A-Team (movie)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's funny. most of us had a bad feeling about this movie and it seems almost unanimous that we all had fun watching it. it's really too bad it got savaged by the press and the public at large didn't get into it. I mean, if there have to be franchises, we could be subjected to a hell of a lot worse than what this movie set up. All the characters were fun, the set-pieces were ridiculous, there was good eye candy and even a solid, kind of off-beat villain.

i wonder why it didn't do better. Liam Neeson has been shown to be somewhat of an action draw, Face is fresh off the Hangover... did it just come out too late, to the point that the A-Team really isn't relevant at all anymore? Even the previews weren't terrible.

thoughts?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
i wonder why it didn't do better. Liam Neeson has been shown to be somewhat of an action draw, Face is fresh off the Hangover... did it just come out too late, to the point that the A-Team really isn't relevant at all anymore? Even the previews weren't terrible.

thoughts?

I'm sure that most teenagers have never seen an episode of The A-Team. The only Face they know is Facebook.

It's probably only appealing to us Gen-Xers and we don't have the numbers to generate big bucks at the theater. Most Gen-Xers are too busy and will wait for it to hit DVD or HBO.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
I think it came out too late into the season. This movie would have been better served being one of the first movies of the summer. Coming out against Karate Kid and then having Toy Story 3 come out the next week will make sure a movie has no legs.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
it's funny. most of us had a bad feeling about this movie and it seems almost unanimous that we all had fun watching it. it's really too bad it got savaged by the press and the public at large didn't get into it. I mean, if there have to be franchises, we could be subjected to a hell of a lot worse than what this movie set up. All the characters were fun, the set-pieces were ridiculous, there was good eye candy and even a solid, kind of off-beat villain.

thoughts?

Yeah, but how much of an action draw is Liam Neeson, really? He was great in Taken, but when I think of action heroes, I don't think of Liam Neeson. And unless you're an Alias fanatic, you don't think of Bradley Cooper as an action hero, either. And they pretty much ignored the fact that Sharlto Copely was in District 9.

Also, even though he was pretty decent in the role, Rampage Jackson just isn't Mr. T. And let's face it, when you think of The A-Team, the first thing that comes to mind isn't George Peppard, it's Mr. T.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was wondering where that guy was from but I couldn't put a finger on it.

which is why they probably ignored it. Copley will get his due, and even though he was GREAT in District 9, I still think a lot of people would have been like "Sharlto Copley"... who the hell is that if they tried to market him heavily.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
which is why they probably ignored it. Copley will get his due, and even though he was GREAT in District 9, I still think a lot of people would have been like "Sharlto Copley"... who the hell is that if they tried to market him heavily.

District 9 was an unexpected hit and people know the name, especially the audience of the A-Team.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

thoughts?

I think a lot of people shared the sentiment that it would flop as soon as the movie was announced and weren't willing to give it a fair shake even if they actually did watch it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
District 9 was an unexpected hit and people know the name, especially the audience of the A-Team.

i think you mistake the industry for the people of America. Even though District 9 was an unexpected hit, it only grossed 100 million bucks and as evidenced by Madcard, who's a big movie fan, even he didn't know Sharlto's name. I think most cinefiles in LA do because we're like sponges out here for our biz, but I don't think peeps in flyover country would have a clue if you asked them who Sharlto Copley.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I meant the name "District 9", not Copley's name.

ah, didn't see this... but even still, just throwing out "some dude" from District 9 in advertising isn't really gonna draw people in because I believe that movie succeeded based on concept more than anything else... even though Copley was great in it.

I just don't think he's big enough, nor was District 9 enough of a monster smash (100 million is nice, especially for a 30 million dollar flick, but it wasn't like it was a movie that everyone and their mother saw).

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
ah, didn't see this... but even still, just throwing out "some dude" from District 9 in advertising isn't really gonna draw people in because I believe that movie succeeded based on concept more than anything else... even though Copley was great in it.

I just don't think he's big enough, nor was District 9 enough of a monster smash (100 million is nice, especially for a 30 million dollar flick, but it wasn't like it was a movie that everyone and their mother saw).

Well, that's why I didn't claim that would have been the thing that made the move make more money. There were other ways to market the movie, that's all I meant.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Funny thread. There's some good stuff on page 1.

I loved the tv show. The movie was decent, but I would have liked more interaction between the characters and less over-the-top action. My favorite part of the tv show was B.A.'s interaction with Murdock. I was a little worried about the casting, but they really pulled it off.

They set it up for a sequel, but I haven't heard anything yet. Anyone else?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard