A Brief Dip in the Pools

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Looking at the draft prospect pools, how do they stand? Overall thankfully this is a great draft. It has more deep pools than any recent draft with a few notable exceptions. Here’s the bad news. Teams looking for a franchise QB are out of luck. There are some decent ones, but no sure things. The Cards, needing interior DL help, are also out of luck there. I’ll post something about the options but a team drafting low will need real luck to fill a slot. Mediocre groups include running backs, safeties and the nearly extinct fullbacks. The remaining pools are strong but with limits. Wide receivers and tackles are deeper but not as strong at the top as last season. Corners are deeper, being one of the deepest pools in recent memory. The same could be said of edge rushers, though as is usual the top few are elite. This group will contain some surprises. Also of interest is the tight end group. The fact that some offenses do not have a big role for this position may mean useful players pop up in round 3. Inside offensive linemen typically benefit from deep tackle pools. There are a few quality true guards also. Centers are typically not a deep group, but you can often get lucky in later rounds. The Cards need a great deal of help and with a little luck and good scouting, this draft will provide that help.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking at the draft prospect pools, how do they stand? Overall thankfully this is a great draft. It has more deep pools than any recent draft with a few notable exceptions. Here’s the bad news. Teams looking for a franchise QB are out of luck. There are some decent ones, but no sure things. The Cards, needing interior DL help, are also out of luck there. I’ll post something about the options but a team drafting low will need real luck to fill a slot. Mediocre groups include running backs, safeties and the nearly extinct fullbacks. The remaining pools are strong but with limits. Wide receivers and tackles are deeper but not as strong at the top as last season. Corners are deeper, being one of the deepest pools in recent memory. The same could be said of edge rushers, though as is usual the top few are elite. This group will contain some surprises. Also of interest is the tight end group. The fact that some offenses do not have a big role for this position may mean useful players pop up in round 3. Inside offensive linemen typically benefit from deep tackle pools. There are a few quality true guards also. Centers are typically not a deep group, but you can often get lucky in later rounds. The Cards need a great deal of help and with a little luck and good scouting, this draft will provide that help.
Harry what would you think about filling two holes in free agency with a Wr and guard?
Replace Kirk with a guy like Cedric Wilson. I think he’s faster and better than Kirk and probably won’t cost as much. He had 600 yards and 6 td’s playing behind Lamb and Cooper.
I’d like to fill a guard spot with experience and not count on Keim drafting one of his “ hidden gems”. How about Mike Glowinski?

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Glowinski is stready & durable. He doesn’t dominate, but he’s dependable. Certainly better that Garcia. I like Ben Jones. While he’s playing center he‘s a solid guard and provides some badly needed backup at center. cordarrelle Patterson is a player whose just breaking out. He’d take away the pain of losing Edmonds plus provide a serious threat at WR. His flexibility is a huge asset. He can also return kicks. If you’re looking for a clutch 3rd down guy in the slot Crowder has a solid, yet invisible year with the Jets. He should be a bargain. If Wilson can stay healthy he’d likely be a bargain. He’s another player who developed late and looks more lately like the threat he appeared to be in college.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Glowinski is stready & durable. He doesn’t dominate, but he’s dependable. Certainly better that Garcia. I like Ben Jones. While he’s playing center he‘s a solid guard and provides some badly needed backup at center. cordarrelle Patterson is a player whose just breaking out. He’d take away the pain of losing Edmonds plus provide a serious threat at WR. His flexibility is a huge asset. He can also return kicks. If you’re looking for a clutch 3rd down guy in the slot Crowder has a solid, yet invisible year with the Jets. He should be a bargain. If Wilson can stay healthy he’d likely be a bargain. He’s another player who developed late and looks more lately like the threat he appeared to be in college.
Patterson is an intriguing name . . .

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn’t know Patterson was a free agent.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Patterson is 30. If he's a RB he's old although i realize he hasn't played it forever, he's got a long history of injuries because of the way he plays. Good player but not sure you can expect him to last a full season

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Got to build from the trenches out. Have to protect your QB and get to there’s. IMO that is paramount for next year.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose