2024 Free Agency thread

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure how realistic it is for a team to jump the Cards and take MHJ at #3, but at this point everyone knows the Cards need a WR and covet MHJ, so at the very least the Patriots have to threaten to trade out and try to get something from the Cardinals. Whether the Cards give up a 3rd or call their bluff, or are content to take one of the other WRs (maybe even after with their own trade down with the Giants or Vikings?)... there will be intrigue and second guessing galore if the Cards don't end up with MHJ!
Will there though? With Nabers and Odunze sitting there as consolation? Mehhh

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Here's the problem...Fitz had Boldin his rookie season...Chase had Higgins...and Puka had Kupp...all those dudes had a running mate that helped them their rookie seasons. MHJ will have.......Pascal! That's gonna make it tough sledding for the rook. Cards need another receiver to take the heat off MHJ a bit. Maybe it's Wilson or Dortch, but neither of them has a history of sustained success.
Great point. And Randy Moss had Cris Carter. It helped all those guys have all time great rookie seasons.

Maybe the organization really believes in Michael Wilson to be that running mate. Just remember how disappointing it was to miss those games and then take a few weeks to get back in rhythm. A full offseason with Kyler should help. However, I still kinda like to think of Wilson as our Tyler Boyd at the moment. Not sure we have a Higgins yet.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great point. And Randy Moss had Cris Carter. It helped all those guys have all time great rookie seasons.

Maybe the organization really believes in Michael Wilson to be that running mate. Just remember how disappointing it was to miss those games and then take a few weeks to get back in rhythm. A full offseason with Kyler should help. However, I still kinda like to think of Wilson as our Tyler Boyd at the moment. Not sure we have a Higgins yet.
Well besides Puca… and Hollywood could not be counted on for anything.

AustrianCardFan

Veteran
Reaction score
Not sure how realistic it is for a team to jump the Cards and take MHJ at #3, but at this point everyone knows the Cards need a WR and covet MHJ, so at the very least the Patriots have to threaten to trade out and try to get something from the Cardinals. Whether the Cards give up a 3rd or call their bluff, or are content to take one of the other WRs (maybe even after with their own trade down with the Giants or Vikings?)... there will be intrigue and second guessing galore if the Cards don't end up with MHJ!
In theory yes... but on the other hand: How can the Patriots be sure that we would'nt trade down with a QB needy team in that scenario and the Patriots end up loosing their guy?

Last edited:

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure Puca was killing it the first 6 weeks while Kupp was on IR…. He didn’t need a running mate.
Puka was "killing it" with heavy volume from a top QB. His target share was insane. He had 70 targets in those first six weeks.

It lulled in mid-season when Kupp came back, and stepped up. But feeding a player targets can be misleading.

If MHJ is the talent everyone thinks he is he shouldn’t need a high end side kick to perform.
Separately, I agree.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Brian Thomas Jr has the size of mhj but is way faster, oh and he lead the nation with TD catches. Not really a consolation
Sure, he might end up being the best in the class. Justin Jefferson went in the 20s. But if your gameplan is to take the 4th/5th WR off the board to be your #1, the #2 at his own university, I'm not sure it makes sense.

Right now this team needs talent at receiver, really really bad.

Reactions: PJ1

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there will be intrigue and second guessing galore if the Cards don't end up with MHJ!
Will there though? With Nabers and Odunze sitting there as consolation? Mehhh
Welcome to the board, @Shane! You must be new here.

Personally I don't watch enough college football to have an opinion, other than what I read here and on The Athletic and what I hear on sports radio... so while it seems as though failing to make the moves to ensure getting Harrison Jr. would be a mistake, it also seems as though moving down a couple spots and still getting Odunze would be a perfectly reasonable path through the draft as well.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In theory yes... but on the other hand: How can the Patriots be sure that we would'nt trade down with a QB needy team in that scenario and the Patriots end up loosing their guy?
Exactly... it will be quite the high stakes poker game. Maybe Ossenfort believes that the Patriots aren't really willing to take that risk, and calls their bluff.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I think definitely puts them out on MHJ.

Bears have even more space than us, so taking on $18 million base salary isn't bad for them. He's also in the final year of his deal, so the can extend him and make it more friendly too.

You must be registered for see images attach
Also puts the chargers in on a WR. Let's put away this "trade down a few spots to take a WR if MHJ is gone" nonsense to bed right now.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We’ll definitely take at least 2 WR’s in this draft, but not at 27. 27 will either be a DL, OL, or CB.
This makes a lot of sense. But before the Draft, I think that Arizona will have one more FA signing, either a WR or a CB. And if it's not a WR, I could see the team double dipping at WR in the 1st round. Or certainly in the second, depending on their Board. If they do sign another WR in FA, I don't see them drafting one until the third round. So in my perfect world we:
*Sign another WR.
*Use #27 and the second rounder on an Edge, and OL or DL.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Exactly... it will be quite the high stakes poker game. Maybe Ossenfort believes that the Patriots aren't really willing to take that risk, and calls their bluff.
Not always, but more often than not, teams move up near the top of the Draft to get a QB. Only way NE trades back is that they get Fields in a trade. And that would kill our chances for MHJ, because NE would be able to come away with Fields and Harrison. Then we'd probably have to trade back with a team that wants the third QB. Still (probably) have a shot at Nabers or Odunze, if we don't go back too far.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sure of one thing, speaking for myself. The Draft is GOING TO BE SO MUCH FUN.

Been following the Cardinals' drafts since the early fifties (would use Street and Smith's magazine for info on the Chicago Cardinals picks), and think that this one might be my most enjoyable. Fingers crossed.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure of one thing, speaking for myself. The Draft is GOING TO BE SO MUCH FUN.

Been following the Cardinals' drafts since the early fifties (would use Street and Smith's magazine for info on the Chicago Cardinals picks), and think that this one might be my most enjoyable. Fingers crossed.
Definitely excited and looking forward to the draft

Bring it on!

jbjarko

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Vikings are moving up into the top 3 for a QB. No way Kwesi does this without a deal in place to move up.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
If you're Monti do you take #11 & #23 + one more later pick, to give up #4 to the Vikings?
No. At that point the top 3 WR are gone. We have no legit #1 or #2 on the roster and seem content filling those spots in the draft. It would be nice to have the flexibility to make that move (along with next years first) but we’ve painted ourselves in a corner at the wr position.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I can't see Harbaugh taking a WR that high. OT would be my bet, dude loves the ground game.
It's one thing to love the ground game but you can't hamstring your young QB with absolutely no one to throw to. And Harbaugh may prefer running, but he still only has Gus Edwards. Even if they get Blake Corum, or some other rookie, it's not a strong class. It IS at WR.

Interestingly, in Harbaugh's tenure as the 49ers HC, he never took an offensive lineman in the 1st, but he did take a WR.