was trying to make changes and told no. That happens all the time. If that is the case, it doesn't bode well for this film.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
There is another possibility. It's possible he didn't like elements of the film like the script or cast and was trying to make changes and told no. That happens all the time. If that is the case, it doesn't bode well for this film.

He is a cowriter and has been heading up this project for years. In fact, he has been in on the ground floor with Marvel and helped influence their Avengers roll-out strategy.

So...big loss.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is a cowriter and has been heading up this project for years. In fact, he has been in on the ground floor with Marvel and helped influence their Avengers roll-out strategy.

So...big loss.

I doubt it. He might have helped put the initial strategy together and been a big part of this film but I don't care much about it. I care more about the overall verse. Joss Whedon knows what he is doing and there is a reason they put him in charge of the Marvel verse to create some continuity.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adam McKay to Replace Edgar Wright as ‘Ant-Man’ Director

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/adam-mckay-to-replace-edgar-wright-as-ant-man-director-1201199467/

“Anchorman” director Adam McKay is in advanced talks to replace Edgar Wright as helmer of Marvel’s “Ant-Man,” sources confirm to Variety. Wright had been attached to the superhero project since 2006 before resigning last week over creative differences.

“Ant-Man,” expected to film later this summer, is still slated for theatrical release on July 17, 2015. Disney will distribute the movie.

The WME-repped McKay has a long history with star Paul Rudd, having directed the actor in both “Anchorman” comedies.

Rudd leads an “Ant-Man” cast that includes Oscar-winner Michael Douglas and Evangeline Lilly.

Sources believe Wright walked away from the project on May 23 after Marvel altered a version of the script he and Joe Cornish had written without their knowledge.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And - the hunt for a director continues...

Adam McKay Pulls Out of 'Ant-Man' Director Negotiations

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/adam-mckay-pulls-ant-man-708450

Scratch Adam McKay off the list of replacements for Ant-Man helmer Edgar Wright.

Negotiations began with McKay in earnest on Friday but the Anchorman director abruptly decided against taking the job on the film, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. The decision is said to be his alone.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am going to double down. I think this points to a crappy script. Losing multiple directors usually means they are not giving enough creative control to change things up or possibly make cast changes etc.

This is going to be an EPIC fail.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Director Peyton Reed and Writer Adam McKay Join Marvel's Ant-Man

http://marvel.com/news/movies/2014/...adam_mckay_join_marvels_ant-man#ixzz33yuAjt1S

When Marvel's "Ant-Man" hits theaters July 17, 2015, director Peyton Reed will help shepherd the hero into the Marvel Cinematic Universe with a cast led by Paul Rudd and Michael Douglas, with writer Adam McKay contributing to the film's script.

----------------------------

Here's a synopsis that the studio released:

Armed with the astonishing ability to shrink in scale but increase in strength, con-man Scott Lang (Paul Rudd) must embrace his inner-hero and help his mentor, Dr. Hank Pym (Michael Douglas), protect the secret behind his spectacular Ant-Man suit from a new generation of towering threats. Against seemingly insurmountable obstacles, Pym and Lang must plan and pull off a heist that will save the world.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Peyton Reed? They scraped the bottom barrel for this one.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score

How did this escape the WB thinktank?

"DUUUUH, let's replace Edgar Wright with the director of Yes Man! And - DUUUH - let's get the writer who wrote Anchorman and Step Brothers; the screenplays of which would have turned out exactly the same if you sat on the keyboard a few times and farted - Duuuuuuh"

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige on why he decided on Reed to direct the film:

"Peyton is someone that I've been a fan of for a long time. People may not remember, though probably your readers remember, that he was attached to Fantastic Four more than 10 years ago. We spent a lot of time together… and I got along with Peyton very, very well and he had awesome ideas and an awesome vision for the movie, and for various reasons he ended up leaving that movie...'Peyton was always on our lists, and so when this happened and Edgar [Wright] said 'Not for me' we met with a handful of people, but Peyton was always one that I thought would be great.

"It was not a slam-dunk that he would just step into it and do it. He wanted to be sure that he was wasn't just inheriting something or following someone else's lead. Or wasn't inheriting something that the evil studio had watered down to be something bad. I kept saying, 'You can either read what's online, or come in and talk to us and look at all this stuff.' He looked at everything, he talked with us, and he said 'Number one, I agree with the direction you’re going in. And number two, I can add to it.' And he has – the movie is in as good a shape as it's ever been right now.'

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First promo art featuring Yellowjacket:

You must be registered for see images attach

Closer look:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know even if this movie ends up being major suckage. The genius behind this "ant size" trailer will forever have my respect.

:biglaugh:

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First poster: