A look back at the Upton trade after 2 years...

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
San Diego signed Upton with expectations of making a run. If we could of kept Upton around at Goldy's price, he'd still be here. But he's cashing in on his talent, and every team he's been on has under-achieved. Don't care what his stats are, all I know is he's never appeared to care about taking his game to the level he was capable of, and each team he's been on, was hoping for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He's been on more successful teams than Goldy has ever been on including here in AZ where he was the main contributor.

Avondale Red Rage

Just wondering...
Reaction score
Not much we can do about 2007, and Goldschmidt was his teammate in the other 2. Got any other teams Upton's been on that were considered successful? I'm guessing that's a trick question though, as your valued perspective in the annals of. MLB wouldn't match this old fools definition of success.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not much we can do about 2007, and Goldschmidt was his teammate in the other 2. Got any other teams Upton's been on that were considered successful? I'm guessing that's a trick question though, as your valued perspective in the annals of. MLB wouldn't match this old fools definition of success.

lol, and what do you measure the success of the Diamondbacks to have been the last 3 years? And please, explain how the cascade idiotic moves that led to us relying on the performance of players like Prado, Trumbo and Ross and nothing to do with it.

And Upton and Goldy were not teammates in 2013.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Considering 2013 was with ATL, I'd think Goldy wasn't a team mate, but I'll defer to your obvious wisdom there.

This is kinda like when Mizzou fan, who have never seen a FF in the history of their program, make fun of us KU fans for Not winning a national championship.

Avondale Red Rage

Just wondering...
Reaction score
I've been getting better at thinking before I post, until that last one (told you I was an old fool). The Upton argument will forever be one that can't be won amongst fans. I'm on the side of was glad to see him go. He's on his 3rd team now post-Dbacks, and each time he's been acquired as a piece that will get them to the promise land, and it hasn't happened.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've been getting better at thinking before I post, until that last one (told you I was an old fool). The Upton argument will forever be one that can't be won amongst fans. I'm on the side of was glad to see him go. He's on his 3rd team now post-Dbacks, and each time he's been acquired as a piece that will get them to the promise land, and it hasn't happened.

...and yet, he's been less of a failure in doing that than Goldy has been.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Being glad to see him go and not recognizing that the trade in which we sent him away was a train wreck are separate issues.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Being glad to see him go and not recognizing that the trade in which we sent him away was a train wreck are separate issues.

We'll just have to understand that we'll never see eye-to-eye on the characterization of the Upton trade. "Train Wreck" seems, to me, incredibly overly dramatized. Now, the Shelby Miller? Yea... that has all the makings of a head-on collision of the epic proportions... :mad:

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We'll just have to understand that we'll never see eye-to-eye on the characterization of the Upton trade. "Train Wreck" seems, to me, incredibly overly dramatized. Now, the Shelby Miller? Yea... that has all the makings of a head-on collision of the epic proportions... :mad:

Why? Three years from now we could have another SP instead of Miller and what did it hurt? You can't count on prospects anyways is what we are told.

So what if the next three years we are an act to below avg team. Same as it ever was.

That's what Phrazbit and I are trying to convey, the process is toxic and creates poor trades. The only excuse for the Upton one in particular is "Well I didn't like him".

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Why? Three years from now we could have another SP instead of Miller and what did it hurt? You can't count on prospects anyways is what we are told.

So what if the next three years we are an act to below avg team. Same as it ever was.

We traded AWAY young talent for Miller. In the Upton deal, we traded away 2 "youngish" players to GET younger talent. Different context...

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Upton trade made us older. Pretending Prado was not the centerpiece is revisionist history.

And again, if you want to play the "I'm looking at the long-term" card, and you also have to factor all the stupid crap they did in the aftermath of the trade's obvious failure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort