Alex Smith: We will have double digit wins.

gohard83

Registered
Reaction score
And that means exactly what for the upcoming season? If they had an actual team (current players and coaches) with a prior team history of winning and overachieving, that would make sense. The past, though, is worth absolutely zero to these 49ers.

Great teams like the 49ers, Cowboys, Packers, and Steelers always seem to bounce back after one or two terrible seasons. They never stay sucking, its no coincidence guys. Sometimes we just have to respect them as a great franchise, end of story. Why do you think teams like ours and the Lions have been sucking forever even with all the great players we brought in?? the team's history of winning and attitude is a big part of the organization (well except for the Browns).

Im not trying to bash our team or anything (been a die hard for over 20 years), so dont get me wrong. Im just recognizing the truth and not try to be one of those fans who just talk trash out of their ass.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thank you for being honest. I was just reading through this thread and thinking the same exact thing. Welcome to ASFN, I will have a Coors Lite and some banana walnut pancakes w/ sausage and vermont maple syrup.

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The Niners are getting all the love and very cocky like DG was with the Cards. They better be careful or they are going to be looking at 5 and 6 win seasons.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Great teams like the 49ers, Cowboys, Packers, and Steelers always seem to bounce back after one or two terrible seasons. They never stay sucking, its no coincidence guys. Sometimes we just have to respect them as a great franchise, end of story. Why do you think teams like ours and the Lions have been sucking forever even with all the great players we brought in?? the team's history of winning and attitude is a big part of the organization (well except for the Browns).

Im not trying to bash our team or anything (been a die hard for over 20 years), so dont get me wrong. Im just recognizing the truth and not try to be one of those fans who just talk trash out of their ass.

Your point doesn't make sense. The team has new ownership, new coaches, new players, new everything. There is really no link to the championship teams other than a name. It gives them exactly zero edge against other teams. The Steelers will have a tough time too, but they probably do have a bit of that swagger left over. They'll either make a good playoff run or drop to the bottom for a while. The Cowboys languished in futility for more than a year or two, and even recently have been only just barely competitive. The Packers went from '83 to '94 without playing in a single playoff game. Before that, they hadn't been in one since '72. Just because you have a great name team doesn't mean a thing come the new season.

Edit: Although I disagree strongly with your point about 'name' teams, I agree that it is difficult for losing teams to erase the losing attitude.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

Aside from mailing address, today's 49ers have nothing in common with the teams that won Superbowls. New ownership group, new front office, new coach, new players.

Of the teams you note above, the teams other than the 49ers have the same owners that they had during the Superbowl/playoff years.

Reaction score
the niners really think this is going to happen? they really bolstered their defense obviously. but i personally think their offense wont improve. adding jackson and lelie doesnt scare me all too much. my crackpot theory is that vernon davis really wont start reaching any form of his potential till late this season.

i also think a lot of our season is riding on the monday night game week 1. we lose that game on national tv, the niners go home riding high and probably win 5 games early and ultimately about 9-10 wins. we win, it swaps. its going to be a tough obviously. even though we have swept them last 4 games. they play us hard.

the niners are probably favored to win, we are playing a new defense fresh out of the gate. hopefully we iron it out completely in pre-season cause this niner game is really important. we win on monday night week 1 and we have something to build off of.

Gambit

First-Class Second-Rate Poster
Reaction score
the niners really think this is going to happen? they really bolstered their defense obviously. but i personally think their offense wont improve. adding jackson and lelie doesnt scare me all too much. my crackpot theory is that vernon davis really wont start reaching any form of his potential till late this season.

i also think a lot of our season is riding on the monday night game week 1. we lose that game on national tv, the niners go home riding high and probably win 5 games early and ultimately about 9-10 wins. we win, it swaps. its going to be a tough obviously. even though we have swept them last 4 games. they play us hard.

the niners are probably favored to win, we are playing a new defense fresh out of the gate. hopefully we iron it out completely in pre-season cause this niner game is really important. we win on monday night week 1 and we have something to build off of.

I'm not so sure that game 1 is make or break for us this season. Oh, it be nice to start off with a win, and in prime time at that, but I don't think it's crucial. It will be really tough to go into a hostile environment and win with a brand new coaching staff and techniques (although the Niners don't have Turner anymore).

Bottom line-we win, awesome. We lose, bummer--but it's not the start of a domino effect--unless it's a loss in the vein of Monday Night Meltdown against Chicago.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson