Another Bloodbath at ESPN

urs

All Star
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I pretty much stopped watching ESPN 20 plus years ago so I have no idea what you're referring to. But, is she really saying that women "deserve" to be raped for how they dress or was she making the point that certain behaviors (including dress) can put you at greater risk? And to be clear, I don't care if a woman walks through town naked, rape and other sexual assaults are solely the fault of the predator, not the woman even if she might have made a questionable decision.
No, she didn't say that.

Here is what she said.
“I do think that as women we have to be responsible as well. It isn’t just on players and coaches to act a certain way,” Steele shared, sticking to her point.

She then went on to state that women are inviting attention via their style of dress, essentially saying they deserve what happens.

“When you dress like that, I’m not saying you deserve the gross comments, but you know what you’re doing when you put that outfit on too,” Steele said. “We know what we’re doing when we put certain things on.”

urs

All Star
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm fine with what she said there.
Agreed. It wasn't even about rape it was about how athletes were treating some female reporters in the locker room. Nuance is gone though I guess so people put no thought into stuff and just go to an extreme.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I heard on NPR that ESPN is looking to do a deal with Amazon to take them over from Disney, at least on the production end of things. Disney is saying ESPN is too expensive for them to produce. Still in negotiating phase of things.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
It's like the MTV effect...when you change your identity so much (MTV with music and ESPN with core sports) you're bound to have serious declines, because you end up offering to many options and they are all watered down.
I don't mind them showing full games from college, pros, etc. However, I want them to have a channel just dedicated to sports news like the good old days with Sports Center 24X7. That's what they are good at. They want to monopolize sports and become the Gott place to watch sports. I think that's a goal too lofty and too big for them to pull off.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't mind them showing full games from college, pros, etc. However, I want them to have a channel just dedicated to sports news like the good old days with Sports Center 24X7. That's what they are good at. They want to monopolize sports and become the Gott place to watch sports. I think that's a goal too lofty and too big for them to pull off.
The writing has been on the wall for more than a decade, viewers have moved and are moving away from cable. ESPN has made changes to try and stem the tide but they haven't had enough success, hence the major layoffs. Live sports was supposed to protect them from viewership decline and it's helped but not enough. If they were to go back to the days of being primarily a sports news network, I think they'd soon be out of business.

There is something going on right now though that might save them and the industry. It seems like more and more of the streaming sources are doing everything they can (unintenionally) to drive viewers back to cable with the steady escalation of prices and sneaking ads into as much as they can.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The writing has been on the wall for more than a decade, viewers have moved and are moving away from cable. ESPN has made changes to try and stem the tide but they haven't had enough success, hence the major layoffs. Live sports was supposed to protect them from viewership decline and it's helped but not enough. If they were to go back to the days of being primarily a sports news network, I think they'd soon be out of business.

There is something going on right now though that might save them and the industry. It seems like more and more of the streaming sources are doing everything they can (unintenionally) to drive viewers back to cable with the steady escalation of prices and sneaking ads into as much as they can.
IDK about other viewers, but when I look at the listings for their shows on my STREAMING service, I will see some college game I am NOT interested in, maybe corn hole championships on the next channel, and just whatever junk on the third channel. I will see sports center won't be on until way later in the day OR Night, and I just blow off watching their whole channel that day. You multiply it by hundreds or thousands of viewers like me, and that's bad! Everyone that is in the younger demographic loves the NFL's Redzone Channel! It's just ESPN Sports Channel in a nutshell. I know young guys I have worked with recently that get that instead of the NFL Sunday Ticket. They love that channel.

OP
OP
R

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
IDK about other viewers, but when I look at the listings for their shows on my STREAMING service, I will see some college game I am NOT interested in, maybe corn hole championships on the next channel, and just whatever junk on the third channel. I will see sports center won't be on until way later in the day OR Night, and I just blow off watching their whole channel that day. You multiply it by hundreds or thousands of viewers like me, and that's bad! Everyone that is in the younger demographic loves the NFL's Redzone Channel! It's just ESPN Sports Channel in a nutshell. I know young guys I have worked with recently that get that instead of the NFL Sunday Ticket. They love that channel.
The only way I get to watch some games I like...like the Coyotes...is through ESPN+...and I get that bundled with my Hulu account. I wouldn't pay for it separately, through.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The only way I get to watch some games I like...like the Coyotes...is through ESPN+...and I get that bundled with my Hulu account. I wouldn't pay for it separately, through.
Let's be honest, how many people aside from us, on a national scale are tuning into Coyotes Hockey? LOL. You said it yourself, you would not pay for it if it wasn't free. Plus I am going off the original post that said MTV killed itself trying to do too much. Those of us that like music videos just fed to us with stories about those songs/videos so we could veg out and relax, have to search and do our own thing on sites like Youtube now. I literally HATE MTV now. I don't know how they make it because no one I know at all watches it. I have worked with lots of young people that should be their demographic, and literally none of them watch it.

OP
OP
R

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
Let's be honest, how many people aside from us, on a national scale are tuning into Coyotes Hockey? LOL. You said it yourself, you would not pay for it if it wasn't free. Plus I am going off the original post that said MTV killed itself trying to do too much. Those of us that like music videos just fed to us with stories about those songs/videos so we could veg out and relax, have to search and do our own thing on sites like Youtube now. I literally HATE MTV now. I don't know how they make it because no one I know at all watches it. I have worked with lots of young people that should be their demographic, and literally none of them watch it.
I said I wouldn't pay for it....but that is the only way I get to see them. If it went away, then it goes away...no big deal, really.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I said I wouldn't pay for it....but that is the only way I get to see them. If it went away, then it goes away...no big deal, really.
Not arguing with you, just pointing out, if you wouldn't pay for it, many others are thinking the same thing. You may be right that no one just wants sports news period. Just saying the Redzone Channel seems to have caught lightening in a barrel, and it's just sports highlights, period. I think being basically a Tin Tok of sports format makes it popular.

OP
OP
R

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
Not arguing with you, just pointing out, if you wouldn't pay for it, many others are thinking the same thing. You may be right that no one just wants sports news period. Just saying the Redzone Channel seems to have caught lightening in a barrel, and it's just sports highlights, period. I think being basically a Tin Tok of sports format makes it popular.
Oh, sorry...I don't disagree with you on sports news...I think people do want that. What they don't want is seeing what the movie Dodgeball parodied coming to real life. If they just stick with the core large sports, they could easily rebound. Let small regional networks mess with cornhole and crap like that.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love the Redzone Channel but that's because it's a timely presentation of what's happening in the NFL. It wouldn't do very well if it was shown two hours behind or during the week. And the NFL is a unique product. I doubt all the networks (including ESPN) that have tried something similar with other sports have had anywhere near that success.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, sorry...I don't disagree with you on sports news...I think people do want that. What they don't want is seeing what the movie Dodgeball parodied coming to real life. If they just stick with the core large sports, they could easily rebound. Let small regional networks mess with cornhole and crap like that.
I was a lot happier when ESPN put most of their attention into sports news. But that wouldn't work today. Or, maybe it would work, but only for a much smaller network. If ESPN was willing to trim down to the ESPN of the 80's, it might be able to make a profit just focusing on sports news. But they'd be a niche network instead of the major player they've been for decades now.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison