$500 riding on saints game

wembley88

A Grand Old Team
Reaction score
Have bet the spreads on the Rams, Cards, 49ers games on an accumulator. Need the saints to win by 4+ tonight.....

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sigh, English. You sick puppy. Betting on the outcome between two losers. You are British or have no life.

OP
OP
wembley88

wembley88

A Grand Old Team
Reaction score
Imagine calling a Scotsman, English. A knife to the soul Skkorp!

But you're bang on, I don't.

Beginners luck, that was my first lot of NFL bets.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Wembley, when I was in Scotland this June, I was playing golf at Turnberry and my caddie was very hard for me to understand and I jokingly said to him "damnit Willy, speak English" and he replied " I canna Sirrrrr, I'm Scottish"

OP
OP
wembley88

wembley88

A Grand Old Team
Reaction score
Wembley, when I was in Scotland this June, I was playing golf at Turnberry and my caddie was very hard for me to understand and I jokingly said to him "damnit Willy, speak English" and he replied " I canna Sirrrrr, I'm Scottish"

Beautiful

There's no better golf course in the UK as far as im concerned than turnberry

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beautiful

There's no better golf course in the UK as far as im concerned than turnberry

My wife and I fell in love with the place...I'd still be there if I had time and money.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Based on what I saw on TV last night - NO played at a New England near-perfect level - lotsa luck.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Forgive me, please. As someone who went to high school (we called it college) in Dublin, Ireland, I am fully embarrassed by the depth of my unintended insult.

Back then, 1965 through 1969, we gleefully swapped Paddy the Irishman, Paddy the Englishman and Paddy the Scotsman jokes, where the Englishman always ended up being the fool.

Is that still done, or have younger generations moved on to newer ways to mock the British?

PS. I pray nidan skips this thread.

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I routinely saw posters, wall art, graffiti that supported independence for Scotland everywhere I went. Nothing radical or overt in the streets, but it was a thought that seemed to be widely supported by the people of Scotland. Being a foreigner, I really had no way of telling for sure. btw, no 'ugly American' stuff. I was treated with respect everywhere I went. (the exchange rate was brutal---$7 for a gallon of gas)

OP
OP
wembley88

wembley88

A Grand Old Team
Reaction score
Forgive me, please. As someone who went to high school (we called it college) in Dublin, Ireland, I am fully embarrassed by the depth of my unintended insult.

Back then, 1965 through 1969, we gleefully swapped Paddy the Irishman, Paddy the Englishman and Paddy the Scotsman jokes, where the Englishman always ended up being the fool.

Is that still done, or have younger generations moved on to newer ways to mock the British?

PS. I pray nidan skips this thread.

The irish jokes have died out no doubt because they have built a tiger economy the envy of the rest of europe. Us jocks and english are still game!

OP
OP
wembley88

wembley88

A Grand Old Team
Reaction score
I routinely saw posters, wall art, graffiti that supported independence for Scotland everywhere I went. Nothing radical or overt in the streets, but it was a thought that seemed to be widely supported by the people of Scotland. Being a foreigner, I really had no way of telling for sure. btw, no 'ugly American' stuff. I was treated with respect everywhere I went. (the exchange rate was brutal---$7 for a gallon of gas)

it's a 50:50 split here on the independence thing. 50% want it, 50% dont really see the point - not that they feel british or anything over being scottish.

Americans are always welcome here. Even the loud ones. :)

Last edited:

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wembley, I know this thread is off topic anyway but I wanted to add one more thing.

TV sports in Scotland is horrific. Cricket, darts, soccer and rugby.

After a week or so I got the hang of Rugby, its not too bad(the All Blacks are tough)

Darts-are you kidding me???

Cricket was absolutely mind boggling. Couldn't figure it out at all. I decided that the only thing worse than cricket on TV was the 'Cricket post game show' . LOL

Last edited:
OP
OP
wembley88

wembley88

A Grand Old Team
Reaction score
Wembley, I know this thread is off topic anyway but I wanted to add one more thing.

After a week or so I got the hang of Rugby, its not too bad(the All Blacks are tough)

Cricket was absolutely mind boggling. Couldn't figure it out at all. I decided that the only thing worse than cricket on TV was the 'Cricket post game show' . LOL

Horrific? what could be better than watching Celtic (badge as avatar) winning the league every year? :)

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Rugby is awesome. It is actually really big in my area. I am planning on playing in a rec league next year. I wish I had went to a HS that offered it.

I agree on the darts thing.

My Pakistani neighboors like to get drunk and play cricket every night in their back yard. Sometimes I go play with them. It is actually pretty fun. I doubt I could sit and watch it on the tube though.

NuttinButTDs

Registered
Reaction score

The first international cricket game was played between USA and Canada. Prior to the civil war, cricket was the primary game here. Played in 1844, a large crowd, around 5000, was present on the first day and, as was customary, betting was to the fore. It is estimated that as much as $100,000 was bet on the match, close to $2 million in modern money.

Cricket was by far the biggest sport [in the USA] in this period," Tim Lockley, an expert in American history at Warwick University, told the Guardian in 1999. "Then the civil war started in 1861, just when it was reaching its peak of popularity. The sport became a victim of that war

I love the game.