Anderson to start Saturday!

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
A bitter Matt Leinart lashed out Friday, complaining about a lack of opportunity after being benched for Derek Anderson.
"It is disappointing and a little bit frustrating. I can't sit up here and say I'm happy and all smiles," said Leinart. "If it is an open competition, then let's have it that way from the start." Coach Ken Whisenhunt was eager to see Leinart's reaction to the move, and he's not handling this well at all. Leinart received first-team reps throughout the offseason and in the first two preseason games. That's more than fair.
Source: Darren Urban on Twitter

I've posted the link with the full story.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think him stating his opinion on the whole think means he is not handling it well. Read the article it sounds like he is handling it like a professional what the hell is he supposed to do throw the coach under the bus about not getting a shot? Seems a little ridiculous on Whiz' part to even be jacking around with the starters head at this point so close to the season starting. Mind games don't always work with certain people, Whiz screwed the pooch on this one IMO.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think him stating his opinion on the whole think means he is not handling it well. Read the article it sounds like he is handling it like a professional what the hell is he supposed to do throw the coach under the bus about not getting a shot? Seems a little ridiculous on Whiz' part to even be jacking around with the starters head at this point so close to the season starting. Mind games don't always work with certain people, Whiz screwed the pooch on this one IMO.

that's just it... in all likelihood, it's NOT a mind game. I think Wiz has very little faith in Matt at QB and is starting Anderson to see if there's ANY shot of having someone better. I think he's grasping at straws at the QB position and knows it.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
John Clayton on the Doug & Wolf show this morning (Friday) said everybody is making too big of a deal of this. He said this is typical Whisenhunt having competition and seeing how both do in this situation. He believes both will be on the team.

I would agree with every position except QB. That's the position that needs to have a set leader.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
A bitter Matt Leinart lashed out Friday, complaining about a lack of opportunity after being benched for Derek Anderson.
"It is disappointing and a little bit frustrating. I can't sit up here and say I'm happy and all smiles," said Leinart. "If it is an open competition, then let's have it that way from the start." Coach Ken Whisenhunt was eager to see Leinart's reaction to the move, and he's not handling this well at all. Leinart received first-team reps throughout the offseason and in the first two preseason games. That's more than fair.
Source: Darren Urban on Twitter

It wasn't too long ago that Mitch was calling out Leinart for NOT responding like this to being #2 behind Warner.

Sometimes you just can't win. But, hey, for around $15 million dollars over 5 years I'll take any abuse you want to throw at me. :D

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
I've posted the link with the full story.
I think the full story paints a different picture than that little snippet. Thanks for the update.

Was it Urban who said that Leinart is not handling it well or Whis or Town Drunk? I must have skimmed past it in the full article.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think the full story paints a different picture than that little snippet. Thanks for the update.

Was it Urban who said that Leinart is not handling it well or Whis or Town Drunk? I must have skimmed past it in the full article.

Given the 140 character limit on Twitter, I think it's a bit of editorializing by TD.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I would agree with every position except QB. That's the position that needs to have a set leader.

Sure, but you can't force it either. The team will see right through that.

As Sando said in his blog:

"It's not an ideal situation, but this is what happens when a team doesn't have an established quarterback. There's no sense in trying to fool players in the locker room. Arizona has too many veterans for that."

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
He’s definitely not happy. You know he knows Anderson has had 41 pass attempts this preseason and he only has 13. Maybe that gets flipped a bit tomorrow night. I will have a story up later too about more big picture for this week, but for now, we are getting on a bus soon to go to the airport.

That's usually not a negative but a positive. The starter in normal circumstances almost always has fewer attempts in pre season than the backups. But of course this isn't a normal situation.

Frankly the guy in the best situation right now is Skelator. You never want to be the guy who follows a legend but being the 2nd guy to follow the legend isn't nearly as bad. So Skelator gets to get paid, watch and learn and then come into very possibly a much better situation than what we have now.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll bet you a shiny nickel....

No bet needed.

I don't have any shiny nickels, but I can spread some peanut butter on both sides of one and have my dog polish it up for you.

If Hall goes on waivers and is not claimed, that treasure is all yours! :)

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
If DA goes off (ala Warner game 3 preseason a couple years back) as the starter, I forsee Leinart being waived before the season opener in favor of keeping both Skelton (who I think is the future starter of this team) and Hall (also a great find). I don't think Skelton or Hall will make it past waivers if we keep both Leinart and DA.

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hey if DA starts ...He loves forcing balls into coverage. to be honest ...as long as he throws it to Fitz....I dont care. I mean during our SuperBowl run...Warners passes were not dead on(Huge Warner fan too) to Fitz....It was Fitz just out jumping, out catching or out running the def players. I hope if DA does start...we throw the deep ball!

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
If DA goes off (ala Warner game 3 preseason a couple years back) as the starter, I forsee Leinart being waived before the season opener in favor of keeping both Skelton (who I think is the future starter of this team) and Hall (also a great find). I don't think Skelton or Hall will make it past waivers if we keep both Leinart and DA.

That has never happened.

Warner last 4 seasons game 3 PS:

8/11 73 yards 1 TD 0 INt 2006
6/7 78 yards 0 0 2007
2/4 40 yards 0 0 2008 Oakland
10/16 139 yards 0 TD 1 INT 2009

Matt

15/21 144 yards 1 TD 0 INT 2006
10/16/196 yards 1 TD 0 INT 2007
4/12 24 yards 0 TD 3 INT 2008
24/38 346 yards 3 TD 1 INT 2009

Note how little Warner played in that Oakland game.

Longcolts

Registered
Reaction score
I just reread the whole article again and what was stated at the blog was not from Urban.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Oh yes it has...1st game as a Cardinal

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=250813022

How could you forget that coming against the hated Cowpies? I didn't cause I rememered watching him throw dart after dart & told friends he still had it, thought it took a couple of years.

Cool look at history Bucky don't see too many games 13-11! And it was always great to beat Dallas pre season or regular season.

But he was talking about Warner going off in the 3rd preseason game a couple of years back and by inference it occurring with Leinart on the team.

In the 3rd preseason game in 2005 the Cards were 13-21 for 143 yards with 1 TD and 1 INT. That's as bad as my putting.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Cool look at history Bucky don't see too many games 13-11! And it was always great to beat Dallas pre season or regular season.

But he was talking about Warner going off in the 3rd preseason game a couple of years back and by inference it occurring with Leinart on the team.

In the 3rd preseason game in 2005 the Cards were 13-21 for 143 yards with 1 TD and 1 INT. That's as bad as my putting.

oops

WarnerHOF

Registered
Reaction score
I would rather live and die with Anderson's arm than watch Leinart throw 2 yard checkdowns for a 3 and out.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Then your a fool because DIE is exactly what this team will do behind DA's arm as you put it. When your arm can't hit someone 5 yards in front of you it can't run a successful NFL offense hence his pathetic career!

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

Do you realize Warner never really "went off" in the preseason? In fact you'd have to go back to 2006 to find a game 3 where he threw for a TD.