About the Wilson penalty from AP story

DKCards

Reaction score
The Cards did score a TD on the last drive, or at least should have had the ball at the one yard line. The no-call on the pass interference against BJ in the end zone was as blatant as the no-call on Lewis on the hit on Bienemann when the Cards had the ball.

Even Bickley was complaining about the refs this morning and I've never heard that before.

I hate to say it but the drop by BJ at the 15 was huge.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sorry BJ is not the reason we lost this game not even close! I believe Boldin had a drop or two also, or how about stupid Fitz getting the ball taken away from him as we driving into the redzone, at least 3 points there right? How about Rackers missing a kick? Lots of things to look at besides a drop on BJ geesh!

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
BS Call hit him hard with the shoulder CLEAN HIT!!! That call cost us the game! Weren't in FG range and time was running short. Not only stopped clock it instantly put them into FG position! I was screaming I was so pissed! But I knew when we did not put it in the endzone and left 1:55 on the clock we were gonna F it up!
Ahem. I hated the call as much as anyone, but let's put it in perspective.

It put the ball on our 39 (no chip shot for Stover by any definition). We then let the Ravens pick up another 11 yards (on a 7-yard pass, a 2 yard run and a 2 yard scramble) to put them into chip shot territory.

Also - while I agree that the call was bogus - when it happened, the first thing that entered my mind was "Are they going to throw the flag?" Admit it; weren't you thinking the same thing?

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

It put the ball on our 39 (no chip shot for Stover by any definition). We then let the Ravens pick up another 11 yards (on a 7-yard pass, a 2 yard run and a 2 yard scramble) to put them into chip shot territory.

Also - while I agree that the call was bogus - when it happened, the first thing that entered my mind was "Are they going to throw the flag?" Admit it; weren't you thinking the same thing?

The first thing I thought was, "Awesome hit."

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I actually thought wow how the hell did he hold onto that ball! Then I thought oh crap they are gonna screw us right here and throw a late flag! Then presto in comes a late flag from a back judge 30 yrds downfield, since he had such a close look at it and all. Just another ridiculous call and more reason for people to believe that professional sports are all FIXED! Lots of no calls all game for late hits on our guys PI's not called and then a back judge gonna make this call at the end of a game? Just a BAD BAD call!

DKCards

Reaction score
Sorry BJ is not the reason we lost this game not even close! I believe Boldin had a drop or two also, or how about stupid Fitz getting the ball taken away from him as we driving into the redzone, at least 3 points there right? How about Rackers missing a kick? Lots of things to look at besides a drop on BJ geesh!

No he didn’t loose the game. There were many breaks that went against the Cards that could have changed that game. As there were many things that went their way to get them back into the game. But errors at the end of the game are always amplified. If BJ caught that pass at the 15 they get a first down. At the least more time comes off the clock and at the best they get a TD. You have to make clutch plays at clutch times in order to win at this game.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

yes it was the game. It gave Balt the ball NOW within field goal range. He kicked a 46 yarder to win it. Add 16 and he's at 61...well out of his range.

That call was BS!!

You'd think refs would know by now that Wilson is a HARD hitter, but legal and always has been. He should get some respect from being at the pro bowl.

That call was a home team call if any.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So Boldin dropping the little slant right at the end could have been huge too right? Or Fitz getting stripped IN THE RED ZONE cost us points too right? Just saying, to point out one play by Johnson is kinda ticky tack.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Not me. I thought it was a great play. I was shocked when I first saw the flag notice on the TV screen. Then i started wondering what the rule is that applies to a defenseless receiver because I had never heard that used before.

justAndy

Jolly Nihilist
Reaction score
Also - the defense's INABILITY to stop the Ravens on several 3rd and longs ALL game long + the failure to stop that punt return loomed larger to me than
a bad call by a ref.
The Cardinals will have to establish a few years of winning before the refs will give them respect.

Last edited:

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
...if you can use replay to see if see if a receiver's toes hit the field or sideline, then why can't you look to see if AW hit Heap in the head or below the head??? If the 15 yard penatly is for a "blow to the head", and the replay shows that the clean hit was actually well below the head, then why not reverse the call??

They can't throw a flag just because Heap goy KTFO!! This happened to AW last year too at a critical juncture; can't remember which game, but it was a clean hit then too.

F!

Agreed - why not make some penalties subject to the same instant replay / challenge rules as normal plays are? Can anyone doubt that a big pass disrupted by an unseen (by the refs) PI (or when PI is called when it shouldn't have been) will have a major effect on the game?

Of course, some penalties would be non-reviewable, but IMHO, most would be, and if a ref can make a mistake on a fumble call, why couldn't they make a mistake on penalty call?

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
The Cardinals will have to establish a few years of winning before the refs will give them respect.

Any referee who takes a team's history into consideration should be fired. A play is a play is a play. Why should a team's history have anything to do with a ref's "respect"?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Any referee who takes a team's history into consideration should be fired. A play is a play is a play. Why should a team's history have anything to do with a ref's "respect"?

I don't know but it does seem to happen. Remember the Colts game where Indy came in with some ridiculously low number of PI calls for the season. Then they proceeded to mug our receivers the entire game without any penalties being called for PI.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Yeah I thought he was going to throw the flag. No not because i thought it was a penalty, but because I thought the ref would get caught up in the emotion which he did. It was a devastating hit with alot of oooooohhs and ahhhhss so the ref felt compelled by the emotion of it all to make a call.

The Nfl talks about not wanting to decide the outcome of games... hello that is exactly what you just did! That play directly affected the outcome of the game.

People talk about this play or that play or missed opps in the first half, but it comes down to that play.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

no question --

the issue with the call is two fold:

it wasnt just the fifteen yards-- it was the fact that with Heap down, the Ravens would have had to use their second time out to stop the clock.

That would have left them with 1st and 10 at the Raven 46, :47 seconds left, one timeout and needing 25 yards to get into reasonable field goal range. Hardly desperation, but alot different from first down at the 39, clock stopped and two timeouts left.

The penalty effectively allowed the Ravens to use their whole playbook, when without it, about half the playbook goes out the window.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Bad call changed the outcome of the game. Crap call.

I hate to say it but the call looked correct to me. That hit was in the head or neck. We already have two guys now with serious spinal injuries this year. I do not think Wilson intended to hit him that high but when he launched the receiver was at the apex of his jump and when Wilson arrived he was coming down and brought his head and neck into the hitting area. In hunting they call that leading your target or windage.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
john h you need to watch the play again it was a clean hit, their is NO argument you can make that the call was correct!

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
No offense guy, but you need to watch the replay and then watch it again in slow motion, rewind, slow motion, and then do it one more time.
HE did hit him in the chest!

No offense taken.

You can't risk letting the official decide the game with that type of hit. It was a great hit but the NFL is not going to allow vicious hits like they used to.

The NFL will come out this week and say if it was legal or not...AW will get fined if it was illegal.

Regardless, at that point in the game, it was too risky. He should have hit him in the chest and the ball would not have been completed.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No offense taken.

You can't risk letting the official decide the game with that type of hit. It was a great hit but the NFL is not going to allow vicious hits like they used to.

The NFL will come out this week and say if it was legal or not...AW will get fined if it was illegal.

Regardless, at that point in the game, it was too risky. He should have hit him in the chest and the ball would not have been completed.

He did.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even though this pic makes it look illegal, it wasnt..

You must be registered for see images

Yeah watching the replay on the NFL.com videos section it sure looks from one angle that Adrian uses a forearm, but from the other angle it appears to just be shoulder. I think the ref who threw the flag clearly had the angle that made it seem like a forearm.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
I love how we've basically got to the point in the NFL where "intent" is penalized. AW's hit was clean and should be commended. If Ray Lewis had made the hit it would be glamorized on the cover of SI. There was a clear double standard in Baltimore yesterday.

I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet but the McNair (non)fumble which wasn't awarded to Arizona, even after replay, is another example of a bad decision by the ref's. His arm was NOT going forward. He didn't release the ball on his own, a defender knocked it out. I don't even see how it was questionable.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I love how we've basically got to the point in the NFL where "intent" is penalized. AW's hit was clean and should be commended. If Ray Lewis had made the hit it would be glamorized on the cover of SI. There was a clear double standard in Baltimore yesterday.

I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet but the McNair (non)fumble which wasn't awarded to Arizona, even after replay, is another example of a bad decision by the ref's. His arm was NOT going forward. He didn't release the ball on his own, a defender knocked it out. I don't even see how it was questionable.

that was a tough call

McNairs arm does move forward and the ball goes to the ground -- what isnt clear was if the motion was 100% the result of the defender hitting the arm, or was it some combination of defender hitting it as well as McNair moving his arm forward.

I get why the ref ruled the way he did, even if I didnt like the ruling.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard