Andre Smith released

OP
OP
Buckybird

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Wow.

How many free agent signings from this last offseason are now gone ?

- Sam Bradford
- Andre Smith
- Jamar Taylor
- Bene Benwikere <-- This is a guy that has played in Wilks' defense before. WTF ?

And let's be honest, Justin Pugh is not anything to write home about, and Mike Glennon is currently being pushed by Chad Kanoff.

At least we have all seen the last of Phil Dawson.

At this point the only fun in being a fan is to be spiteful, good thing we made sure to sign linebackers to play in this 4-3 defense right ?

What an absolute joke.

I can confidently say, I could have put together a better team then Keim Miller Time.
Yep!

People can say Keim had a good 2018 draft all they want but he negated it with his worst offseason during his tenure! Michael has to be pissed at all the $$$ Keim threw away this past offseason. It might just damn well get him fired.

It may be the worst Cardinals offseason in their history & that’s saying a lot. Ugh

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
When BA was here, he refused to make obvious moves like these.

Obvious moves like what? Honestly.

This isn't churning the bottom of the roster to try and unearth hidden gems. We just released two of our three Week 1 cornerbacks! What's the plan to replace them?

Very strange roster management late in the season.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

it feels like sacrificial moves to show the fanbase they care

as bad an Andre Smith was and as much as he needed to be replaced, if DJ or Cunningham go down during a game -- I suspect Andre is better than a practice squad guy they likely sign tomorrow.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
I understand the release of Andre Smith but I'm puzzled about Benwikere. He showed enough that he was worthy of being on the team. Who are they going to replace him with? It's been quite a while since I've seen things this bad with this team. I think this coaching staff is toast.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
C'mon, we have seen some bad OL for awhile - so far, I have not once heard people calling for Cole's head on a gameday thread. The guy is incredibly solid - not a lot of push, but just a smart, solid player for a rookie. If Toner, Boehm, Watford, or any of those others drafted played as solid as Cole, we would at least of one of the G positions covered as well in the future.

And Cunningham has been solid through two games.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Obvious moves like what? Honestly.

This isn't churning the bottom of the roster to try and unearth hidden gems. We just released two of our three Week 1 cornerbacks! What's the plan to replace them?

re BA: Moving on from players (and coaches) that don't perform.

Amos is a coaching example.

There are several player examples (easy to search on this board).

BA was a very loyal guy...positive and negative.

I like Bene and believe he still had value on ST but I also like cutting players that aren't performing and don't have a future (like Dawson, Taylor, and Smith).

We are a 2-9 team with players that are getting burned game after game. Some you can't cut for obvious reasons but some you can...and we did.

Who did they cut that can't be replaced?

Your original question was more profound...who is driving these moves. My point was BA refused to do it (even cost us games because of it).

Reaction score
There's probably more to the Bene B release than we know. I don't think it was directly based on his play. Unless he was freelancing & they used him as an example.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Former Arizona State kicker Zane Gonzalez may deserve the spot but it feels like a PR move as well.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It's hard to understand who's running the show and driving these moves.
It comes across as a sign of dysfunction. It insinuates that players are being let go to force the coaching staff to play other players. Where it doesn't make sense is why Dawson has been on the roster off and on. If the GM really just wanted a young Km you think Dawson would not have been brought back.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know what's really scary? This team literally has ZERO offensive linemen they can count on next season. Iupati? Nope. Pugh? Oft-injured and sucks, so nope! There's literally no one at RT. And Humphries is hurt AGAIN with his OTHER KNEE this year. They can't even sign that guy to an extension because they literally can't depend on him ever being healthy throughout a season. Have we even heard WHAT Humphries injury is?

Sorry... Keim HAS to go. No one knows at this point who was really more responsible for the three good years we had with Arians, but what we DO know is Keim was solely responsible for this train wreck of a year. You don't get another shot after putting together the WORST Cardinals team in AZ history. You just don't.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's probably more to the Bene B release than we know. I don't think it was directly based on his play. Unless he was freelancing & they used him as an example.

I think that is more the issue. On the Chargers first TD, he was way out of position, and looked to be playing a different coverage than the rest of the team.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
You know what's really scary? This team literally has ZERO offensive linemen they can count on next season. Iupati? Nope. Pugh? Oft-injured and sucks, so nope! There's literally no one at RT. And Humphries is hurt AGAIN with his OTHER KNEE this year. They can't even sign that guy to an extension because they literally can't depend on him ever being healthy throughout a season. Have we even heard WHAT Humphries injury is?

Sorry... Keim HAS to go. No one knows at this point who was really more responsible for the three good years we had with Arians, but what we DO know is Keim was solely responsible for this train wreck of a year. You don't get another shot after putting together the WORST Cardinals team in AZ history. You just don't.
The areas for me that really drive me to wanting Keim gone are

1-1st round draft pick track record. Consistently bad decisions.

2-Inability to fix the offensive line while using significant resources to do so. Lots of money and draft picks with little to show for it.

3-Decisions on which FAs to keep and let go. For a team that is talent starved, we have let a bunch of good players move on.

4-Roster inconsistency. I believe that continuity goes a long way on teams, especially in terms of starters. Our constant shuffling of players in and out of our secondaries and offensive lines over the years has driven me crazy.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
One bad year does not mean a GM should be let go. That's too high a standard to demand in a competitive arena like this.
Of more concern is the poor general production from the first and second round draft picks during his tenure.

Here ya go:

Jonathan Cooper
Kevin Minter
Deone Bucannon
Troy Nicklas
DJ Humphries
Markus Golden
Robert Nkdemiche
( ) traded with Cooper for Chandler Jones
Haason Reddick
Budda Baker
Josh Rosen
Christian Kirk

So....... bust, bust, misused, bust, average, good, finally showing up, smelling like a bust, too soon, too soon, too soon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One bad year does not mean a GM should be let go. That's too high a standard to demand in a competitive arena like this.
Of more concern is the poor general production from the first and second round draft picks during his tenure.

Here ya go:

Jonathan Cooper
Kevin Minter
Deone Bucannon
Troy Nicklas
DJ Humphries
Markus Golden
Robert Nkdemiche
Haason Reddick
Budda Baker
Josh Rosen
Christian Kirk

So....... bust, bust, misused, bust, average, good, finally showing up, smelling like a bust, too soon, too soon, too soon

Mostly accurate - we got Chandler Jones in part out of the Cooper pick.

Baker, Rosen and Kirk all LOOK to be good picks - certainly ones that many/most GM's in the Cards position would have taken.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Smith has been a disaster at RT in the passing game. He was going to get Rosen killed.
You have no argument here - just that the timing of the move is a bit strange - i.e.,a veteran RT (a position of need) must suck big time to get himself cut during the meat of the season). To demote Andre would be one thing/but cutting him is pretty radical, no?

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
When you think about it, who would want to come to AZ as either a GM or a HC? Looking at the roster kind of makes you want to puke. Outside of a few good players there is nothing left that even resembles a decent NFL roster. Once you get past DJ, PP, Baker, Jones and Peters, you have no proven players on this roster. Fitz and Bethea are so long of tooth that they may be close to running on empty. Humphries, Nkemdiche, are out nursing injuries almost as often as they are playing. Rosen, Kirk, and Cole are rookies who have shown potential. Golden seems to be recovering from his injury as has been decent. Reddick is an enigma. Gunter has been decent. The rest are just guys in uniforms. The core here is so small it's pathetic. PP may demand to be traded after the season ends. It certainly is not beyond the realm of possibility. If both Keim and Wilks are told to take a long ride down route 66, MB may have no choice but to bring in an untested GM and HC who want a chance to prove themselves since no experienced GM or coach would want to inherit this mess.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Here ya go:

Jonathan Cooper
Kevin Minter
Deone Bucannon
Troy Nicklas
DJ Humphries
Markus Golden
Robert Nkdemiche
Haason Reddick
Budda Baker
Josh Rosen
Christian Kirk

does Golden really get "good" for one good season? He's done jack squat this season after doing next to nothing last year before he got hurt in four games. His 12.5 sack season is looking more and more like a fluke at this point.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Cool Stat right?
So you know we are assured of a losing season already this year, right? So that’s two losing seasons. In a row. The last two years. 13 wins - 8 wins - 7 wins - 2 wins (likely). See a trend?

Also, his signings of Bradford and smith at STARTERS and both already CUT, without being injured. Yeah, some stellar work.

Keim sucks now.