2024 Draft Countdown/NFL Prospects thread

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
Wow, I know people are essentialy saying that they don't want to trade down at all unless it's for a preposterous return... but this would be a preposterous return.

Per the Draftek trade value chart, the difference between #4 and #6 is 200 points. The Giants' 3rd rounder, #70, is worth 240... already a premium that teams tend to give up for a QB. A 2025 1st is worth an additional 590 points (based on the #32 pick), which is completely unrealistic.

This is a little more realistic, but the Giants' 2nd round pick at #47 is worth 430 points - a 115% premium over the 200 points in value the Cardinals would be giving up. Maybe reasonable if the Cardinals gave back their late 3rd (140) or 4th (86).

But then as @kerouac9 noted, it's questionable whether the Giants would even want the 4th QB off the board, let alone be willing to give up a "massive haul" for a guy who might just fall to them at #6 anyway.
#1- The giants might have the 4th guy drafted as their #1 QB. There is a wide range of opinions between Maye, Daniels, and apparently McCarthy as to who will be the better pick.

#2- If the Giants wouldnt even be willing to give up #47 to move up...then they can pound sand. They are the ones initiating the move and targeting a specific player. They either pay more...and probably a lot more....than the chart says they should, or they get no deal. No one is moving out of the top 5 for peanuts.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont think there is anyway we get #6 and a 2025 1st rounder from the Giants....which is what would make the deal enticing. I suppose they could give us #47, but it doesnt really move the needle for me, certainly not enough to move off of MHJ and possible lose out on both.

Harry you would know better than I would, but would the Giants basically give the Cards a guarantee they aren't drafting MHJ or Odunze? I know its not official, but it seems like going back on something like that could get you a lot of heat around the league and someone not to deal with in the future.

The thing that makes some of these scenarios more possible is that there seems to be a wide range of opinions on the QBs. While we are looking at it saying, "someone is taking the #4 QB"....they could very well be getting their #1 or #2 guy on their board. My own opinion is Maye, Williams, McCarthy, Daniels....and I know that is vastly different from others.
I'm not Harry but the Giants wouldn't need to do that. If they wanted MHJ/Odunze/Nabers, they would just sit pat at 6 and would get one. The only reason they move up is for a QB.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The Minnesota Vikings were 7-10 last year with Joshua Dobbs starting four games and shadow-tanking the end of the season (1-6 down the home stretch with a 1-4 record in games decided by one point or less).

If they get a legit QB prospect (not McCarthy), why would you think they'd be worse than us next year? Are we going to be bad on purpose again in 2024? Is that what you're anticipating?
Not my flavor but word on the street is they actually like McCarthy.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
My pushback would be that Kyler has struggled to complete deeper passes because the smaller stature of his pass catchers emphasizes his struggles with ball placement. When Kyler was throwing the ball downfield to Hopkins, this wasn't as much of an issue. Marv would likely mirror the success Kyler had with Hop vs the struggles he has had with Brown
There is no question Murray would complete more deep passes with Harrison. I like Harrison, but I’m not sure he’s Hopkins level.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Not my flavor but word on the street is they actually like McCarthy.

I'm sure they do, but I don't think it's "Stake your job on this unless you're Kyle Shanhan" like. I think it's more like "Will Levis isn't that bad" like.

Now is the time to let the dreamers dream. More than happy to have this cutie-pie (right) in the green room for a little longer on draft night:

You must be registered for see images attach

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Does this impact him on any teams draft board?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Nah.
Ever been on Bourbon street at Mardi gras?? Damn fool to be unarmed... couple hundred folks a day get mugged.
It ain't for the faint of heart. Family men should stay off Bourbon and just enjoy the parades.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I dont think there is anyway we get #6 and a 2025 1st rounder from the Giants....which is what would make the deal enticing. I suppose they could give us #47, but it doesnt really move the needle for me, certainly not enough to move off of MHJ and possible lose out on both.

Harry you would know better than I would, but would the Giants basically give the Cards a guarantee they aren't drafting MHJ or Odunze? I know its not official, but it seems like going back on something like that could get you a lot of heat around the league and someone not to deal with in the future.

The thing that makes some of these scenarios more possible is that there seems to be a wide range of opinions on the QBs. While we are looking at it saying, "someone is taking the #4 QB"....they could very well be getting their #1 or #2 guy on their board. My own opinion is Maye, Williams, McCarthy, Daniels....and I know that is vastly different from others.
We would probably need to throw a third and a late pick in. Giants lack draft capital this year so they could really use the extra picks. I could see us doing 4 and 90 for 6 and next years 1st.

Not sure how that works on the draft pick chart but I’d be ok with this. Especially since the Chargers may be one of the teams that has Nabers as WR1 on their board. They already have Quentin Johnston as a big guy and Harbaugh has seen plenty of MHJ. Just a thought

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm still with playing it safe and taking MHJ because you never know what happens on a trade down. Maybe Odunze goes elsewhere.

And while I think MHJ and Odunze are both high character guys that Monti will love I think he will want to play it safe and take the one he knows he can get.

But if we come away with Rome and a bunch of capital I won't be mad.
As much as I’m a MHJ guy, if it’s two firsts (one of which guarantees us odunze somehow) plus Addison. I’m in. I’d sacrifice MHJ for odunze plus Addison plus another first. A skill group of:

Kyler
Connor
Odunze
Addison
Mcbride

Seems REALLY good.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This is what it would take for me to move.

That old draft value chart goes out the window for teams trading up for a QB.
I want three firsts, a second, the GM’s first born son, an ice blue metallic 1967 convertible Camaro with white race stripes, and a permanent seat on the NCAA mens basketball tournament selection committee.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Brian Thomas is gonna be very very good. Not really sure why people think there is a huge drop off from the top 3 WRs to him.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow, I know people are essentialy saying that they don't want to trade down at all unless it's for a preposterous return... but this would be a preposterous return.

Per the Draftek trade value chart, the difference between #4 and #6 is 200 points. The Giants' 3rd rounder, #70, is worth 240... already a premium that teams tend to give up for a QB. A 2025 1st is worth an additional 590 points (based on the #32 pick), which is completely unrealistic.

This is a little more realistic, but the Giants' 2nd round pick at #47 is worth 430 points - a 115% premium over the 200 points in value the Cardinals would be giving up. Maybe reasonable if the Cardinals gave back their late 3rd (140) or 4th (86).

But then as @kerouac9 noted, it's questionable whether the Giants would even want the 4th QB off the board, let alone be willing to give up a "massive haul" for a guy who might just fall to them at #6 anyway.

It's worth remembering though that it's a sellers market. The draft points guide is a useful guide to normal market value, but if you really want that guy, and especially is there are multiple interested parties, you have to overpay.

The Redskins and Rams 2012 trade is a prime example.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I'm sure they do, but I don't think it's "Stake your job on this unless you're Kyle Shanhan" like. I think it's more like "Will Levis isn't that bad" like.

Now is the time to let the dreamers dream. More than happy to have this cutie-pie (right) in the green room for a little longer on draft night:

You must be registered for see images attach
Some dudes are just winners. JJMc is that guy. Cute dog. Cute girl. National Champ. Checking off all the boxes.

What is interesting is I feel like I am one of the few posters on this board who gets the hype. I am not shocked at all that he is projected to go in round 1. Dude is mobile. Has an NFL arm. Doesn't get frustrated if he isn't chucking it 50 times. Seems pretty calm in pressure situations. Doesn't turn the ball over.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Some dudes are just winners. JJMc is that guy. Cute dog. Cute girl. National Champ. Checking off all the boxes.

What is interesting is I feel like I am one of the few posters on this board who gets the hype. I am not shocked at all that he is projected to go in round 1. Dude is mobile. Has an NFL arm. Doesn't get frustrated if he isn't chucking it 50 times. Seems pretty calm in pressure situations. Doesn't turn the ball over.

He also made some of the best throws from any of the QB's in this class.

There is one where he throws down the seam and drops it perfectly into one of the tightest windows you have ever seem at any level of the game that is just Wow.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

I get it too, but he has some major flaws to his game at this point.

I watched a good film breakdown of McCarthy where the analyst showed how he often didn't go to the right read for the defensive coverage on the field. He did that a lot and he left slot of yards on the field by going to the wrong read too often.

Did he not understand the design of the play and how the offense was attacking that particular coverage?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I get it too, but he has some major flaws to his game at this point.

I watched a good film breakdown of McCarthy where the analyst showed how he often didn't go to the right read for the defensive coverage on the field. He did that a lot and he left slot of yards on the field by going to the wrong read too often.

Did he not understand the design of the play and how the offense was attacking that particular coverage?
Also -- cargo pants for your engagement photos? Dem pics is foreva, bruh.

Gotta question this guy's decision-making.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also -- cargo pants for your engagement photos? Dem pics is foreva, bruh.

Gotta question this guy's decision-making.
Well marriage is a farce so I’m team McCarthy. There’s about 60% + chance he will be divorced in less then 10 years and the pic won’t matter :)

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
My pushback would be that Kyler has struggled to complete deeper passes because the smaller stature of his pass catchers emphasizes his struggles with ball placement.
I think there was a major disconnect between Kyler and Hollywood that accounts for some of the issues that we didn't see with Hopkins, Green, and Kirk.

From what the numbers say and from what we saw, I think that Hollywood is a putrid ball tracker.
When Kyler was throwing the ball downfield to Hopkins, this wasn't as much of an issue. Marv would likely mirror the success Kyler had with Hop vs the struggles he has had with Brown
I think this is a great argument for MHJ over Odunze. Getting the deep ball back on track matters probably more than any other improvement that can be made. Odunze is a good deep ball guy, but Marvin is better.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think that Hollywood is a putrid ball tracker.

This.

Kyler has had major issues with his accuracy, but also Brown is almost Andy Isabella levels of ball tracking ability.

What makes Tyreek elite isn't his speed. It's his speed and fantastic ball tracking to pair with it.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If he wasn't a white QB from Michigan nobody would be hyping him as a 1st-round pick.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson