2024 Draft Countdown/NFL Prospects thread

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that you can make a reasonable argument that the upgrade from Hollywood or Moore/Wilson to MJH is so much greater than the upgrade from Hump to Alt or Fashanu.

We really just need better players at the top of the roster. Another PJJ is a recipe for another five-win season unless we make some money moves in FA.
I agree. What I’m thinking is if we sign Brown it might be an indication we go in another direction than picking MHJ. I’m in the corner that no matter if we sign Brown or a different free agent I’d STILL draft MHJ.
Two 1st, two 2nds and two 3rds give us plenty of opportunities to add to other areas..

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I agree. What I’m thinking is if we sign Brown it might be an indication we go in another direction than picking MHJ. I’m in the corner that no matter if we sign Brown or a different free agent I’d STILL draft MHJ.
Two 1st, two 2nds and two 3rds give us plenty of opportunities to add to other areas..
Yeah. Unless Michael Wilson comes on like gangbusters over the rest of the season, little is gonna get me off the corner that adding playmaking at WR is a critical need. I don't think there will be any free agents who will economically fill that need, either.

Right now, at least, we have 2 first-rounders, 1 second-rounder, and three third-rounders, according to Tankathon.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah. Unless Michael Wilson comes on like gangbusters over the rest of the season, little is gonna get me off the corner that adding playmaking at WR is a critical need. I don't think there will be any free agents who will economically fill that need, either.

Right now, at least, we have 2 first-rounders, 1 second-rounder, and three third-rounders, according to Tankathon.
I love Michael Wilson but the damn injury history scares me. I think you are correct about F/A wr. Maybe a guy like Samuels would work but he’s been in and out of the line up too.
It has to be more than just MHJ. We need to create a situation that prevents defenses from double or triple covering him. Should they do that we need an option than can make them pay.
Someone willing to block would help too.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Hypothetically.

We select a WR with the first pick and with the Texans pick we have our choice of...

Jared Verse
Kool-Aid McKinstry
Taliese Fuaga
Jer'Zhan Newton

Who are you taking and why?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think that you can make a reasonable argument that the upgrade from Hollywood or Moore/Wilson to MJH is so much greater than the upgrade from Hump to Alt or Fashanu.

We really just need better players at the top of the roster. Another PJJ is a recipe for another five-win season unless we make some money moves in FA.
So much of this.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Hypothetically.

We select a WR with the first pick and with the Texans pick we have our choice of...

Jared Verse
Kool-Aid McKinstry
Taliese Fuaga
Jer'Zhan Newton

Who are you taking and why?
From that list?? Newton.... But I would take Amarius Mims from Georgia... Sports illustrated has him going to Buffalo at 16 in their latest mock ..they see what I see...an OT that's a little raw but even as OT4 on draft day he is likely to be the best of the bunch in a few years....one of the best in the draft

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Only thing that worries me is a possible run of WRs before the Texans pick.

Wouldnt be shocked if the Chargers take another Wr again.

I think its mandatory to take a WR in round 1.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
And to further K9s point, I could support the Cardinals giving up picks to move up from the Texans pick for Alt or Fashanu. This team is so desperate for top end talent and a combo of MHJ and Alt/Fashanu is worth some future picks.
It would probably take our second and one of our thirds to move up.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only thing that worries me is a possible run of WRs before the Texans pick.

Wouldnt be shocked if the Chargers take another Wr again.

I think its mandatory to take a WR in round 1.
The Chargers have a lot to worry about before they think about taking a WR. First of all, who is going to be the new coach?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Brit, I'm basing this on what I've read. Falling to four shouldn't be a problem. Because........
1. At #4 we take an OT.
2. With the Texans' pick we take a WR.
And while Belichick is a great coach, I'm not often impressed with his draft picks. So, if NE is in the top three, his pick might be one from out of left field, and either Williams, Maye or MHJ might be there.

I think even then you're foregoing a ton of potential value that you'd get in the trade down. Trading from two to four would likely net you a second-round pick this year and a first next year.

I'm fine with picking further back taking one of the tackles. My personal preference is Alt, I think both are very good prospects but Alt has better movement skills.

I'd rather do that by trading out of 3 though. Especially if there is a 3rd QB in the running. I think the value difference between #3 and #4 this year is pretty big. Whether it's for MHJ or a QB.

If we stay at #3 odds are we can trade back, get a great player and pick up a bunch more draft capital. If it's #4 I think the odds are we stay pat.

I'll suck it up though if it means we beat the Eagles.

GeorgiaCard88

Veteran
Reaction score
Agree with most that the first pick needs to be a wr. I’m really crossing my fingers for MHJ, but if we traded back and still “nabbed” nabers I’m cool with that

Second pick needs to be defense- HAS TO BE- defense. This is one of the most talent depleted units in the nfl, despite Gannon coaching them up to be halfway decent.

I don’t like burning another pick on OT in the first this year. Either move Paris back to the left and get a solid RT in free agency or stay where we are at. Sure hump is average- but we’ve seen worse (remember Levi Brown) and the big upgrades to this offensive line is not on the outside but our atrocious inside

OP
OP
football karma

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
DVOA gives them even o odds to make the playoffs today.
honest question: does DVOA take into account they may be playing with a backup QB for a game or two?

i think its purely objective

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I agree. Right now I see Wilson as a complementary piece. The Cardinals still need that big WR on the outside. If the Cardinals don't re-sign Hollywood, they would have very little locked up in the WR position. So going after a Tee Higgins would be a possibility if they chose to. However if the Cardinals decide to pass on WR during FA then a MHJ or Odunze becomes a must in the first round IMO.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Interesting article in The Athletic today. I personally like the idea of scenario C. Move down a spot or two and grab Fashanu or Alt, grab a WR (there will still be very good ones left at that point) with the Houston pick and then pick up Nix with the second round pick as insurance should Murray fail long term. I also like the idea of re-structure Humphries contract and moving him inside to left guard which resolves that problem.

https://theathletic.com/5134254/202...e-maye/?source=freedailyemail&campaign=601983

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Interesting article in The Athletic today. I personally like the idea of scenario C. Move down a spot or two and grab Fashanu or Alt, grab a WR (there will still be very good ones left at that point) with the Houston pick and then pick up Nix with the second round pick as insurance should Murray fail long term. I also like the idea of re-structure Humphries contract and moving him inside to left guard which resolves that problem.

https://theathletic.com/5134254/202...e-maye/?source=freedailyemail&campaign=601983
This team is not good enough to spend a second round pick on a backup QB hedge.