34 million Who gets what!!

football24/7

Registered
Reaction score
Subtract approx. 4 million for the rookie pool, and that leaves the Cards with 30 million to spend. Please list the players who you want to sign from other teams, and also list current Cardinals who you wish to re-sign. Include salary figures that would total 30 million. We all pretty much agree on guys like Colvin etc... Im more curious on current Cardinals who you want back. Thanks for the input!!

azdeftone

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Frank Sanders for starters give him a fair contract for his service here maybe incentive laden to be safe. But with no Vet wr this could be an ugly year.

Colvin and Okeafor would be nice and if Suggs is still there I would take him also DEFENSE wins CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!!
Maybe Newman if Suggs is gone.

F**k Kwammie he can take his ass somewhere else and Martay also if he doesnt want to be reasonable.

I would sign Jeff Blake out of the Possible FA . Kordell would be a horrible signing!

What ever happened to the Crouch kid??? Heisman??? rams tried to turn him into WR instead of QB cause they already had Qb's. I think he play for Nebraska had a pretty good arm and great mobility.Probally pick him up for CHEAP!!!

Graves needs to be doing his homework and start spending all that money. We have to spend I think at least 60mil of the 70 mil cap. So dont sign stupid deals get a whole bunch of players.

And for god sake please get player that have some experience so we are not fielding a damn college football team. To much YOUTH is not good!

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Originally posted by azdeftone
Frank Sanders for starters give him a fair contract for his service here maybe incentive laden to be safe. But with no Vet wr this could be an ugly year.

Colvin and Okeafor would be nice and if Suggs is still there I would take him also DEFENSE wins CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!!
Maybe Newman if Suggs is gone.

F**k Kwammie he can take his ass somewhere else and Martay also if he doesnt want to be reasonable.

I would sign Jeff Blake out of the Possible FA . Kordell would be a horrible signing!

What ever happened to the Crouch kid??? Heisman??? rams tried to turn him into WR instead of QB cause they already had Qb's. I think he play for Nebraska had a pretty good arm and great mobility.Probally pick him up for CHEAP!!!

Graves needs to be doing his homework and start spending all that money. We have to spend I think at least 60mil of the 70 mil cap. So dont sign stupid deals get a whole bunch of players.

And for god sake please get player that have some experience so we are not fielding a damn college football team. To much YOUTH is not good!

Eric Crouch retired. If we sign colvin and okeafor we will not draft suggs, we would draft andre johnson or Trufant. We have to sign either lassiter, sanders, or jenkins. Lassiter because he would be one of the few veterans on the team plus he is a good safety. Sanders is a good possession guy, and jenkins is a KR. Take your pick one has to resign. Kordell would be a good sign because he has won before and knows how to make plays out of nothing. He would have to do that a lot with our WR's.

AntSports Steve

Cardinals Future GM
Reaction score
The NFL Salary Cap for 2003 is $75.007 million.

That $75M is the players 64.25% share of the total revenue.

2003 64.25% = players share.

Total * 64.25 = 75,007,000, so the actual total revenue is :

75.007 / 64.25 = $116.74 million

Teams must spend a minumim of 56% of that on players which is :

$116.74 million * 56% = $65.374 million.

So, the max the Cards can be under the cap on opening day is $10 million. So of the $34M they have to spend, they have to spend at least $24M.

If they don't, the the players on the team are given the difference directly. I don't know if it's per player or based on salary. It's never happend and better not happen this year.

The Bengals being under by $6M last year was just a crime.

Side note, the Cards spend to the cap every year and with all the injuries, almost spent to the cap last year. I think extending McKinnions and others deal at the end of the year consumed the rest of the cap space.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks AntSports. I knew we HAD to spend a lot of money, I just didn't know how much. So, there's going to be a lot of big contracts signed, it's just a matter of time. Of course, who's going to do the signing is the big question.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Originally posted by azcardsfan1616
Eric Crouch retired. If we sign colvin and okeafor we will not draft suggs, we would draft andre johnson or Trufant. We have to sign either lassiter, sanders, or jenkins. Lassiter because he would be one of the few veterans on the team plus he is a good safety. Sanders is a good possession guy, and jenkins is a KR. Take your pick one has to resign. Kordell would be a good sign because he has won before and knows how to make plays out of nothing. He would have to do that a lot with our WR's.

I think Lassister sort shut the door with his recent comment. I would try and keep Sanders. He is one of the experieced guys we have left.

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of that 30 million will not be doled out and will stay in Bidwill's bank account.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by RedStorm
Most of that 30 million will not be doled out and will stay in Bidwill's bank account
<p>RedStorm----did you read what AntSports Steve said
So, the max the Cards can be under the cap on opening day is $10 million. So of the $34M they have to spend, they have to spend at least $24M.
If they don't, the the players on the team are given the difference directly.
<p>In other words, the money has to go to players, either FA's or the players on the roster. It can't stay in Bidwill's pocket.<p>BTW AntSports Steve---very informative report. Thanks for the information

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
Originally posted by 40yearfan
Originally posted by RedStorm <p>RedStorm----did you read what AntSports Steve said <p>In other words, the money has to go to players, either FA's or the players on the roster. It can't stay in Bidwill's pocket.<p>BTW AntSports Steve---very informative report. Thanks for the information
As I have stated in other posts...I don't believe we will spend anywhere near the full cap...I have thought 65 to 66mil is where they would be...and while I appreciate the Cap info immensly...I dispute that we were at full Cap last yr...Even with the extensions and the injury signings..I don't believe we were with in 5 mil of the 67mil cap. The Cardinals weather we wish to believe it or not always play by the rules and if that means they have to spend to a certain # by league rules that is what they will do nothing more nothing less. That is why we have the youngest team every year. We won't spend getting the FA veterans that eat up cap space...one or two sure but to field an experience team would mean spending to the Cap limit and being creative. It ticks me off that there can be 35% in NFL generated income still in the Cardinal Coffers and they cry poor and don't spend to get a team of veterans on both sides of the ball..:confused:

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by KingofCards
:confused:

This just my opinion. I think that Graves will try to save as much money as possible. He already said it will take a long time to get things right. (Funny, hasn't Graves been around for awhile? Has it not been him doing the contracts??) Also, he has told us to not discount McCown (I read young guys in general).

We will be way under the cap. We will sign our draft picks and get a couple FA's and that will be that. I hope not. Really. I hope we would sign Colvin, Okerfer/Holliday, Jackson, a WR and a QB. I will sing a different tune if that were the case. But I think that Bidwill (Through Graves) will not spend to the limit.

That is just my opinion. And like belly buttons...every has one.

Alan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rats
As I have stated in other posts...I don't believe we will spend anywhere near the full cap...I have thought 65 to 66mil is where they would be...
...and this is based on what? They have always spent nearly the full amount. To believe that they will spend $10 million less than they need to is asinine.

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alan,

I think this year is different. They have a stadium to worry about. That needs cash flow. Graves has already, on more than one occasion said that it will take a LONG TIME to get things right. That we should not discount the young guys like McCown.

Graves says he has a plan but I don't know what it is. All I can do is guess. I say it is to save as much money as possible and build with young talent. Which is cheaper. And that translates into more losses...

JMO

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Yeah, but what Steve just posted show that they can't do that.

If they don't spend the cap, it gets redistributed to the players.

So I don't believe what you are saying is even possible.

Rats

Reaction score
Yeah, but what Steve just posted show that they can't do that.

If they don't spend the cap, it gets redistributed to the players.

So I don't believe what you are saying is even possible.
No...what Steves post is saying is that they have to spend at least 65.5mil of the 75mil cap...that 10mil spread does not go to the players...reread his post...and I still say that the Cards have never ever spent to the Cap #...they have always done only what they had to by league rules...dispute that all you want its the facts. They are not creative with the Cap money...they go young on both sides of the ball because it's cheaper....98 after we won what happened...they gutted the team...and went with young talent...it hasn't worked out...I still think we will bring in players...but not over 65mil because that is all that is required they do...does anyone believe that the Cards spending 10 mil more of the Cap over the 65mil will generate more fans in the stands....get real...the Cards know that they can keep the extra cash from the cap...it won't effect there attendance this year or next and perhaps the yr after...they are simply put businessmen that watch the bottom line...it's just common sense thinking...if we won't get more attendance then why spend it....its the only reason they are considering Emmitt Smith...he would help put people in the seats...if they only signed him and Suggs...they say we would have better attendance than last yr...and thats the way they see it...how hard is that to understand...I think our track record as an organization shows we don't spend to win...and thats what is sad. We will bring in guys and sign a few just so we get to that 65mil #...that means they have to spend 24 mil....they will do this...but not the extra 10mil:thumbup:

Redalert

Reaction score
Originally posted by Rats
No...what Steves post is saying is that they have to spend at least 65.5mil of the 75mil cap...that 10mil spread does not go to the players...reread his post...and I still say that the Cards have never ever spent to the Cap #...they have always done only what they had to by league rules...dispute that all you want its the facts. They are not creative with the Cap money...they go young on both sides of the ball because it's cheaper....98 after we won what happened...they gutted the team...and went with young talent...it hasn't worked out...I still think we will bring in players...but not over 65mil because that is all that is required they do...does anyone believe that the Cards spending 10 mil more of the Cap over the 65mil will generate more fans in the stands....get real...the Cards know that they can keep the extra cash from the cap...it won't effect there attendance this year or next and perhaps the yr after...they are simply put businessmen that watch the bottom line...it's just common sense thinking...if we won't get more attendance then why spend it....its the only reason they are considering Emmitt Smith...he would help put people in the seats...if they only signed him and Suggs...they say we would have better attendance than last yr...and thats the way they see it...how hard is that to understand...I think our track record as an organization shows we don't spend to win...and thats what is sad. We will bring in guys and sign a few just so we get to that 65mil #...that means they have to spend 24 mil....they will do this...but not the extra 10mil:thumbup:

The Cardinals always are 2 million under the cap to protect themselves from the injury bug. The reason they were more than 2 million under the cap last year was to hopefully resign Plummer and Boston. Unfortunately, Plummer had an awful year and Boston was busted for drugs. Bidwill deserves to get bashed for many things, but he always spends up to the cap.

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Originally posted by AntSports Steve

If they don't, the the players on the team are given the difference directly. I don't know if it's per player or based on salary. It's never happend and better not happen this year.

Rats, tell me what part of the above statement did I not read?
?

If they don't spend the cap money it s distributed among the players on the team. :confused:

Maybe YOU need to reread the post. :rolleyes:

Rats

Reaction score
Rats, tell me what part of the above statement did I not read?
?

If they don't spend the cap money it s distributed among the players on the team. :confused:

Maybe YOU need to reread the post. :rolleyes:
Okkkk:( ....I have reread the post...now what Steve says and he can correct me if I am wrong....56% of total revenues have to go to players...by his example that is 65mil or so....the Cap is 10mil more 75mil or so....follow me now....the 10mil more is not required to go to the players...only the 65mil...so in context if they do not spend the cap money only the 56% is distributed. ... So if they spend 62mil...3mil more is distributed to the players....because the club did not hit the required 56% or 65mil...I hope this helps...for those with a tight grip on reality...this is easy...others well...I will just say that because I am a Lifelong Cards fan...does not mean that I must continue to make excuses for this teams...poor performence on and off the field....I demand more...they should demand more and so should you.

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Alright, I knew about the $10 million, I misunderstood you.