A quick retrospective.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think us and most of baseball feel the Dbacks are in for a lean season... and looking back, it's really sad that we're here.

We had the Towers Dbacks, who pissed away a lush farm system on mid tier "talent" with supposedly bargain contracts that almost all became worthless.

Then came the LaRussa/Stewart Dbacks, a team (by virtue of new TV money) with more financial resources than any we'd had in ages... but they piddled that money away so egregiously that it essentially cost us Pollock, Goldy and Corbin.

For reference...

Grienke and Tomas are owed just over 45 million this season.

Goldy, Corbin and Pollock will combine to make less than 40 mil this year.

Ouch.

We've got very little high level talent and a low rated farm system.

From what should have been a nearly decade long run solid baseball we managed a couple decent years, several terrible ones and have come out the other side a total mess.

I hope Hazen is shown patience though, I like what I've seen of him.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think us and most of baseball feel the Dbacks are in for a lean season... and looking back, it's really sad that we're here.

We had the Towers Dbacks, who pissed away a lush farm system on mid tier "talent" with supposedly bargain contracts that almost all became worthless.

Then came the LaRussa/Stewart Dbacks, a team (by virtue of new TV money) with more financial resources than any we'd had in ages... but they piddled that money away so egregiously that it essentially cost us Pollock, Goldy and Corbin.

For reference...

Grienke and Tomas are owed just over 45 million this season.

Goldy, Corbin and Pollock will combine to make less than 40 mil this year.

Ouch.

We've got very little high level talent and a low rated farm system.

From what should have been a nearly decade long run solid baseball we managed a couple decent years, several terrible ones and have come out the other side a total mess.

I hope Hazen is shown patience though, I like what I've seen of him.

We actually look to be turning it around a little on the farm, we have a few kids that could be in the big leagues in the next 3 years if they continue to develop as they have plus the 8 picks ARZ has in first 100 in this year's draft should help build it up for the future if Hazen and the scouting department can take advantage of this hand they were dealt.

ARZ has always been a small market team despite being in one of the larger markets in the country because they haven't been able to consistently develop talent (bad draft picks and dealing away good prospects who develop elsewhere). Combine that with bad signings and its easy to understand why the fan base loses interest and attendance numbers continue to drop. It will be a major surprise if this team goes above .500 this season, but if they are really bad at the deadline they need to do what SD did a few years ago which led them to the #1 farm system in baseball and trade some of their attractive pieces and add to their farm with trade prospects.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We actually look to be turning it around a little on the farm, we have a few kids that could be in the big leagues in the next 3 years if they continue to develop as they have plus the 8 picks ARZ has in first 100 in this year's draft should help build it up for the future if Hazen and the scouting department can take advantage of this hand they were dealt.

ARZ has always been a small market team despite being in one of the larger markets in the country because they haven't been able to consistently develop talent (bad draft picks and dealing away good prospects who develop elsewhere). Combine that with bad signings and its easy to understand why the fan base loses interest and attendance numbers continue to drop. It will be a major surprise if this team goes above .500 this season, but if they are really bad at the deadline they need to do what SD did a few years ago which led them to the #1 farm system in baseball and trade some of their attractive pieces and add to their farm with trade prospects.

Attendance numbers have been pretty dang consistent since 2005. The Diamondbacks seem to be caught in no mans land between small- and big-market team. Losing Goldy hurts since he was a player casual fans gravitated towards.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Attendance numbers have been pretty dang consistent since 2005. The Diamondbacks seem to be caught in no mans land between small- and big-market team. Losing Goldy hurts since he was a player casual fans gravitated towards.
Ok, attendance is consistently low.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson