Anderson to start Saturday!

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
It's only specualtion on my part, but maybe some key veterans on the offense let it be known that they think their best chance to win is with DA at quarterback. I've heard many times from ex-players being interviewed that they know who the best QB is very quickly in camp. We don't know all the behind the scenes stuff but maybe that's what has happened. I haven't heard any players come out in Leinart's defense yet. I also got the feeling last week from listening to the Underground podcast that Wolfley didn't seem too enamored with ML. Veterans letting Whiz know how they feel could be a reason for the sudden change that none of us saw coming.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It's only specualtion on my part, but maybe some key veterans on the offense let it be known that they think their best chance to win is with DA at quarterback. I've heard many times from ex-players being interviewed that they know who the best QB is very quickly in camp. We don't know all the behind the scenes stuff but maybe that's what has happened. I haven't heard any players come out in Leinart's defense yet. I also got the feeling last week from listening to the Underground podcast that Wolfley didn't seem too enamored with ML. Veterans letting Whiz know how they feel could be a reason for the sudden change that none of us saw coming.

Given how the first team has performed in preseason, I'd speculate that if anyone other than Fitz offered an opinion on the subject, Whiz or Grimm would tell them to do their job, and leave the big decisions to them... Thank you, very much.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

That would be Fitzgerald and ???

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Sendein. Wells. A-Dub. 9-0. I would not rule this out at all...

Well, if A-Dub and 9-0 express their views on who should be the QB, it will be unsolicited. And what would Sendlein have to offer... "I prefer DA's hand on my butt". :D

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Well, if A-Dub and 9-0 express their views on who should be the QB, it will be unsolicited. And what would Sendlein have to offer... "I prefer DA's hand on my butt". :D

It's been said Sendlein prefers sronger, more assertive hands.... don't hate!

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Lienart isn't the answer we are pretty much screwed. DA isn't the answer. Why waste a season with DA at QB. I'd rather see the Cards pull a Warner and start the rookie Max Hall. The kid moves around the pocket really well, has a nice quick release and is mature for a rookie.

My biggest issue with Lienart is his weak arm and big windup to throw. That doesn't translate well to a tight pocket that colapses quickly.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Sendein. Wells. A-Dub. 9-0. I would not rule this out at all...

key veterans on the offense let it be known

When did Adub and 9-0 move to offense? :D

I don't see any of the offensive linemen with the way they have played having anything to say about any other position. The only guy I think on the offense besides Fitz that would fit the mold would be Lutui and not only has he been in the coaches doghouse, he is Matt's guy. Reggie Wells just doesn't seem to be the kind of guy who would "let it be known" but it is possible.

Faneca maybe because of his relationship with Grimm and CKW but he just got here.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
If Lienart isn't the answer we are pretty much screwed. DA isn't the answer. Why waste a season with DA at QB. I'd rather see the Cards pull a Warner and start the rookie Max Hall. The kid moves around the pocket really well, has a nice quick release and is mature for a rookie.

My biggest issue with Lienart is his weak arm and big windup to throw. That doesn't translate well to a tight pocket that colapses quickly.

Good point. From watching the Cards replay and some other teams games on NFL Network one thing I noticed was that the Cards QBs were taking longer to throw the football.

I watched some of the Saints and was reminded of Warner and last years offense where the ball would be out and to a receiver very quickly.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
When did Adub and 9-0 move to offense? :D

I don't see any of the offensive linemen with the way they have played having anything to say about any other position. The only guy I think on the offense besides Fitz that would fit the mold would be Lutui and not only has he been in the coaches doghouse, he is Matt's guy. Reggie Wells just doesn't seem to be the kind of guy who would "let it be known" but it is possible.

Faneca maybe because of his relationship with Grimm and CKW but he just got here.

Duck, are you kidding?

OP
OP
O

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Why is there the assumption that this is a sudden move? Just because we the fans just heard about the move doesn't mean it hasn't been thought about and planned by the coaches for a while.
I get the impression that Whiz and staff don't do things that aren't planned and well thought out, ala Denny Green.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Why is there the assumption that this is a sudden move? Just because we the fans just heard about the move doesn't mean it hasn't been thought about and planned by the coaches for a while.
I get the impression that Whiz and staff don't do things that aren't planned and well thought out, ala Denny Green.

Agree O. I believe Whiz (and others) have had concerns about Matty all along. I believe they came into this season hoping that the kid wouldn't do what he apparently did - coasted on the belief that the job was his. I belileve that Whiz (and others) had already discussed this potential and had plans A, B and C in mind should Matty do what he did... coast.
The way things shook out in the offseason, we ended with up DA. We'll never know who really was the top priority for the Cards (McNabb, Whitehurst, Bulger...), but in the end we got what we got.
I so love the fact that Whiz clearly had this mapped out and is not afraid to make this type of move - which is warranted IMHO.
I also believe that Whiz did receive (perhaps solicited, perhaps not) commentary from players. Can't confirm it of course, but it wouldn't shock me at all if players like DD and A-Dub, perhaps Fitz and others, made their feelings know about Matty as a leader.

Who knows - DA might go out there tonight and toss up 3 INT's and no first downs. If that transpires, things are really, REALLY going to get interesting... However, my hunch is that DA will do what he's done thus far, play well enough to stay in the running, and then will win out because he is tougher and a better leader than Matty...

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

The assumption is largely based on what Whiz had to say about Leinart's development, and that it was not simply Leinart being out of sync in the preseason.

OP
OP
O

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The assumption is largely based on what Whiz had to say about Leinart's development, and that it was not simply Leinart being out of sync in the preseason.

What is said publically and what is planned behind closed doors are very often two entirely different things. :)

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I also believe that Whiz did receive (perhaps solicited, perhaps not) commentary from players. Can't confirm it of course, but it wouldn't shock me at all if players like DD and A-Dub, perhaps Fitz and others, made their feelings know about Matty as a leader.

82: Not to say it is not the case, buy why would you "believe" something you can't objectively substantiate?

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

82: Not to say it is not the case, buy why would you "believe" something you can't objectively substantiate?

Because I do know that this has often taken place in other situations. Many coaches rely on a core group for a variety of reasons, not least of which is keeping a pulse on team dynamics. Yea - can't substaniate that any of this took place with Matty and the team, but my gut tells me that Matty is not all too respected by the team, particularly the soul of the team (DD, A-DUB, Hayes and Fitz). We'll never know as this sort of stuff typically remains in the vault (as it should). But, in my athletic experience, as well as knowing several professional athletes, I can definitively say that this is not an uncommon action...

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Duck, are you kidding?

Not at all. What other offensive players have the hides on the wall besides Fitz?

RWells? Levi Brown? I can hear that now: "uh coach we don't think Matt is the guy to lead us. He can't get the ball out in .975 seconds and you know that's as long as we can hold a block." "Oh and by the way, we also need some new running backs because the guys we have keep getting tackled as soon as they get the handoff."

I might give you Faneca. And that could explain why he hasn't blocked anybody this pre season. He's been too busy helping the coaches evaluate the QBs.

Again Cbus was talking about OFFENSIVE players not the defensive players you keep mentioning.

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Not at all. What other offensive players have the hides on the wall besides Fitz?

RWells? Levi Brown? I can hear that now: "uh coach we don't think Matt is the guy to lead us. He can't get the ball out in .975 seconds and you know that's as long as we can hold a block." "Oh and by the way, we also need some new running backs because the guys we have keep getting tackled as soon as they get the handoff."

Again Cbus was talking about OFFENSIVE players not the defensive players you keep mentioning.

I can easily A-Dub and DD weighing in on this...

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can easily A-Dub and DD weighing in on this...

And I could easily see Whis telling them to shut up and attend to their own side of the ball since they have been less than stellar too.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
And I could easily see Whis telling them to shut up and attend to their own side of the ball since they have been less than stellar too.

So could I but we were only talking about the friggin' offense!!!!!!!

Come on this isn't the P&R board.

Dude, there are leaders of the offense, the defense and of the team as a whole. I would not at all be surprised if Whiz chatted with guys like A-Dub and DD about the situation with Matty. Matty's issues are not as much about his stats as a QB. I'm surprised you don't see that.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Dude, there are leaders of the offense, the defense and of the team as a whole. I would not at all be surprised if Whiz chatted with guys like A-Dub and DD about the situation with Matty. Matty's issues are not as much about his stats as a QB. I'm surprised you don't see that.

Come on yourself. Cbus was only talking about Offensive players. And so was I. The possibility of defensive players doing it was only brought up by you and used to attack my posts afterwards. I think you've spent too much time on the P&R board where twisting the OP's original premise in order to attack the responses to it are SOP.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Come on yourself. Cbus was only talking about Offensive players. And so was I. The possibility of defensive players doing it was only brought up by you and used to attack my posts afterwards. I think you've spent too much time on the P&R board where twisting the OP's original premise in order to attack the responses to it are SOP.

Huh?? I've been talking about the possibility of Whiz speaking to other players since the moment DA starting was fiirst announced.

My contention all along has been that there are leaders on every team, that cross offense and defense... And many coaches use these leaders for a variety of reasons, not least of which is to keep a pulse on the team dynamics. I actually could see, in this case, Whiz placing more emphasis on what A-Dub and DD have to say than just about anyone else on the offense (sans Fitz of course)...

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Huh?? I've been talking about the possibility of Whiz speaking to other players since the moment DA starting was fiirst announced.

My contention all along has been that there are leaders on every team, that cross offense and defense... And many coaches use these leaders for a variety of reasons, not least of which is to keep a pulse on the team dynamics. I actually could see, in this case, Whiz placing more emphasis on what A-Dub and DD have to say than just about anyone else on the offense (sans Fitz of course)...

I never responded to that in this thread. In case you missed it here is the post I responded to:

It's only speculation on my part, but maybe some key veterans on the offense let it be known that they think their best chance to win is with DA at quarterback. I've heard many times from ex-players being interviewed that they know who the best QB is very quickly in camp. We don't know all the behind the scenes stuff but maybe that's what has happened. I haven't heard any players come out in Leinart's defense yet. I also got the feeling last week from listening to the Underground podcast that Wolfley didn't seem too enamored with ML. Veterans letting Whiz know how they feel could be a reason for the sudden change that none of us saw coming.

I simply asked what key veterans on offense are there besides Fitz with the "hides on the wall" to be able to do that?

What the defensive players may or may not have done is irrelevant in that context.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crazy_Player