About the Wilson penalty from AP story

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Don't know if this has been posted. This is from the AP writeup on the game on the Baltimore Sun website....

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-ravenshome923,0,5386826.story?coll=bal_tab01_layout

The Ravens benefited from a questionable personal foul call on safety Adrian Wilson, who was called for a high hit on Todd Heap at the end of a first-down pass.

"We had an airborne receiver hit by a defender, who we called launched into him, and he had a blow above the shoulders into the head area," referee Jerome Boger said.

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
Don't know if this has been posted. This is from the AP writeup on the game on the Baltimore Sun website....

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-ravenshome923,0,5386826.story?coll=bal_tab01_layout

The Ravens benefited from a questionable personal foul call on safety Adrian Wilson, who was called for a high hit on Todd Heap at the end of a first-down pass.

Where did this line come from? I don't see it in the article. The way I read it,
"Going over the middle at midfield, Heap leapt in the air only to have the shoulder of 230-pound safety Adrian Wilson hit in him the head.
it doesn't sound like they think the play was questionable.

ANDY440

Registered
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Also from the Baltimore Sun

And forget a game ball. The Ravens need to send a case of champagne to the back judge who called the personal foul on the Cardinals' Adrian Wilson on the game-winning drive

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
BS Call hit him hard with the shoulder CLEAN HIT!!! That call cost us the game! Weren't in FG range and time was running short. Not only stopped clock it instantly put them into FG position! I was screaming I was so pissed! But I knew when we did not put it in the endzone and left 1:55 on the clock we were gonna F it up!

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Bad call changed the outcome of the game. Crap call.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did, however, loved reading all the articles about how Adrian could rock almost any TE's world but Heaps all week.. Then Adrian laid him out.. Heap was out cold lol..

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
In tonight's light heavyweight fight Adrian "Waterboy" Wilson scores a KO in the 4th round over Baltimore's Todd Heap.

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
BS call. A-dub is bringing the hits and well within the rules. The refs are totally messing his game up with bs calls.

dylanbw

Registered
Reaction score
I know this will never happen, but..

...if you can use replay to see if see if a receiver's toes hit the field or sideline, then why can't you look to see if AW hit Heap in the head or below the head??? If the 15 yard penatly is for a "blow to the head", and the replay shows that the clean hit was actually well below the head, then why not reverse the call??

They can't throw a flag just because Heap goy KTFO!! This happened to AW last year too at a critical juncture; can't remember which game, but it was a clean hit then too.

F!

DKCards

Reaction score
Even though this pic makes it look illegal, it wasnt..

You must be registered for see images

It was a BS call but I think this picture shows why AW got flaged. The hit was clean, he lead with his shoulder, but he then extended his arm and it looked like he lead with his elbow/forearm. The ref even told Whis that he hit Heap with the forearm.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was a BS call but I think this picture shows why AW got flaged. The hit was clean, he lead with his shoulder, but he then extended his arm and it looked like he lead with his elbow/forearm. The ref even told Whis that he hit Heap with the forearm.

You can lead and extend your arm if you want. The problem is that they said that the forearm was to the head. I didn't slow that play down, but it looked pretty bad full speed.

We should all come to expect questionable calls from the officials.

DKCards

Reaction score
You can lead and extend your arm if you want. The problem is that they said that the forearm was to the head. I didn't slow that play down, but it looked pretty bad full speed.

Your right, you just can not go after his head with your forearm. I slowed it down and watched it and it is clear that AW made contact with him with his shoulder pad then extened his hand.

It was the same hit that Lewis put on Bienemann (I think) on the Cards last drive with no flag. It is a shame that it came down to this but if the Cards would have scored a TD on the last drive or if the defense didn't give up 10 yards after the flag we would not even be talking about this.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

what makes me crazy is if you think about it:

If a 220 lb safety at near full speed leads with a forearm into the helmet of a 235 lb TE running in the opposite direction -- that safety's forearm is going to shatter into a million pieces.

I have watched the TIVO a hundred times -- AW's helmet never touches Heaps ---

the penalty was an emotional reaction by the referee to a violent hit. The flag should have been thrown on Boller for endangering the life of the Ravens most important offensive player.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what makes me crazy is if you think about it:

If a 220 lb safety at near full speed leads with a forearm into the helmet of a 235 lb TE running in the opposite direction -- that safety's forearm is going to shatter into a million pieces.

I have watched the TIVO a hundred times -- AW's helmet never touches Heaps ---

the penalty was an emotional reaction by the referee to a violent hit. The flag should have been thrown on Boller for endangering the life of the Ravens most important offensive player.

You are Dead On , E.F. The ref called what he THOUGHT he saw. If that play is reviewable, which I don't understand why it isn't, the penalty would have been reversed.

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
Just watch the replay... the penelty is a crock of ****!!! A-dub clearly put his shoulder into him. You can see him raise shoulder just before impact.. What a bunch of officiating TARDS!!!!

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
AW had no business getting that close to his head with 1m left in a game...

If he had just hit him in the chest with that force, there is no way he gets a penalty or Heap catches the ball.

What is that a 35yd difference?

Stupid.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your right, you just can not go after his head with your forearm. I slowed it down and watched it and it is clear that AW made contact with him with his shoulder pad then extened his hand.

It was the same hit that Lewis put on Bienemann (I think) on the Cards last drive with no flag. It is a shame that it came down to this but if the Cards would have scored a TD on the last drive or if the defense didn't give up 10 yards after the flag we would not even be talking about this.

The Cards did score a TD on the last drive, or at least should have had the ball at the one yard line. The no-call on the pass interference against BJ in the end zone was as blatant as the no-call on Lewis on the hit on Bienemann when the Cards had the ball.

Even Bickley was complaining about the refs this morning and I've never heard that before.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
TheCardFan are you serious? That was a great hit and totally legal, we got hosed! Not to mention all the hard LATE hits they put on our guys all game long with NO CALLS! And a NO CALL on obvious PI in the endzone our possession right before which wins us the game!

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AW had no business getting that close to his head with 1m left in a game...

If he had just hit him in the chest with that force, there is no way he gets a penalty or Heap catches the ball.

What is that a 35yd difference?

Stupid.

No offense guy, but you need to watch the replay and then watch it again in slow motion, rewind, slow motion, and then do it one more time.
HE did hit him in the chest!

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
No offense guy, but you need to watch the replay and then watch it again in slow motion, rewind, slow motion, and then do it one more time.
HE did hit him in the chest!
The only thing I can see is when AW hit Heap both their heads snapped toward each other. I'm pretty sure they didn't hit. It was not a head to head collision. It was a shoulder to shoulder or shoulder to chest (or somewhere in between).