Am I looking for a silver lining...or what?

artp

Registered
Reaction score
The goal of the offseason (FA and the Draft) is to make your team better than it was the year before. Despite losing WR D Boston, the Cardinal WR corp will be better in 2003 than they were in 2002. Because Boston didn't show up in 2002. Satus quo, the WR group will be better in 2003. Players will be coming back from injury and players will have more experience. I'm not saying we might not miss Bostons big play ability of 2001, but I'm saying overall the WR group will be better going in to 2003 than they were coming out of 2002. And if we have a QB who can throw the ball with strength and accuracy.......

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's reaching; but to a very small degree I agree with you.

The WR we have are okay. However, I believe we do need to bring in a guy who has some experience in the #1 WR role. Gadsden, Conway, Crowell--none of these guys are going to light the world on fire, but they'd bring some nice dimensions to our WR corps.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by Pariah
That's reaching; but to a very small degree I agree with you.

The WR we have are okay. However, I believe we do need to bring in a guy who has some experience in the #1 WR role. Gadsden, Conway, Crowell--none of these guys are going to light the world on fire, but they'd bring some nice dimensions to our WR corps.

If you bring in any of those three, you've got to sign another good veteran also. All 3 are coming off of injuries and two (Conway and Crowell) are injury-prone. If we were to sign, lets say Crowell and Derrius Thompson, I think we might be OK.

I would also try to resign Mar Tay at a decent, but not big contract. He looked like he was legitimately improving last year...

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thompson just signed with Miami today, he's off the board.

I think even if we get half a season out of any of those guys, we'll be okay. The potential from our young guys is astounding. This may be the beers tralking, but in 2 or 3 years you could be talking about McAddley, Gilmore and Kasper being one of the most dangerous WR corps in the league. Won't happen next year, but if all of these guys develop to their potential they'll be darn good.

How many years is Kasper signed for--or is he even signed on for next year, yet?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Yeah I just read that :(

We need to seriously bring in a few more wideouts, or were toast. I can't believe we haven't brought in a wideout. It is absolutely nerve racking!

OP
OP
A

artp

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think we have to be panicked into doing anything. I think we can bring a potentially strong unit into camp. I don't necessarily think we should turn our focus away from Defense ust to appease the loss of D boston.

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

I think even if we get half a season out of any of those guys, we'll be okay. The potential from our young guys is astounding. This may be the beers tralking, but in 2 or 3 years you could be talking about McAddley, Gilmore and Kasper being one of the most dangerous WR corps in the league. Won't happen next year, but if all of these guys develop to their potential they'll be darn good.

How many years is Kasper signed for--or is he even signed on for next year, yet?

Why not next year? They had this season to work on improvement. Why not expect starter quality now?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know why everyone is so down on Conway. I had him on my fantasy team last year and I can vouch for the fact that he was kicking butt until he got hurt. He's WAY WAY better than Frank Sanders. In fact, if you look at when San Diego's offense went into the tank last year, it was when Conway got hurt.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by ajcardfan
In fact, if you look at when San Diego's offense went into the tank last year, it was when Conway got hurt.

Which is a good reason to sign TWO quality veteran receivers (Conway included)! :D

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Conway doesnt do anything for me, he's a Sanders clone!

I haven't watched Conway all that much, but I seem to recall a lot of highlight films and line scores where he caught long passes for TD's.

That's one thing Frankie doesn't do all that much - take it to the house. I think Conway has a bit more home run potential than Frankie.

But I like them both.

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Be Careful

Better be careful Pariah.....I was called an idiot on here for saying I thought Kasper was a decent receiver....in fact I think they used all-caps.....KASPER?....KASPER?

Reminds me of that movie line:

KASPER?.....KASPER?...WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN KASPERS?

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Originally posted by football24/7
Conway doesnt do anything for me, he's a Sanders clone!

Nothing wrong with being a Sanders clone. I hope Frank is resigned.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Re: Be Careful

Originally posted by BuckeyeCardinal
Better be careful Pariah.....I was called an idiot on here for saying I thought Kasper was a decent receiver....in fact I think they used all-caps.....KASPER?....KASPER?

Reminds me of that movie line:

KASPER?.....KASPER?...WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN KASPERS?

Kasper is really an unknow quanity. He did not play enough to say is a starting NFL wideout. Time will tell.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Re: Re: Be Careful

Originally posted by john h
Kasper is really an unknow quanity. He did not play enough to say is a starting NFL wideout. Time will tell.

But he did make enough plays last year to project him to being a decent WR. Not a 1 or 2 but he could be a 3 or 4. If the Cards go into the season with him as one of the top 2 WRs, then they have suffered some injuries or he has really polished his game during the offseason.

I personally think he can contribute and Cards should make sure he is in camp competing for a job.

General Chaos

Gronko = Man Beast
Reaction score
Conway is not the clone of Sanders. Conway was a league leader in receiving mid way through the season. He has the ability to get open. Sanders is never open. Conway would be a great acquisition.

OP
OP
A

artp

Registered
Reaction score
I just don't want to sign or draft any Wr out of panic for losing Boston. Even with the loss of Boston, I don't think WR is a "must need" position.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison