Amare could learn a thing from Grant Hill

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
Grant Hill has exercised his option to return to the team for next season for $3.3M. He probably could have opted out, and signed a 1-year deal with another team for MLE. Obviously he sees something in this team and decided money wasn't as important as team unity.

Amar'e should take notice, but unfortunately it doesn't look like he's willing to do that. :sad:

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
Maybe Amare is emulating Grant Hill in 2000 when he completed a sign and trade deal to Orlando for $90 million?

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Maybe Amare is emulating Grant Hill in 2000 when he completed a sign and trade deal to Orlando for $90 million?

This.

Amare is doing what he should be doing: trying to get as much as he can. Pretty much every player has done that, some end up staying with their teams and some leave. But they all try to get the most possible, at least early in their careers.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grant Hill has exercised his option to return to the team for next season for $3.3M. He probably could have opted out, and signed a 1-year deal with another team for MLE. Obviously he sees something in this team and decided money wasn't as important as team unity.

Amar'e should take notice, but unfortunately it doesn't look like he's willing to do that. :sad:

Grant Hill wouldn't have accepted 3.3M to sign with Orlando. You're comparing players in their prime to players in their twilight years. Not even close to the same.

OP
OP
SactownSunsFan

SactownSunsFan

Reaction score
I'm not comparing anything. I'm hoping he sees what we have here in PHX and becomes more reasonable about his contract demands. By demanding a Max contract, he's choking off any kind of flexibility we might otherwise have to make future moves.

It'd be different if Amare was a max contract player, but he isn't. Grant Hill in 2000 was. I wouldn't mind if we overpaid to keep Amare, but the max is WAY overpaying him.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not comparing anything. I'm hoping he sees what we have here in PHX and becomes more reasonable about his contract demands. By demanding a Max contract, he's choking off any kind of flexibility we might otherwise have to make future moves.

It'd be different if Amare was a max contract player, but he isn't. Grant Hill in 2000 was. I wouldn't mind if we overpaid to keep Amare, but the max is WAY overpaying him.

If anything, I'd wager that Hill wasn't a max player. He was coming off of a MAJOR ankle injury at the time. It's the nature of the beast.

OP
OP
SactownSunsFan

SactownSunsFan

Reaction score
Orlando took a huge chance in hoping he'd be healthy. Obviously, they lost out. Had he been, though, odds are he would have lived up to that contract.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Yeah, there's a big difference in their situations. Grant has already got his money. Amare's going for that one big contract in his prime. Apples and oranges.

OP
OP
SactownSunsFan

SactownSunsFan

Reaction score
Yeah, there's a big difference in their situations. Grant has already got his money. Amare's going for that one big contract in his prime. Apples and oranges.

Amare did get max money, in 2005. 5 years, $73 million. That was back when his game was still improving. His defense and rebounding have not, however, which is why he's not a max player anymore.

5 years, $90 million. I would think that's about right.

Anyway, glad to see Grant back on the team. :thumbup:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I looked at the Grant Hill article on Wikipedia, but I'm not sure what Stoudemire should learn from it exactly.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score

I don't agree with this at all. He's trying to get one, maybe 2, more big contacts. Would you turn down the opportunity? Probably not.

illone

Reaction score
If you had an opportunity to get a raise you would leave your current company in a heartbeat.

Why does Amare get hated on for doing what is right for himself and his family?

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I don't blame Amare for trying to get max money; he's still in his prime whereas Grant Hill is 37yrs old and already got his big money.

Totally different situations.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you had an opportunity to get a raise you would leave your current company in a heartbeat.

Why does Amare get hated on for doing what is right for himself and his family?

I have had that exact opportunity and I declined.

Go Devils

Rookie
Reaction score
He can learn something from Marion, things have not been so hot for him since he left. The Suns have been a perfect storm for Amare, probably the only team other than the Warriors where he can have the numbers he has had and not get benched for D & Boards. I would like for him to stay. But not for Max money and 5 years. I dont think he gets it from anyone. Not with his prior injuries, gaping holes on defense and boards from a POWER FWD. Suns can't run the risk of strapping their options in future.

illone

Reaction score
I have had that exact opportunity and I declined.

What was the raise amount, though?

certainly there were other circumstances involved and you were not offered $120M from some other company.

Amare has already said his first choice is to remain a Phoenix Sun next year so long as he is compensated.

Time to pay the man his money and while I don't think he is WORTH max contrat, he is the best player the Suns will get for their money.

If you wrote down the names of all the players in the past 10 years who were paid max contacts I'd guess 75% or more did not win championships and more than half of them are below Amare in talent and production.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The Suns have been a perfect storm for Amare, probably the only team other than the Warriors where he can have the numbers he has had and not get benched for D & Boards. I would like for him to stay. But not for Max money and 5 years. I dont think he gets it from anyone. Not with his prior injuries, gaping holes on defense and boards from a POWER FWD. Suns can't run the risk of strapping their options in future.
Exactly. If Amar'e can get top money elsewhere for (as has been said) a Small Forward in the body of a Power Forward, with mediocre defense, rebounding and consistency, he should go for it. Not to mention his anticipated physical decline.

And a team that aims for a championship should be happy to see him move on.

Wait a minute, the Suns aren't a team aiming for a championship. They want to bring in revenue and have someone in the All Star game, which is why Amar'e has played so many games out of position at Center.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly. If Amar'e can get top money elsewhere for (as has been said) a Small Forward in the body of a Power Forward, with mediocre defense, rebounding and consistency, he should go for it. Not to mention his anticipated physical decline.

And a team that aims for a championship should be happy to see him move on.

Wait a minute, the Suns aren't a team aiming for a championship. They want to bring in revenue and have someone in the All Star game, which is why Amar'e has played so many games out of position at Center.

You had me with you until the last paragraph. I understand your feelings because I have wanted a championship as well. However, it is not for a lack of trying. I think my heartache comes from the Suns never having a dominant big man. The Suns never had the chance to draft a Kareem, a David Robinson, Shaq or Tim Duncan. Also the Suns have never been gifted a Marc Gasol or been able to trade for a Kevin Garnett.

However, the Suns did have a chance to draft Karl Malone but he never came in for an interview because he thought he would be drafted earlier. I still remember seeing him on the post draft interview and having a sick feeling that the Suns messed up. This was the Suns big chance other than Barkley to get a dominant big man. Other than the Suns not being able to win a championship I am very happy with the Suns winning ways over the years. The Mavericks and Jazz are also two very good teams that have not won a championship but it does not diminish my respect for them.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
You had me with you until the last paragraph. I understand your feelings because I have wanted a championship as well. However, it is not for a lack of trying. I think my heartache comes from the Suns never having a dominant big man. The Suns never had the chance to draft a Kareem, a David Robinson, Shaq or Tim Duncan. Also the Suns have never been gifted a Marc Gasol or been able to trade for a Kevin Garnett.

However, the Suns did have a chance to draft Karl Malone but he never came in for an interview because he thought he would be drafted earlier. I still remember seeing him on the post draft interview and having a sick feeling that the Suns messed up. This was the Suns big chance other than Barkley to get a dominant big man. Other than the Suns not being able to win a championship I am very happy with the Suns winning ways over the years. The Mavericks and Jazz are also two very good teams that have not won a championship but it does not diminish my respect for them.

I agree. I have hope that Lopez develops into an elite center. I'd hate to give up on the team till we know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard