A win/win situation to get seau

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
If the cards trade their six for both saints picks and then trade one of those away for seau. That way we still have a first rounder plus seau. Im sure the chargers would give him away for just a 1st rounder and maybe we can throw in a 5th. I do not see a loser in this situation. What do you all think?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by azcardsfan1616
If the cards trade their six for both saints picks and then trade one of those away for seau. That way we still have a first rounder plus seau. Im sure the chargers would give him away for just a 1st rounder and maybe we can throw in a 5th. I do not see a loser in this situation. What do you all think?

Sorry but if we traded for 2 first round picks it would be rather stupid to trade away one of them for Seau who is in no way shape or form worth a 1st rounder! The dude is 33/34 and maybe has one good year left if that and you dont trade away a 1st rounder who could be a possible difference maker for years to come for a washed up HOFer. Sorry that just wouldnt make sense!

The Chargers would be willing to give him away for less than that Im quite sure and Graves already said that there price was to steep and that he would aproach Seau after June 1st when he is a FA!

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I would love to see seau in AZ...

But using a TOP pick no way...

A second day pick I would think about if it were no higher than a 4th...

Red Air Force

DILLIGAFF
Reaction score
If we were to trade for two pick I might actually consider trading one to GB for KGB, and trade the lower of the two to Seattle for Darrell Jackson. Use the seocnd on a C or CB, and trade next years second for T. Streets after the draft.

I would say that just about fills our holes for the up comming season, but as far as seau goes, no more than a 5th or 6th.

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I'm not sure you can do that 1616. I remember some rule about not being able to trade a lower pick than you earned for a player. Maybe that's just for restricted FA's though.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by CaliforniaCard
If we were to trade for two pick I might actually consider trading one to GB for KGB, and trade the lower of the two to Seattle for Darrell Jackson. Use the seocnd on a C or CB, and trade next years second for T. Streets after the draft.

I would say that just about fills our holes for the up comming season, but as far as seau goes, no more than a 5th or 6th.

You can't do that. It has already been discussed, and a team can't trade down and then trade a 1st rounder. It has to be the team's original first rounder. Good idea (I like it) but no workie.:D

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by azcardsfan1616

Seau is not worth even close to a first rounder.

He actually isn't half the player he was five years ago, and from what I hear, he actually hurt SD more than he helped since he freelances so much.

I wouldn't even trade a first day pick for him.

Red Air Force

DILLIGAFF
Reaction score
Originally posted by Krangthebrain
You can't do that. It has already been discussed, and a team can't trade down and then trade a 1st rounder. It has to be the team's original first rounder. Good idea (I like it) but no workie.:D

Ahhh, I didn't know that. So what happens if you trade your first rounder away, does it take from the next year then?

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Junior Seau came here, he'd be a backup to Ronald McKinnon at best.

I'm not at all enthused about giving up anything for Seau when he's going to be cut on April 15 anyway so the Chargers don't have to pay him a huge roster bonus.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the cards trade their six for both saints picks and then trade one of those away for seau.
No, no, no, no & no.

To phrase it a bit differently: No!

You are indirectly suggesting that we'd be possibly be better off with Seau and someone like Chris Kelsay than we would with Suggs or Newman.

I'd love to see Junior in a Cardinal uniform, but not at the price of sacrificing a Suggs, Newman or even Robertson.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Skkorpion
If Junior Seau came here, he'd be a backup to Ronald McKinnon at best.

:shock:

McKinnon is steady, but not a playmaker. No way Seau backs up McKinnon (IMHO).

That said, I don't want to give ANYTHING up for him, although if he comes to us as a FA I'd make him an offer in a heartbeat (2 year deal, max).

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I'm with you on getting 2 first rd picks if Suggs or Robertson isn't there. I'm okay with giving the Chargers a 5th rd pick for Junior, but as Jeff stated No, no, no, no & No for our 1st rd pick. Maybe 9 years ago but not now.

The Rams got Faulk for a 2nd and 5th rd pick, they also got A. Williams for a 2nd and 4th rd pick. The Eagles got Hugh Douglas for a 2nd rd pick. Only Ricky Williams and H. Walker have ever garnered good trade value (QB position not included).

Hell, the Chargers should give us Junior for nothing as a way of saying thanks for DB.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Krangthebrain

You can do that.

The question is raised when you sign a RFA who has been tendered @ a 1st rd tender, then you have to give up the 1st rd pick which is yours or higher.

I don't believe that the league cares about how many times you trade picks or who they are traded for. It's when the FA thing rears its ugly head that everyone gets pissy.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Just to clear up any misunderstanding. A lot of diffrent trade possibilities have been mixed into this thread, so actually Krang was right, because he was refering to trading for KGB.

The rule is that you have to use your "own" pick in order to trade for a tendered player. Tendered players are either Franchise players and restricted FAs. Orlando Pace, Tai Streets, Laveneus Coles, KGB, Darrell Jackson falls into this catogory.

There are no rules with other players. So all this BS (since he's going be to be released anyway) about giving up one of the 1st rounders, that you trade down to, for Seau is actually possible.

Teams can, however, agree on a trade, that eliminates this rule. The Bills were entitled to two 1st rounders, when Atlanta signed WR Price, but came to an agreement with Atlanta, that one was enough. The same goes with Streets. He's is tendered as a 1st rounder, but the 49'ers has stated that they would trade him for a 2nd rounder.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Originally posted by BACH
Teams can, however, agree on a trade, that eliminates this rule. The Bills were entitled to two 1st rounders, when Atlanta signed WR Price, but came to an agreement with Atlanta, that one was enough. The same goes with Streets. He's is tendered as a 1st rounder, but the 49'ers has stated that they would trade him for a 2nd rounder.

But I think that's only for players under the "Franchise" tag. I'm not sure that teams can trade the rights for restricted free agents, rather than just having them get compensation from another team when they sign your player to an offer sheet. I dont' think we can offer GB a 2nd and third, for exmple, for the RFA rights to KGB, because he could still sign to an offer sheet with another team. I haven't heard about this happening with a RGA. It was different with Price and BUF, because he was a Franchise Player, not a Restricted Free agent.

A #1, no matter how low, is an idiotic waster for Seau and his 2 yr, $10 mil contract.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Originally posted by kerouac9
But I think that's only for players under the "Franchise" tag. I'm not sure that teams can trade the rights for restricted free agents, rather than just having them get compensation from another team when they sign your player to an offer sheet. I dont' think we can offer GB a 2nd and third, for exmple, for the RFA rights to KGB, because he could still sign to an offer sheet with another team.

True, "officially" you can't do it, but it still happens.
Take the 49'ers for example. They have announced that they would settle for a 2nd round pick, eventhough Tai Street has the high tender (1st round pick). That means that any team that sign him to an offer sheet will have to send their 1st round pick to the 49'ers. But that doesn't prevent Street to sign with the 49'ers and then getting traded to another team.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
But such a contract would undoubtably include a signing bonus, and the money from that signing bonus would accellerate immediately into SF's cap for 2003, right?

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
No, because the restricted FAs only sign the standard one-tender tender contact, without SB or clauses. The new team then have to extend the contact and that contact will include SB, clauses etc.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Originally posted by BACH
No, because the restricted FAs only sign the standard one-tender tender contact, without SB or clauses. The new team then have to extend the contact and that contact will include SB, clauses etc.

Okay, so it would have to happen like this:

1. Team A comes to deal with Neeners for Streets, say, a third-round pick next year. At the same time, Team A comes to 4-year contract terms with Streets and his agent.
2. Streets signs RFA tender offer with Neeners, thereby making him a player, and not an FA.
3. Neeners trade Streets to Team A, Streets immediately signs agreed-upon contract, which voids RFA tender offer, and off we go.

Is this right? That means that Streets would have to agree to go to another team first?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn