Andy Isabella is being used wrong

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
https://www.revengeofthebirds.com/2020/12/18/22188502/cardinals-misfiring-on-isabella

I have my doubts about the guy but the guy writing this article has way more insight than me. I've questioned his ability yet at the same time wondered out loud if we're using him right? KJ is playing better right now & took his spot in the rotation but he's so slow. Runs a 4.6 fourty I believe? Interesting read though. I'll look forward to everyone's opinions.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Good read.

However, I said that drafting a short WR after drafting a short QB could cause these problems though. I think Kyler is late to him because he simply doesnt trust him or Kyler doesnt trust himself to throw it to him right on the #s.

Andy with a vet QB is probably a solid WR in the NFL now.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Oboy....Walter is the local whipping' boy around these parts. His pieces get huge responses. He's articulate and isn't afraid to swim in the deep end.
That type of insight and conjecture isn't for these folks.
Mitch is awesome. He is also the ultimate underdog lover. He is right we need to use Andy’s speed to open the rest of the Offense. But not #2

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Isabella's problem is that his only positive trait is speed.

That isnt a good match with a head coach who has no idea what he is doing and a young qb learning.

Isabella can't

1. Track the ball
2. Attack the ball in the air

Really puts the qb and play caller in a tough spot. To make anything for Izzy you have to make it easy for him.

Kliff is JUST starting to move Hopkins around so Isabella is a bit down the totem pole.

If Isabella was any good he would have tracked that deep ball against Seattle game one in the first quarter and caught that pass on the goal line.

You can be just a "speed guy" in the NFL and be successful but you have to have a very good scheme in place.

Last edited:

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Isabella cannot catch with his hands, the dude cannot hence catch on the professional level. If that 'guy' writing the article knew what the hell he's talking about we would have won three Super Bowls already with all the countless undrafted guys he has pegged as superstars... enough of this nonsense!

Reaction score
He is not a deep threat type
He needs to be used like cole beasly/wes welker/julian Edelman
I think he should be inactive the rest of the year, and start working on getting stronger, and learning how to run better short routes, and catching the ball.

what do you think?

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
He is not a deep threat type
He needs to be used like cole beasly/wes welker/julian Edelman
I think he should be inactive the rest of the year, and start working on getting stronger, and learning how to run better short routes, and catching the ball.

what do you think?
Well, if he does not even have deep threat ability... what's he doing here because he obviously cannot perform the other requirements and don't tell me you know more than what a whole Cardinals staff has seen to not start KeeSean over him

Reaction score
He has plenty of readers
I did not read it the article..
Ive been thinking about it a while
Was edelman or welker or beasly ever used as a deep threat..no
He needs to get stronger physically and mentally..
Watching the way the bills use beasly is what Isabella could morph into if he is used the right, and becomes better prepared..

Reaction score
Well, if he does not even have deep threat ability... what's he doing here because he obviously cannot perform the other requirements and don't tell me you know more than what a whole Cardinals staff has seen to not start KeeSean over him
He was drafted high but it was a mirage.
He was the deep threat at umass, and could get away with it..he also had a good game vs UGA at umass..
But long term he is not a deep threat guy.

Reaction score
He was drafted high but it was a mirage.
He was the deep threat at umass, and could get away with it..he also had a good game vs UGA at umass..
But long term he is not a deep threat guy.
I just looked up his game against UGA it wasnt good, it was great 15 for 219
If they are smart, they will develop him into the short routes, then RAC yards.
But he has to be groomed that way, catch everything, run good routes, and be smart (know where the first down markers are)
Be s professional.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Simply putting him in a game is misusing him. He belongs on the practice squad.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Which further goes to prove that this world is inhabited by morons, and so happy to exchange my thoughts with guys here who may be morons like myself but of a lesser extent than Revenge of the Birds lol
U are a cool dude, why this hate towards Mitch?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I did not read it the article..
Ive been thinking about it a while
Was edelman or welker or beasly ever used as a deep threat..no
He needs to get stronger physically and mentally..
Watching the way the bills use beasly is what Isabella could morph into if he is used the right, and becomes better prepared..
Those guys didn’t have isabella’s speed. What they did have was good hands. Which Isabella doesn’t have. The only comparison is they’re all white.

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Good read.

However, I said that drafting a short WR after drafting a short QB could cause these problems though. I think Kyler is late to him because he simply doesnt trust him or Kyler doesnt trust himself to throw it to him right on the #s.

Andy with a vet QB is probably a solid WR in the NFL now.
I always hate it when we let guys go & they succeed with another team. You may be right, a taller veteran QB may work better for him? He doesn't attack the ball on deep throws as one poster mentioned. However, I feel like he could be used better with his speed on designed plays or on crossing routes to clear out for others. He sometimes drags his defender in the way of another route also. If we're playing for the sticks as KK often does, why not design some short stuff for him to gain some confidence? It's just frustrating trying to figure him out? Is he being used right? Is there other plays we can get him involved in. I mean I see the writers point but I really don't think he should be a #2 WR. #4 at best right now. KJ is so slow but speed may be the only real thing AI has to offer? Time will tell. Isabella has 3 games left in the regular season to either prove it in practice or step up in the games. If something doesn't change before the 2021 season begins he will be gone imo. Larry will probably retire & Kirk is too inconsistent so where does that leave us on WR's #2-4? We have to find another CB to replace PP21 & really need better OG play. I'd hate to think we have to use the draft to find 3 WR's once again. Larry may come back if we make the playoffs but they're using him more like a TE now & we have Dan Arnold & Williams already.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I always hate it when we let guys go & they succeed with another team. You may be right, a taller veteran QB may work better for him? He doesn't attack the ball on deep throws as one poster mentioned. However, I feel like he could be used better with his speed on designed plays or on crossing routes to clear out for others. He sometimes drags his defender in the way of another route also. If we're playing for the sticks as KK often does, why not design some short stuff for him to gain some confidence? It's just frustrating trying to figure him out? Is he being used right? Is there other plays we can get him involved in. I mean I see the writers point but I really don't think he should be a #2 WR. #4 at best right now. KJ is so slow but speed may be the only real thing AI has to offer? Time will tell. Isabella has 3 games left in the regular season to either prove it in practice or step up in the games. If something doesn't change before the 2021 season begins he will be gone imo. Larry will probably retire & Kirk is too inconsistent so where does that leave us on WR's #2-4? We have to find another CB to replace PP21 & really need better OG play. I'd hate to think we have to use the draft to find 3 WR's once again. Larry may come back if we make the playoffs but they're using him more like a TE now & we have Dan Arnold & Williams already.
I thought we blew a golden opportunity to give him some run last year to develop some confidence.

Byrd got those snaps when it was clear he wasnt coming back. I'll also say Andy/Kyler were on the brink of developing a rhythm but it just went sideways. I still wonder if Kyler hits him when he's open vs. the Lions (to win) and then Andy catches that deep ball vs. the Panthers where they'd be right now.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I have nothing against Mitch. He pours his heart into his articles. Unfortunately it also leads to him being a bit thin-skinned. That said, I couldn’t disagree with this article more. Body catchers don’t last long in the nfl. He may only have two drops but I can remember three passes without even thinking that we’re probably ruled “pass defensed” because the ball bounce off him as he was hit. Because he body caught it. If he plucked it he likely makes three receptions. His speed is meaningless if he can’t effectively track and catch the ball. Neither he nor keesean are reliable nfl regulars in my estimation.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
So many people are under the delusion that he could be our Julian Edelman simply because Isabella is white. In actuality, Isabella's comp is a poor man's Tavon Austin, and Austin is very limited as a luxury 'X' factor on a offense. If Isabella would have been a fifth round pick, I do not think people here would give him much thought. If he did not look so out of place in relation to other players, he would also not have that Rudy effect which makes fans long for a feel good story. I think we are wasting KeeSean when we play Isabella over him, because KeeSean at least has some traits to be of use. Training a guy at the highest level to learn to catch the ball with his hands is ludicrous when a team is attempting to mold their franchise QB

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
U are a cool dude, why this hate towards Mitch?
I hate how he writes about football and takes an authoritative stance on what amounts to fabrications to romanticize a topic. As one person once stated, he's a great writer but very bad at football commentary. Oh, he understands football but uses his vast knowledge in a wacked out way and if you challenge anything he says, he goes off like a three year old kid playing the role of a parent. I am for the most part a koolaid fan but I am also a Cardinal fan for decades and his approach to how to fix things is even too much for me to sit back and accept. Seriously, he just stated that Isabella is a number two WR and proceeds to take his wise grandfather approach to shovel this and now with the platform he has, he affects the perception of other fan bases towards this franchise

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I thought we blew a golden opportunity to give him some run last year to develop some confidence.

Byrd got those snaps when it was clear he wasnt coming back. I'll also say Andy/Kyler were on the brink of developing a rhythm but it just went sideways. I still wonder if Kyler hits him when he's open vs. the Lions (to win) and then Andy catches that deep ball vs. the Panthers where they'd be right now.
He struggles attacking the deep balls thrown his way or has trouble locating them for whatever reason? He didn't have trouble with them at Umass so why now? I don't get it really? Shorter passes he should be just fine with. There just has to be a way to get him involved with that type of speed. I don't think KJ would draw enough attention as a decoy for Hopkins like Isabella will. If KK was the master play caller thought to be by some, he could get him involved? There has to something else going on in practice that we're not seeing as to why? I wish KK would just come out & say why he's not playing but that's not how he does things.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson