2024 Draft Countdown/NFL Prospects thread

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Why? Have you seen what schools and boosters are paying these coaches to go away?

There is the upcoming backlash that will hit if the schools do not make money off sports with this type of money floating around and athletic depts taking money from the schools to compete - NIL is the first big step to sports being spun off of the school entirely, and hopefully a functional solution is found for both parties over the next decade or two...

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The NFL sell seems fairly easy to me. NIL could compete with first year earnings, but not career $. Look at all the college players skipping bowl games due to injury concerns. In recent years we seen players loose huge money due to injury. Look at Jordan Travis. His career is likely over. Mckinzie Milton lost his NFL opportunity the same way. I don’t think an NIL is paying $40+ million, which his first contract might be (at least $30+) with millions more to follow.
Yeah, but it's just a year. He could go to rookie training camp and lose almost everything due to some catastrophic injury. And, wind up with less.

That said, the 20 million number is probably big exaggeration. That's my guess.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He had a heart attack and let's be real, he's not the talent of his dad...just the name and that's why he's even getting as much as he is.
I’m not really understanding your point. Bronny is wayyyy more known/marketable than MHJ. Whatever Bronny is making, MHJ is making way less.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Yeah, but it's just a year. He could go to rookie training camp and lose almost everything due to some catastrophic injury. And, wind up with less.

That said, the 20 million number is probably big exaggeration. That's my guess.
The NFL contract is slotted and guaranteed. He’ll get at least $30 million.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I’m not really understanding your point. Bronny is wayyyy more known/marketable than MHJ. Whatever Bronny is making, MHJ is making way less.
The point is NIL is a backdoor way for boosters to pay to keep players. Don't doubt for a second that OU boosters wouldn't cough up $ to try for a championship. MHJ is worth WAY more to OU than Bronny is to USC.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Supposedly, NFL vets said the rookie deal would mostly be signing bonus which is guaranteed money. They think that's hard to be matched by any college.
Like the previous poster said it's not the "college" that pays NILs. It's boosters, and all it takes is one billionaire.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
And that bottom line is a joke. I know that about CFB, that it's a beauty pageant (except when it isn't) and is a reason I don't like it nearly as much as the NFL.
It has always been that way. And now they are taking measures to make it better, but it is still going to be flawed. And I agree that I think the nfl playoff and Super Bowl format is better.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Here’s the part I don’t get. Going into Saturday FSU was ranked 4th, ahead of Texas after FSU beat Florida. Friday Texas beat a mediocre Okla St., ranked 22nd. Saturday FSU beat Louisville ranked 16th. So which team beat the best opponent? If the committees ranking was correct going into that weekend, how much did strength of schedule change? Why wasn’t it a criteria previously? The injury consideration is weird. It never previously impacted ranking throughout the year. Why wasn’t Texas disqualified from the playoffs for barely (3pts) beating TCU, who only won 5 games? How about them only beating Houston (7pts), a 4 game winner? Oh, that’s right; Texas had their starting QB out. The QB playing for FSU in the playoffs would surely be the one who beat Florida. Finally how about giving FSU credit for devising a game plan that beat a ranked opponent with a restricted QB. By restricted I mean they didn’t let the QB run because there literally was no QB backup. BTW the kid was a great runner in high school. It’s fairly easy to defend a one dimensional offense. FSU won by 10!

As to FSU playing lousy against a medium opponent, how about the game AL played against unranked Auburn. If not for a questionable coaching decision, AL loses to a vastly inferior team.

To me this says the Committee gave Saban the good old boy treatment. Once they picked him they had to put in Texas who beat AL. They used an excuse which had never been a ranking criteria. They literally changed the rules to get the people they wanted in. FSU beat every team they played. They even won with no backup QB. They won by more than Texas did when Texas was playing their second string QB (with a backup) against 2 unranked opponents. The Committee looked only at the last weekend and only at the SEC and soon-to-be SEC teams. The fix was in.
I don’t think the committee only looked at last weekend for a fix. But they should give a lot of weight to the title games. Especially when the clear number one team in the country lost to another top ten team. Texas got rewarded for scheduling a top non conference opponent and beating them on the road in what was an upset. FSU did schedule LSU so I give them credit as well, I’m not here to poke holes in their resume. I do think FSU got hosed. If Georgia beat Bama we probably see FSU get through and Texas left out.

With that said I also think Texas fully deserve to be one of the top four teams based on the entire season. And I would not call Oklahoma state mediocre. I don’t think Oklahoma state are elite, but if you compare them to Louisville some people are going to pick Oklahoma state based on what they have for playmakers on both sides of the ball. I was really impressed with how Texas dominated OkState.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You outdid yourself with this one.
How so? Even if it isn’t $20M he could end up with the highest NIL in CFB next year and he doesn’t have to go to NFL to take care of his family. Maybe he ain’t in a rush to go to a losing team.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Eh Alabama beating Georgia and their overall record is good enough for me. In CFB, it's better to lose early than to lose late, and Alabama's early season stumble against Texas seems like years ago. Since then, Alabama has gotten a lot better. If I were a betting man, I think they walk away with another Nattie.
Particularly Alabama’s QB is better than he was when they played Texas. I think Texas should have won that game by more than 10 based on how terrible Bama’s qb played in that game. I would say from the same notion that Texas has improved a lot as well since that game.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Particularly Alabama’s QB is better than he was when they played Texas. I think Texas should have won that game by more than 10 based on how terrible Bama’s qb played in that game. I would say from the same notion that Texas has improved a lot as well since that game.
Maybe. Alabama is a lot better now though.

It's like I mentioned earlier: if you compare Alabama's schedule to FSUs, FSU had a MUCH easier schedule. And add in the fact that FSU is likely nearly noncompetitive because of the third string QB and it's a slam dunk for viewers to see Alabama over an FSU team that's going to lose by three TDs in any matchup.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Maybe. Alabama is a lot better now though.

It's like I mentioned earlier: if you compare Alabama's schedule to FSUs, FSU had a MUCH easier schedule. And add in the fact that FSU is likely nearly noncompetitive because of the third string QB and it's a slam dunk for viewers to see Alabama over an FSU team that's going to lose by three TDs in any matchup.
I agree. I also think Texas head to head vs bama is a good matchup for Texas. Texas has matured a lot since when they played bama. Texas finally started to hit their full potential over their last three games.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Since when? Look up athletes with the highest deals. None of them are the best at their sport, but they are the most known.
When you have coaches openly talking about how many millions it will cost to get a basic starting QB, it's not too difficult to start connecting dots. Also, look how much money boosters are paying dudes like Jimbo Fisher to not coach. You think they wouldn't start trying to put their hundreds of millions of dollars to better use, to help build rosters? I think people really have their heads in the sand about NIL...the N should stand for naive.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
When you have coaches openly talking about how many millions it will cost to get a basic starting QB, it's not too difficult to start connecting dots. Also, look how much money boosters are paying dudes like Jimbo Fisher to not coach. You think they wouldn't start trying to put their hundreds of millions of dollars to better use, to help build rosters? I think people really have their heads in the sand about NIL...the N should stand for naive.

Sure didn't take long for NIL to get completely out of control.

Americans are so crazy about football.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You think they wouldn't start trying to put their hundreds of millions of dollars to better use
Difference is those boosters expect coaches to stay for an extended period of time. The blue-chip players will only be there for a minimum of 2-3 years

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen