1 BLK PG
1.8 TO PG

Anthony Davis Rookie Stats
13.5 PPG
8.2 RPG
1 APG
1.8 BLK PG
1.4 TO PG

Outside of blocks by .8 he is putting up better numbers than Davis did in 64 Games

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ayton is currently averaging:
16.3 PPG
10.6 RPG
2.1 APG
1 BLK PG
1.8 TO PG

13.5 PPG
8.2 RPG
1 APG
1.8 BLK PG
1.4 TO PG

Outside of blocks by .8 he is putting up better numbers than Davis did in 64 Games

I think he's criminally underrated at this point. Likely a combination of the Doncic hype and the Suns being so bad. His future looks very, very bright.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
If he doesn't show real improvement next year I will start to worry a little bit, but it is obviously way too early to start panicking over Ayton. If anything his numbers should have us encouraged about his future.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Ayton is a mild mannered 20 year old kid from the Bahamas, he's putting up these numbers as a rookie dispite very little aggression and selfishness, those are his weaknesses for the most part, he gets a fire lit under him and has a point guard he's going to be a perennial all-star. The sun's have their center of the future I'm not worried about that, I'm worried about the rest of the positions on the team

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't really worry about Ayton having the talent to get better. my worry is if we have the coaching staff to facilitate that. I haven't seen much growth over his first season. He came in with enough natural talent to average 16/10 right off the bat... and that's exactly where he still is, while not getting better at rolling to the basket, adding any low-post moves, knowing how to position himself on offense or be a good weak side defender on D.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't really worry about Ayton having the talent to get better. my worry is if we have the coaching staff to facilitate that. I haven't seen much growth over his first season. He came in with enough natural talent to average 16/10 right off the bat... and that's exactly where he still is, while not getting better at rolling to the basket, adding any low-post moves, knowing how to position himself on offense or be a good weak side defender on D.

Yep. We were never great at developing anyone. The only players that we drafted and kept long term are Amare, Marion. Now this new group of young guys we have, the verdict is still out on them.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. We were never great at developing anyone. The only players that we drafted and kept long term are Amare, Marion. Now this new group of young guys we have, the verdict is still out on them.

I don't know. Booker's developed pretty damn well offensively over the course of his career so far. defensively, is another story.

but Jackson? Eh. Bridges? so far, he looks exactly like he did at the beginning of the season. Bender... hahahahaha!

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This. We need the right coaching staff around him. We need the right kind of players around him. We have seen time and time again in the NBA when the combination is right young players can take off.

This kid is not done improving and with these numbers? I am really excited about how good he can become when the light clicks.

Just wait until he realizes that night in and night out most people can't stop him around the rim. If that light every goes "on". Watch out!

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I think that at this point it is a foregone conclusion that we do not have the coaching staff to facilitate anything positive.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This. We need the right coaching staff around him. We need the right kind of players around him. We have seen time and time again in the NBA when the combination is right young players can take off.

This kid is not done improving and with these numbers? I am really excited about how good he can become when the light clicks.

Just wait until he realizes that night in and night out most people can't stop him around the rim. If that light every goes "on". Watch out!

He needs a much better and proactive coach on hand for that even to be a possibility.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't know. Booker's developed pretty damn well offensively over the course of his career so far. defensively, is another story.

but Jackson? Eh. Bridges? so far, he looks exactly like he did at the beginning of the season. Bender... hahahahaha!

I tend to agree, however, I would say Bridges defense as exponentially improved and over the past few games his shot has started to come around too...

Overall I think Bridges is just under Booker/Ayton as far as future assets are concerned..

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Ayton is currently averaging:
16.3 PPG
10.6 RPG
2.1 APG
1 BLK PG
1.8 TO PG

13.5 PPG
8.2 RPG
1 APG
1.8 BLK PG
1.4 TO PG

Davis was almost a half a steal/game and a block/game better. And even though he had to get stronger his defense was better.

I’m not disagreeing with you. Ayton’s numbers have been fantastic this year. But the glamor stats (pts, rebs, assts) don’t that whole story.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Davis was almost a half a steal/game and a block/game better. And even though he had to get stronger his defense was better.

I’m not disagreeing with you. Ayton’s numbers have been fantastic this year. But the glamor stats (pts, rebs, assts) don’t that whole story.
Agreed..... the whole story reveals that JJJ & Luka have so far, been better IMO.

Now all of this can change but his defense is still so horribly bad. Coaching or not..... He doesn't even have the instincts to play the position correctly. Sitting in DC watching that backup retread center almost score 30.... meanwhile Beal is rarely challenged when around the bucket.

The kid can put up stats. But as of now..... they are tragically empty.

Plus.... As I have said since before the draft....... The NBA is moving far away from the days of a dominant low post scorer. We need transcendent ball handlers.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

Is one block per game and one steal every two games a difference maker to a ball club?

Especially with a Head Coach who encourages his star Center to play far from the basket on offense and not take a chance of fouling on defense.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Two different games and body types at the same age. Everyone knew AD wasn’t going to post big numbers his rookie year. He averaged 14 ppg in college but was a generational talent based on his defensive potential.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Is one block per game and one steal every two games a difference maker to a ball club?

Especially with a Head Coach who encourages his star Center to play far from the basket on offense and not take a chance of fouling on defense.
When the one block per game is double the rate of the other guy, yeah it is because he becomes a deterrent and it’s an indicator of things to come. Where is davis’ block rate now? You think ayton’s will increase at the same rate? Not a chance in hell. I can’t believe you’re arguing about defense when comparing Davis to Ayton, even as rookies.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Two different games and body types at the same age. Everyone knew AD wasn’t going to post big numbers his rookie year. He averaged 14 ppg in college but was a generational talent based on his defensive potential.
This. Iirc, Davis was a defensive monster at Kentucky and there many that thought the worst case scenario for him would be to end up a top 3 best defensive player of all time even without providing anything on the offens end.

For Ayton, defense was a major issue in college as well.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I’m not as concerned about Ayton offensive stats or defensive stats as I am about his motor.

There are not many NBA players who came into the league as rookies with a bad motor and then improved on that aspect of their game. Imo it’s a thing that you either have or don’t have and not something you can necessarily work on.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When the one block per game is double the rate of the other guy, yeah it is because he becomes a deterrent and it’s an indicator of things to come. Where is davis’ block rate now? You think ayton’s will increase at the same rate? Not a chance in hell. I can’t believe you’re arguing about defense when comparing Davis to Ayton, even as rookies.

Let’s not overreact the other way either. One, altered shots don’t show up in the block column. The last few games I have seen several he has caused. Second I believe he can get to at least 1.5 which would put him close to the top 10 to 12 in the league.

Don’t get me wrong. I think he is underachieving for his size but he doesn’t need to double it to be effective.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
His free throw rate is pretty low.

I think a lot of that is NBA refs not giving rookies calls... also not giving bad teams calls... also that our players suck at getting Ayton the ball with his momentum moving forwards. IMO, when we get someone who can pass and when the refs start giving him respect, his FTA will go up. Look at the rookie years of a lot of elite bigs compared to their 2nd year, the free throw rate nearly doubles.

There are a few plays a night where he gets an offensive board or gathers low at the basket and gets pummeled for it, rarely getting a call and it either resulting in a miss or turnover. I suspect that he will start getting those calls in his favor as he gets more respect and, also, as he gets more skilled he will realize he has the strength and jumping power to go straight up over most players and not bother to gather so much.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m not as concerned about Ayton offensive stats or defensive stats as I am about his motor.

There are not many NBA players who came into the league as rookies with a bad motor and then improved on that aspect of their game. Imo it’s a thing that you either have or don’t have and not something you can necessarily work on.

I agree that motor is something that is hard to teach, I also strongly disagree that Ayton has a bad motor. You don't average a double double as a rookie with a bad motor. IMO, the percieved "bad motor" will completely vanish once we have a few players who know how to get him involved beyond using him as bait on a pick and roll.

That drives me nuts, how often various players on the Suns call Ayton to set a screen for them, he does, and is left with an open jumper or a roll to the hoop... and they ignore it so they can charge recklessly in or fire up a contested shot. They only player who looks for him a decent amount is Booker, but Booker gets way too cute and instead of making a simple pass goes for a no look ally-oop from underneath the basket.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
So much unmerited hand-wringing that goes on about Ayton. He’ll be fine and continue to improve. Of course, it would help to have a point guard and a coach with a brain.

TJ

Reaction score
Agreed..... the whole story reveals that JJJ & Luka have so far, been better IMO.

In what world is JJJ better than Deandre Ayton, or is this just the basketball version of your Kyler Murray argument?

TJ

Reaction score
I agree that motor is something that is hard to teach, I also strongly disagree that Ayton has a bad motor. You don't average a double double as a rookie with a bad motor. IMO, the percieved "bad motor" will completely vanish once we have a few players who know how to get him involved beyond using him as bait on a pick and roll.

That drives me nuts, how often various players on the Suns call Ayton to set a screen for them, he does, and is left with an open jumper or a roll to the hoop... and they ignore it so they can charge recklessly in or fire up a contested shot. They only player who looks for him a decent amount is Booker, but Booker gets way too cute and instead of making a simple pass goes for a no look ally-oop from underneath the basket.

This. The whole “ go set three picks and catch my my missed shot” offense shows that he’s not utilized properly. I think in a typical PnR offense, Ayton would easily be a 25/12 guy this season. The way he’s being used is complete lunacy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA