Andy Isabella is being used wrong

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So many people are under the delusion that he could be our Julian Edelman simply because Isabella is white. In actuality, Isabella's comp is a poor man's Tavon Austin, and Austin is very limited as a luxury 'X' factor on a offense. If Isabella would have been a fifth round pick, I do not think people here would give him much thought. If he did not look so out of place in relation to other players, he would also not have that Rudy effect which makes fans long for a feel good story. I think we are wasting KeeSean when we play Isabella over him, because KeeSean at least has some traits to be of use. Training a guy at the highest level to learn to catch the ball with his hands is ludicrous when a team is attempting to mold their franchise QB
I remember some on this board wishing KJ never sees the field again after dropping that pass against the Lions lol. I agree with you on catching the ball with his hands but if he's wide open & that's the only way he can catch it (his body) why would it even matter as long as he catches it? I know, catching it with his body will come into play when covered tightly but speed like his is being wasted if he isn't being used at all. I feel like there has to be some type of play design for him that can be used? If it's only 2 or 3 targets a game. He's done as much as KJ to this point, more actually numbers wise. I'm not saying you're wrong no matter what I typed but it's frustrating having a player that fast & not using him for anything at all..

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hate how he writes about football and takes an authoritative stance on what amounts to fabrications to romanticize a topic. As one person once stated, he's a great writer but very bad at football commentary. Oh, he understands football but uses his vast knowledge in a wacked out way and if you challenge anything he says, he goes off like a three year old kid playing the role of a parent. I am for the most part a koolaid fan but I am also a Cardinal fan for decades and his approach to how to fix things is even too much for me to sit back and accept. Seriously, he just stated that Isabella is a number two WR and proceeds to take his wise grandfather approach to shovel this and now with the platform he has, he affects the perception of other fan bases towards this franchise
I think is overrated the changing perception of the fan base, someone likes his narrative but I doubt they takes everything seriously, reading him is like reading something different then what we usually read

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
speed, at least his 40 time, is why he was drafted. I have yet to see one redeemable quality as a NFL football player that he has displayed on the field. He's not being misused, he's just not very good at football, at least at the NFL level. Edelman and Beasley run great routes and have great hands.
I said earlier, the guy Isabella reminds me of is Kevin Kasper(a fast white guy with no receiving ability) but at least Kasper could return a kick every now and then.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
He struggles attacking the deep balls thrown his way or has trouble locating them for whatever reason? He didn't have trouble with them at Umass so why now? I don't get it really? Shorter passes he should be just fine with. There just has to be a way to get him involved with that type of speed. I don't think KJ would draw enough attention as a decoy for Hopkins like Isabella will. If KK was the master play caller thought to be by some, he could get him involved? There has to something else going on in practice that we're not seeing as to why? I wish KK would just come out & say why he's not playing but that's not how he does things.
At UMASS he wasn't playing with elite athletes and was probably the best athlete on the field many times which gave him confidence. He brings nothing to the table as a NFL receiver.

I compare it, obviously at a much lower level, of back when I was a youngster playing basketball. I'd go play with a group of so-so players and be the about the best on the court. Then I go play with guys who could play and I was the worst player on the court. Isabella is me playing with good basketball players, lol.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Edelman was nothing until his 5th year in the league. He was trash. Year 2 Edelman played in 15 games and had 7 receptions for 84 yards. Year 3 he played in 13 games and only had 4 receptions for 34 yards.

Isabella has basically the same stats as Edelman after almost 2 years. Of course expectations for Edelman were a lot lower since he was drafted in round 7.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Yes I agree he is being misused. He should be checking players IDs as they enter the facility on hardy. But seriously he is not a good route runner like Beasley or Edelman. He might have good enough hands but those guys are tough. They are willing to risk their body to make a play, don't see that for the future security guard.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
AI the #2 WR? Ah, Mitch, bringing another of his "hot takes." Like how we should trade garbage for superstars, or how all the undrafted FAs were going to become superstars for us. Don't get me wrong--he's a good writer that did have some interesting insight. Problem was, he thought his truly silly and pie-in-the-sky takes should ALSO be taken just as seriously, and got super pissy when they weren't.

Sorry, but AI doesn't have it.

Bkbobo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I remembered the draft and how excited Kliff was picking Andy. I would like to know what Kliff was envisioning when he made that selection. I believe it is a little of both. Andy needs to work on routes and tracking balls better, and Kliff needs to put him in position to be successful. Also I believe there is a disconnect between Kyler and Andy. Andy is a reserve guy and wondering if his personality is not meshing well with Kyler and the other receivers.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I remembered the draft and how excited Kliff was picking Andy. I would like to know what Kliff was envisioning when he made that selection. I believe it is a little of both. Andy needs to work on routes and tracking balls better, and Kliff needs to put him in position to be successful. Also I believe there is a disconnect between Kyler and Andy. Andy is a reserve guy and wondering if his personality is not meshing well with Kyler and the other receivers.
Andy Isabella was the type of athlete Kliff would dream about having at Texas Tech. Air Raid guys love small speedsters because at the college level if you can find someone fast enough the other team won't have a CB capable of covering him. It's also because bigger schools tend to recruit all the big bodied WRs while the smaller schools have to make due with the small fast guys. If you watch the Kliff/Mahomes go against LSU in the Texas bowl, Mahomes main target was a 5'6 WR who was constantly burning one of the best secondaries in college football. For schools who don't get blue chip recruits there's a saying. You can teach anyone how to catch a football, you can't teach speed. Obviously in the NFL draft a coach can afford to dream bigger, but I put that on Kiem.

Isabella could utilize his speed and wouldn't have worry about fighting the ball away from these huge DBs if Kyler actually hit him in stride on deep shots. Right now Isabella usually has to slow down to get the ball and the safety will knock it away.

I think you're right about Isabella's personality not meshing with Kyler. In interviews where they talk about each other it seems like they don't get along.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Mitch has always had this affection for Massachusetts colleges football programs and always found a player from one of them he liked and fawned over each season. Nothing wrong with that as we all tend to do that with the colleges near us as we watch them a lot if you follow college football. The problem is Mitch doesn't always see the shortcomings or deficiencies of said player or recognize the level of competition they play against.

I personally think Jahan Dotson WR at Penn State is going to be a good WR in the NFL. Of course I follow PSU and watch all their games so I have a bias.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I agree he is being used wrong. They keep putting him on the field.

Big difference between Isabella and the others lists is those players can catch with their hands, and get moving upfield in a hurry.

Isabella has to take the time for the ball to come into his body, and he dances to try to get open instead of just going up the field.

BUST.

It happens. It sucks we picked him over a bunch of other receivers but it is not exactly Levi Brown over Adrian Peterson bad.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
At UMASS he wasn't playing with elite athletes and was probably the best athlete on the field many times which gave him confidence. He brings nothing to the table as a NFL receiver.

I compare it, obviously at a much lower level, of back when I was a youngster playing basketball. I'd go play with a group of so-so players and be the about the best on the court. Then I go play with guys who could play and I was the worst player on the court. Isabella is me playing with good basketball players, lol.
UMASS is division I when Andy was there. They played good talent. He may have been the best athlete on his team but he faced many good CB. They played 3 SEC schools between his junior and senior year. He had 15 receptions for 219 yards against 5th ranked Georgia his senior year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Oboy....Walter is the local whipping' boy around these parts. His pieces get huge responses. He's articulate and isn't afraid to swim in the deep end.
That type of insight and conjecture isn't for these folks.

Sigh.

OF COURSE that was what the issue was here at ASFN.

We could not take the insights and conjecture, and had nothing to do with the fact if you question ANYTHING he wrote he threw a tantrum, attacked you personally, and took his ball and went home. Oh and heave forbid you didn't kiss his ass for "all he would do for ASFN, and all he brought to it" (tho no one ever asked him to do any of it) Whipping boy my butt, he was constantly complemented by the people on this board, ALL THE TIME! That is not a whipping boy that is a man looking for a cross to hang off of.

Last I check he left. We did not ask the man to leave, he took his ball and went home.

Personally, the last time I interacted with the man, he acted like a grade A jackass. Never gave him reason to act that way but I had dared question him and his opinion. A peasant like myself questioning his highness was out of line I guess.

Happy he has found a good spot at RoB where people can kiss his ass, and he is in complete control of the world he is in. Cause that is the only place he can function.

And last but not least, Isabella is a bust. The reason he defends him is because Isabella is one of his players he liked in the draft, and the Cardinals just do not listen to Walter enough, if they would just hire him he would fix it all up.

LOL

.....for these folks my ass.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Edelman was nothing until his 5th year in the league. He was trash. Year 2 Edelman played in 15 games and had 7 receptions for 84 yards. Year 3 he played in 13 games and only had 4 receptions for 34 yards.

Isabella has basically the same stats as Edelman after almost 2 years. Of course expectations for Edelman were a lot lower since he was drafted in round 7.
And he was converting from playing QB.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
UMASS is division I when Andy was there. They played good talent. He may have been the best athlete on his team but he faced many good CB. They played 3 SEC schools between his junior and senior year. He had 15 receptions for 219 yards against 5th ranked Georgia his senior year.

You don’t get what he’s saying. Even playing at high level SEC there’s a step up going to the NFL. Some players make it, others don’t.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
You don’t get what he’s saying. Even playing at high level SEC there’s a step up going to the NFL. Some players make it, others don’t.
His top paragraph said playing at Umass a smaller school meant he was the best athlete on the field which gave him confidence. He was not the best athlete on the field most games. That’s my point

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
More nonsense from Mitch that focuses on what Mitch thinks Isabella should be in his mind and ignore everything Isabella has shown us in reality.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bah, I had my fill of English teachers in high school. Haven't been to RoB in years.

@carrrnuttt is didactic enough, only need one poster on the board for that.... lol.. Sorry, carrnuttt, I cracked myself up

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave