Another Bloodbath at ESPN

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I was a lot happier when ESPN put most of their attention into sports news. But that wouldn't work today. Or, maybe it would work, but only for a much smaller network. If ESPN was willing to trim down to the ESPN of the 80's, it might be able to make a profit just focusing on sports news. But they'd be a niche network instead of the major player they've been for decades now.
I think niches are where you will have to survive in the future. HGTV and Food Network survive because they don't try and get out of their channels. They have formatted shows that fans know what they are and what they are getting. Like the McDonald's of TV. True ESPN is sports, but I NEVER know what's going to be on those channels. Like I said, I roll out of bed to see sports highlights from the day before, and I see the National Pie eating championships, Corn Hole league, and maybe some random college teams like Northern Appalachian State versus the Fighting Beavers of Minnesota. I am not watching that junk! LOL!

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the old ESPN ways were still growing the business they never would've tried to change. The fact is, times are irrevocably changing and a lot fewer young people watch cable even if it is streaming cable like Sling, Fubo or YoutubeTv.

I have three kids 19 to 26. Two, don't have TVs. The oldest, who does, mostly uses theirs for games. My kid who went to college last year refused to take his. Everything is on their phones. They are not going to watch a Sports News news show in any format. If they are interested, they can get the info as fast as they want at the attention span of a gnat pace that they prefer.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the old ESPN ways were still growing the business they never would've tried to change. The fact is, times are irrevocably changing and a lot fewer young people watch cable even if it is streaming cable like Sling, Fubo or YoutubeTv.

I have three kids 19 to 26. Two, don't have TVs. The oldest, who does, mostly uses theirs for games. My kid who went to college last year refused to take his. Everything is on their phones. They are not going to watch a Sports News news show in any format. If they are interested, they can get the info as fast as they want at the attention span of a gnat pace that they prefer.
Neither of my kids, aged 24 and 21, or my step kids, aged 23 and 22, watch TV at all. They use televisions for gaming only and hardly watch any type of tv programs. For them it's all YouTube and stuff like that.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Neither of my kids, aged 24 and 21, or my step kids, aged 23 and 22, watch TV at all. They use televisions for gaming only and hardly watch any type of tv programs. For them it's all YouTube and stuff like that.
How come you aren't in the gameday thread?

Miss you there :mrgreen:

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I don't mind them showing full games from college, pros, etc. However, I want them to have a channel just dedicated to sports news like the good old days with Sports Center 24X7. That's what they are good at. They want to monopolize sports and become the Gott place to watch sports. I think that's a goal too lofty and too big for them to pull off.
They do it's ESPN news

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Ha Ha! I sound like them except I watch sports. I watch a lot of Youtube now.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see full sports on that alll the time.
Yeah anymore they do mostly shows and (often obscure) sporting events when there are scheduling conflicts. It hasn't been a 24 hour news channel in quite awhile.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This is a big “old man yells at cloud” thread.
So how do you watch The Price is Right and Let's Make a Deal without a TV? By the way I don't like the rules on Price because they allow folks to bid 1.00 more than the next guy I root harder for those people to lose than root for our team this year!!!

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So how do you watch The Price is Right and Let's Make a Deal without a TV? By the way I don't like the rules on Price because they allow folks to bid 1.00 more than the next guy I root harder for those people to lose than root for our team this year!!!
CBS has an app and you can stream it right on your phone! It's on other streaming platforms too!

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I knew you weren't serious. There is now an app for literally everything. Which annoys an old guy like me.
You realize of course that our beloved (i go back to the Chicago days) teams last championship was before The Price is Right started and Bill Cullen was host...in black and white!!!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard