2024 Free Agency thread

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I was thinking 1) imagine how even more perennially terrible the franchise would have been without free agency, 2) it is interesting how almost every other AZ front office over the years has focused on building the WR room over the OL.

Remember how Steve Keim's first draft pick was an offensive guard? Remember when he drafted DJ Humphries, whom we just got finished eulogizing like five days ago?

Missing the playoffs this year is pretty unacceptable to me. Seriously. Depending on circumstances with injury, perhaps being eliminated the last week would be kind of ok.

We couldn't ask for a better home schedule. We should go hard at making the playoffs this year

I'm actually fine with having the logo in the "In the Hunt" graphic at Christmas.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
This is fair - although if we added a couple above average players last year, and a couple more this year, we'd be in a better position to make moves.
This isn't how you build a team in the NFL though.

The hit rate for free agents are abysmal. The draft is similar but significantly cheaper with the rookie pay scale.
This is a really slow burn rebuild, and I was hoping that we'd at least add one or two good starters this year, especially after sitting out last offseason.
Just look at last season:

Through the first nine games without Kyler Murray they were 1-8.

With Kyler Murray they were 3-5.

I think the team doesn't go 1-8 to start the year with Kyler Murray. They probably win three of those eight games they lost and finish the year 7-10.

We saw incremental improvements throughout the year and the last part of the season we saw the offense playing much better as the players learned Petzing's system and Murray improved QB play.

Are the Cardinals worse than they were last year? I don't think so. The DL is better. SMB is a better corner than any player they had last year. WR is weaker, but not really by that much because a good chunk of the season Brown was hurt and was a shell of his mediocre self.

For better or worse, this team will be built through the draft, but that's really how most teams are built. You don't really see any playoff team where the core of the team was built through FA, so it's a little silly that we assume that Monti was going to build the team that way.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
This isn't how you build a team in the NFL though.

The hit rate for free agents are abysmal. The draft is similar but significantly cheaper with the rookie pay scale.

Just look at last season:

Through the first nine games without Kyler Murray they were 1-8.

With Kyler Murray they were 3-5.

I think the team doesn't go 1-8 to start the year with Kyler Murray. They probably win three of those eight games they lost and finish the year 7-10.
If you believe we had the personnel to be a 7-10 team last year, and we have the cash, WHY NOT try and put together a legit playoff team this offseason? If you believe Monti will do a great job drafting, then we'll have plenty of good young talent on cheap contracts, along with good FA's!
Are the Cardinals worse than they were last year? I don't think so. The DL is better. SMB is a better corner than any player they had last year. WR is weaker, but not really by that much because a good chunk of the season Brown was hurt and was a shell of his mediocre self.
We're running in place. Yes- the DL should be better, but that's because we were running guys off of the street out there. The bar shouldn't be better than last year, it should be playoff level talent.

Say what you want about Brown, but he's a loss that hasn't been replaced. We're going to be relying on a rookie to replace him, and there are no guarantees with rookie wr's.
For better or worse, this team will be built through the draft, but that's really how most teams are built. You don't really see any playoff team where the core of the team was built through FA, so it's a little silly that we assume that Monti was going to build the team that way.
Once again, and hopefully it sinks in this time...NOBODY is saying build only through FA!!! You can acquire good players via the draft, via free agency, and via trades! It doesn't have to be all one way or the other. Monti has chosen to only use the draft to acquire talent - I think that's a mistake. We'll see if that proves true, but if we're a near playoff team this year and are sitting on money that could have been spent on some actual good NFL players, I think we'll all be disappointed.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Hate to do it after only 2 years but he is only on a 4 year not a 5 and would def be cheaper now than after next year imo. Next year if he continues on This path is gonna be a HUGE contract.
IIRC rookie contracts cannot be extended until after the third season is complete...so we have to wait another year for Trey regardless.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Does that include additional money coming June 1st?

I don't know, but there won't really be relevant free agents available then, anyway.

the last part of the season we saw the offense playing much better

I'll never forget the Week 16 game when the offense playing much better scored 16 points against the Chicago Bears or Week 18 when they scored 20 points at home against a Seahawks team that refired their coach 10 days later.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IIRC rookie contracts cannot be extended until after the third season is complete...so we have to wait another year for Trey regardless.
I think you're right. It was brought up about Prudy being extended now and he can't until next off season.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
If you believe we had the personnel to be a 7-10 team last year, and we have the cash, WHY NOT try and put together a legit playoff team this offseason? If you believe Monti will do a great job drafting, then we'll have plenty of good young talent on cheap contracts, along with good FA's!
Because even if the Cardinals have the cash it's still not smart to blow it on a few free agents. The Raiders went and signed Wilkins and have only signed five other players because they blew their was on one guy...one guy who has mostly been a plus run defender and finally rushed the passer in a contract year.

I initially wanted Wilkins, but my opinion changed when I started to consider: 1) the Cardinals need probably three DL 2) overall improvement from a mid tier DL to Wilkins isn't really all that high.
We're running in place. Yes- the DL should be better, but that's because we were running guys off of the street out there. The bar shouldn't be better than last year, it should be playoff level talent.
I think the Cardinals are about the same but they had A LOT of roster openings to fill. You sign a big free agent and you probably can't fill other openings.
Say what you want about Brown, but he's a loss that hasn't been replaced. We're going to be relying on a rookie to replace him, and there are no guarantees with rookie wr's.
He wasnt really contributing much to begin. I'll change my tune on this issue if the draft doesn't fill the WR position with a player or two. I prefer two WRs, but that could change with a vet being added during the second wave.
Once again, and hopefully it sinks in this time...NOBODY is saying build only through FA!!! You can acquire good players via the draft, via free agency, and via trades!
The Cardinals have added talent. I don't see the problem.
It doesn't have to be all one way or the other. Monti has chosen to only use the draft to acquire talent - I think that's a mistake.
The Cardinals have signed FAs.
We'll see if that proves true, but if we're a near playoff team this year and are sitting on money that could have been spent on some actual good NFL players, I think we'll all be disappointed.
Do you think that this team could be a bear playoff team this year? I don't. I think they can be entertaining, and feisty, but a playoff team expectation is sheer lunacy.

Just look at the Arians turn around again, and you'll see that the team was built through the draft and free agency supplemented draft picks. That the model that works and it's essentially what Mont is doing.

Now he has to hit on picks at a greater rate than Keim.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know, but there won't really be relevant free agents available then, anyway.

That doesn't.

You spend every penny you have up to June 1st, then let the post June 1st money see you through the season and pay for late additions due to injuries.

If you want to use it to sign a player you give him a low year 1 number, and higher year 2 number, then let that money roll over and pay for the year 2 bump.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Because even if the Cardinals have the cash it's still not smart to blow it on a few free agents. The Raiders went and signed Wilkins and have only signed five other players because they blew their was on one guy...one guy who has mostly been a plus run defender and finally rushed the passer in a contract year.
Nobody here was advocating to sign Wilkins - there were lots of other good FA's!
I think the Cardinals are about the same but they had A LOT of roster openings to fill. You sign a big free agent and you probably can't fill other openings.
Based on what? We had enough money to sign a guy like Kendall Fuller with ease (he made 2/up to 16).

You're saying he isn't a better option than Sean Murphy Bunting? There was room to sign Fuller and another above average starter, and punted on the chance.
He wasnt really contributing much to begin. I'll change my tune on this issue if the draft doesn't fill the WR position with a player or two. I prefer two WRs, but that could change with a vet being added during the second wave.
Having a deep threat over the top, (whether the QB can hit him or not) is a benefit. Dortch won't get the same attention.

Do you think that this team could be a bear playoff team this year? I don't. I think they can be entertaining, and feisty, but a playoff team expectation is sheer lunacy.
You literally said they could have been 7-10 last year, but there was NOTHING they could do to get 2-3 more wins between the draft and FA? That is some hilarious stuff.
Just look at the Arians turn around again, and you'll see that the team was built through the draft and free agency supplemented draft picks. That the model that works and it's essentially what Mont is doing.
My dude, they used FA/Trades/the draft to build that team. It wasn't just the draft!

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Nobody here was advocating to sign Wilkins - there were lots of other good FA's!

Based on what? We had enough money to sign a guy like Kendall Fuller with ease (he made 2/up to 16).
Kendall Fuller is nearly 30. Yeah let's sign a guy that won't be playing at a high level on the next playoff team!
You're saying he isn't a better option than Sean Murphy Bunting? There was room to sign Fuller and another above average starter, and punted on the chance.
SMB is the guy low candidate who has a chance to really outplay his contract.
Having a deep threat over the top, (whether the QB can hit him or not) is a benefit. Dortch won't get the same attention.
A historically bad deep threat. @kerouac9 posted his numbers earlier this off season and he was among the worst deep threats in the past 20 years.

I fully expected the Cardinals to resign him because it was the Cardinals thing to do.
You literally said they could have been 7-10 last year, but there was NOTHING they could do to get 2-3 more wins between the draft and FA? That is some hilarious stuff.
They could but it would necessarily be smart too.
My dude, they used FA/Trades/the draft to build that team. It wasn't just the draft!
What big free agent did they sign?

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Monti obviously has a plan and I am willing to see it play out without lighting any torches.
I am uneasy with our current edge and wr situation. Imo a quality FA wr should be acquired before the draft. Trade for our home grown talent, Redick
I would be thrilled with this FA period.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Kendall Fuller is nearly 30. Yeah let's sign a guy that won't be playing at a high level on the next playoff team!
Nearly 30! Might as well sign up for AARP.
SMB is the guy low candidate who has a chance to really outplay his contract.
It won't be very hard for him to improve on last season. I'd rather have Fuller at 2/16 than SMB at 3/18.5. You're paying pennies more for a guy that actually was good in 2023!
A historically bad deep threat. @kerouac9 posted his numbers earlier this off season and he was among the worst deep threats in the past 20 years.
SSS - he had nobody to throw him the ball to start the season, and a Kyler who was unusually bad at deep balls coming back from injury. Something tells me Hollywood has a much better season this year. Regardless, DC's had to account for his speed.
What big free agent did they sign?
The Arians teams added good free agents AND trades, which I've mentioned as an avenue as well several times.

Trades:
CP
Veldheer
Chandler Jones

FA:
Dansby
Abraham
Powers
Cromartie
Chris Johnson
Iupati

They didn't ignore the avenues of FA and trades, and acquired some of our most important pieces via trade.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uncalled for and for what?
how is it uncalled for? He's literally distorting about the opinion of large swaths of the board, injecting a fake argument about how those people think this team should be in the Super Bowl next year. That's uncalled for.

And for what? Well, when I keep pointing out someone is distorting large swaths of the board's opinions, I'm HOPING they'd actually stop doing that. I mean, I know it won't, but it's really disngenuous to distort other posters opinions continually.

if this is about me saying he's "lying"... well, I'll clean up the shorthand... for a board member continually projects specious arguments on those who disagree with him, which as usual here, is a-okay, as long as it's in support of the team.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how is it uncalled for? He's literally distorting about the opinion of large swaths of the board, injecting a fake argument about how those people think this team should be in the Super Bowl next year. That's uncalled for.

And for what? Well, when I keep pointing out someone is distorting large swaths of the board's opinions, I'm HOPING they'd actually stop doing that. I mean, I know it won't, but it's really disngenuous to distort other posters opinions continually.

if this is about me saying he's "lying"... well, I'll clean up the shorthand... for a board member continually projects specious arguments on those who disagree with him, which as usual here, is a-okay, as long as it's in support of the team.
Huh? Where did I do that? I am confused? I stated that was my criteria. I never once said anyone said that.

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Nearly 30! Might as well sign up for AARP.

It won't be very hard for him to improve on last season. I'd rather have Fuller at 2/16 than SMB at 3/18.5. You're paying pennies more for a guy that actually was good in 2023!
Man you don't do any research yourself do you?

Kendall Fuller gave up a 120 QB Rating last year and 8 TDs.

But you know his name so he's better? Hilarious.

SMB gave up a 91.8 QB Rating and two TDs.

Hilarious.
SSS - he had nobody to throw him the ball to start the season, and a Kyler who was unusually bad at deep balls coming back from injury. Something tells me Hollywood has a much better season this year. Regardless, DC's had to account for his speed.
He will have people to throw the ball to.
The Arians teams added good free agents AND trades, which I've mentioned as an avenue as well several times.

Trades:
CP
Veldheer
Chandler Jones
I have no problems with trades, but Veldheer wasn't a trade he was a FA. Kind of a similar signing to bringing in Jonah Williams.
FA:
Dansby
Abraham
Powers
Cromartie
Chris Johnson
Iupati
All older dudes. And how long did either player have an impact?
They didn't ignore the avenues of FA and trades, and acquired some of our most important pieces via trade.
Not saying to ignore, but it's fools good to chase high priced FAs.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Man you don't do any research yourself do you?

Kendall Fuller gave up a 120 QB Rating last year and 8 TDs.

But you know his name so he's better? Hilarious.

SMB gave up a 91.8 QB Rating and two TDs.

Hilarious.
What is hilarious is you saying that SMB is the better player based on incredibly limited stats. PFF had Fuller as an overall 83.1. SMB as a 57.6. I guess they know nothing, along with the GM that paid Fuller more.

I guess all these authors are haters too.

I have no problems with trades, but Veldheer wasn't a trade he was a FA. Kind of a similar signing to bringing in Jonah Williams.
Ok - another good player acquired in another manner outside of the draft! Proving my point for me. Jonah Williams in general isn't an improvement - he's a lateral move from Hump.
Not saying to ignore, but it's fools good to chase high priced FAs.
Once again, nobody is advocating for only acquiring players in FA, but you CAN get good players via trade and FA, and we've chosen not to two years in a row.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
What is hilarious is you saying that SMB is the better player based on incredibly limited stats. PFF had Fuller as an overall 83.1. SMB as a 57.6. I guess they know nothing, along with the GM that paid Fuller more.

I guess all these authors are haters too.

Ok - another good player acquired in another manner outside of the draft! Proving my point for me. Jonah Williams in general isn't an improvement - he's a lateral move from Hump.

Once again, nobody is advocating for only acquiring players in FA, but you CAN get good players via trade and FA, and we've chosen not to two years in a row.
I don't respond when people post PFF.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm somewhat skeptical of "The Patriot Way" at this point...it only worked with Tom Brady at the helm, and there is a lot of people that sold the same mantra that failed spectacularly.
Yeah I'm referring to the initial rebuild process after taking over a team in total disarray:

Year 1: Get Salary cap under control. Fix culture. Find out what you have on the team. Build through the draft.

Year 2: Continue to build through the draft. Add several mid tier FAs. If all goes well, be in contention for a wild card spot.

Year 3: Continue to build through the draft. Add mid tier FAs. If a stud FA fits your team profile, then add and make a run at the SB.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort