98.7 finally gets a clue after the Carr extension

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
98.7 today "Well after Carr got 45 million a year, every quarterback is getting 40 million plus a year. That's the going rate. What are the Cardinals waiting for in signing Murray? The price tag keeps going up"

Who could have seen this cost inflation at the start of the off season and wrote a detailed financial risk analysis about the market? Oh right that was me and it is EXACTLY as I predicted.

Our dipsh!t yes man GM needs better guys working for him. This was layman obvious.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think Bidwill is not sure about Murray's long term future. I mean it may not sit well but Murray is under control for 2 years and there is always franchise tag afterwards. It will be interesting to see how BAL handles the Lamar Jackson deal.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Carr hasn't got 45 mil a year though.

It's really a $35m a year deal. While it add's 3 years it pushes some of this years money into next the next 3 years and Carr will earn $141m total over the next 4 years.

It only has $40m in guarantees, of which only $25m is guaranteed at signing, and the Raiders have an out every single year. They can get out next year for only $5.6m dead money which drops nearly 50% every subsequent year.

It's a very weak contract for Carr and doesn't hurt the cards position at all. If anything it helps.

In regards to the "Cards should have extended Kyler already", I think that's nonsense. There is a big difference between extending a vet QB like Carr or Stafford and agreeing the first none rookie contract. Rookie deals are structured largely by the CBA, the only major bargaining point is how the money is received and when. Vets like Stafford and Carr are rolling over much of the fine print from their previous deals and only focusing on new money. They get done much quicker.

That first post rookie deal has far more details to negotiate. Which is why of all post rookie deal QB contracts the very earliest any of them have been done is July for Mahomes. Some as late as August for Watson.

You think the Chiefs, Bills or Texans were just chilling in the offseason and not bothered about their star QB's new contract? Why would anyone thing the cards should have it done by now when it's never been done by this point before for any QB?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I think Bidwill is not sure about Murray's long term future. I mean it may not sit well but Murray is under control for 2 years and there is always franchise tag afterwards. It will be interesting to see how BAL handles the Lamar Jackson deal.
Exactly. We are in no rush, or shouldn't be.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Exactly. We are in no rush, or shouldn't be.

If Kyler hadn't thrown his very early paddy then nobody would be talking about this and we would all just expect it to be done some time in mid Summer at the earliest.

Stout

Reaction score
If Kyler hadn't thrown his very early paddy then nobody would be talking about this and we would all just expect it to be done some time in mid Summer at the earliest.
Mm, I'd still want us to wait. As bullish as I was well into the season, KM soured me on him quite a bit. He has all the physical tools but might not have the head or heart. We'd be intelligent to wait and find out. I mean, look at Cleveland and Baker Mayfield. How would Cleveland fans have liked it if they tied him down to a mega-deal before last season?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mm, I'd still want us to wait. As bullish as I was well into the season, KM soured me on him quite a bit. He has all the physical tools but might not have the head or heart. We'd be intelligent to wait and find out. I mean, look at Cleveland and Baker Mayfield. How would Cleveland fans have liked it if they tied him down to a mega-deal before last season?

Sure, what I meant was nobody would be saying "Why haven't we done Kyler's deal yet" or "We should have done Kyler's deal already before X, Y and Z reset the market".

It's only become a thing because of Kyler's petty demands and neither fans or the FO should let that change how they behave.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Difference is a lot of people acknowledged Baker held back a rather stacked team on paper from their full potential. This isn’t a similar scenario.

Stout

Reaction score
Sure, what I meant was nobody would be saying "Why haven't we done Kyler's deal yet" or "We should have done Kyler's deal already before X, Y and Z reset the market".

It's only become a thing because of Kyler's petty demands and neither fans or the FO should let that change how they behave.
I get you. I'd definitely be one of the dissenting voices, but I get you.

Stout

Reaction score
Difference is a lot of people acknowledged Baker held back a rather stacked team on paper from their full potential. This isn’t a similar scenario.
True, we didn't have a stacked team. Also true that KM is more talented than Baker. What also might be true is that he may not ever accomplish more than Baker. If he doesn't get his head right, he's going nowhere and fast. In that respect, where a team isn't sure they have the long-term answer and want the QB to play and show them he is, the scenario is quite similar.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
True, we didn't have a stacked team. Also true that KM is more talented than Baker. What also might be true is that he may not ever accomplish more than Baker. If he doesn't get his head right, he's going nowhere and fast. In that respect, where a team isn't sure they have the long-term answer and want the QB to play and show them he is, the scenario is quite similar.
I really don’t want or like this FO making that decision.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

There isn't a huge difference between 3rd year baker and 3rd year Kyler. The main difference is completion percentage of 62.8 for baker vs 69.2 for Kyler but then Kliff's scheme has a lot of designed short pass plays. Kyler had a 7.8 Adot vs 8.5 for Baker.

But otherwise (Baker left vs Kyler right)

YPG 222.7 vs 248.2 (Brown's are a heavy running team).
TDs 26 vs 26
INTs 8 vs 10
YPA 7.3 vs 7.1
Passer rating 96 vs 100.6
QBR 65.5 vs 61.9
Sacks 26 vs 27
Record 11-5 vs 9-5

But Baker managed to beat the Steelers in his first playoff game with a 3 TD 115 passer rating game.

Kyler is better, but there isn't a big difference between year 3 Baker and year 3 Kyler. I think your comparison holds water.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I think Bidwill is not sure about Murray's long term future.
on 98.7, Mike B said that QB extensions are complex and usually get done in the summer

sure sounded to me like he expected a deal by this summer

if he had no intention of doing that, no way he talks about this summer

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It takes two to tango, though. The Cards may have wanted to get under a booming market and Kyler may not have wanted to play ball. Surely the agents could foresee the boom in salaries coming.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I'm in the wait and see camp with Murray. Yes, it may cost a little more down the road however the reverse side of this is if you extend him now and he doesn't get any better, you're saddled with a large dead cap hit because you know Murray is going to be asking for a large guaranteed figure and even if you trade him down the road his contract is going to be a problem. I'd rather pay a little more latter and ensure I'm getting quality over paying a bit less now and ending up with a lemon.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
on 98.7, Mike B said that QB extensions are complex and usually get done in the summer

sure sounded to me like he expected a deal by this summer

if he had no intention of doing that, no way he talks about this summer
I'm sure he is waiting to see what happens with Jackson and BAL. Key word is he said "usually", if Kyler demands a fully guaranteed deal (which wouldn't surprise me) then ARZ may balk.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Was there ever a thread you couldn't turn into a rant at Keim?
1. This thread includes Keim in the original post.

2. If it annoys you, you can put me on ignore like *you said* you were gonna do when you got tired of the bitterness. I invite you to.

tnmike

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
98.7 today "Well after Carr got 45 million a year, every quarterback is getting 40 million plus a year. That's the going rate. What are the Cardinals waiting for in signing Murray? The price tag keeps going up"

Who could have seen this cost inflation at the start of the off season and wrote a detailed financial risk analysis about the market? Oh right that was me and it is EXACTLY as I predicted.

Our dipsh!t yes man GM needs better guys working for him. This was layman obvious.
I think Mr. Bidwill will pay who he wants to when he wants to and I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's hard to ignore the elephant in the room.

In regards to Murray's extension Keim has done absolutely nothing wrong. We have no idea what's going on behind closed doors and it's completely normal for a deal like this not to get done until July at least.

The Keim beef on this topic is fabricated outrage just to have another pop at him.