Actually impressed by Andy Isabella

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I was watching an old 1985ish Bear's game. Johnny Morris was announcing and at the time he held the Bear's all time receiving record. He said that the receiver made a great catch using his body which is the best way to catch. I wonder when that idea died.
My guess is a wider view of 'catch' in an older time.

Back then there was much more contact allowed, and up until what about 77-78 there wasn't even pass interference. On top of that, catch and fumble were more easily called (two feet rule), and no review.

So I believe it was more of a viewpoint to get it in and secure, during a time of a more physical game. It makes sense from that viewpoint. You're going to boink it off your body more than drop it if you catch it with your hands, but it's less likely to be knocked away as you're catching it or fumbled if you actually get it.

Now they call what used to be a catch and a fumble, an incomplete pass, and the game has turned into a passing, hurry up, spread, etc league.

Probably something like that.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
At least 4 weeks he'll have a shot to get on the field. Could be Dortch, but that depends on if they want Hollywood in the slot for 10 personnel or not.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
:)
You must be registered for see images attach
I can't remember the name of the football game that I had on my computer in the 80s (Super Bowl Sunday???) but I would always play the Dolphins. All I had to do was throw the ball deep to Duper or Clayton and I couldn't be stopped. Used to drive my little brother crazy.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't remember the name of the football game that I had on my computer in the 80s but I would always play the Dolphins. All I had to do was throw the ball deep to Duper or Clayton and I couldn't be stopped. Used to drive my little brother crazy.
Tecmo Bowl?

AzRedbird69

Rookie
Reaction score
He'll, he might be our leading receiver for a few weeks this season. Brown, Green and Ertz have caught a total of 0. I think Dorch is more likely our secret weapon.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
From what I watched so far Andy looks like a late bloomer that has caught on. He is a fourth wideout to me but there is no way that he wouldn’t get his chance after the preseason that he has shown.
I think he looks like he really dedicated himself this year. Physically he looks stronger and you saw more hand catches in the preseason.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
He played hard in preseason and is coming in with a massive chip on his shoulder. I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt to begin the season
Wouldnt it be so Cardinal for AI to go out in his contract year and get 110 catches for 1600 yards and 15 TDs....

Then go sign with Carolina

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
He played hard in preseason and is coming in with a massive chip on his shoulder. I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt to begin the season
Most likely he does nothing, but you never know.

It would be this teams luck that Isabella becomes a really good receiver and then bounces because he feels the Cardinals held him back.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Most likely he does nothing, but you never know.

It would be this teams luck that Isabella becomes a really good receiver and then bounces because he feels the Cardinals held him back.
Best case scenario he looks good in limited snaps and the cardinals sign him to an AJ Green type deal.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
I think he looks like he really dedicated himself this year. Physically he looks stronger and you saw more hand catches in the preseason.

I think he has worked extremely hard from the time he was drafted. He was just selected way to high because Keim is terrible. I have always seen him as one of the most dedicated and likeable members of the team. He just should NEVER have been selected in the second round

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Pulling for any player to do well. They all put in a tremendous amount work year round. I hope AI becomes a contributor this year but waiting to see it happen and on a regular basis.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I can't remember the name of the football game that I had on my computer in the 80s (Super Bowl Sunday???) but I would always play the Dolphins. All I had to do was throw the ball deep to Duper or Clayton and I couldn't be stopped. Used to drive my little brother crazy.
You get high Marks for that.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
From what I watched so far Andy looks like a late bloomer that has caught on. He is a fourth wideout to me but there is no way that he wouldn’t get his chance after the preseason that he has shown.
In other words, a few posters are seeing fool's gold from AI because of training camp just like last year. Time changes, but things stay the same :)

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In other words, a few posters are seeing fool's gold from AI because of training camp just like last year. Time changes, but things stay the same :)
He had a horrible camp last year, so I’m not sure what your point is?? He had Covid AND an injury on top of that.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
He had a horrible camp last year, so I’m not sure what your point is?? He had Covid AND an injury on top of that.
And then he came in with a handful of “the best practices I’ve ever seen” and saved his roster spot.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And then he came in with a handful of “the best practices I’ve ever seen” and saved his roster spot.
He never had to save his roster spot last year. COVID & the injury set him back & ensured that he wouldn’t see the field much. But, he was never in danger of not making the 53 last year.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was watching an old 1985ish Bear's game. Johnny Morris was announcing and at the time he held the Bear's all time receiving record. He said that the receiver made a great catch using his body which is the best way to catch. I wonder when that idea died.
Whether we want to believe it or not, there are many WR’s in the HOF that were body catchers. But, the game has changed & bodies are different for sure. In today’s NFL, tough to stop WR’s with great hands.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave