2024 1st round pick #27 is Darius Robinson Edge

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It's not his size that concerns me. It's his ability. Nothing he has done inside says he is worth a 1st round pick to play that position. I've gone back and watched his 21 and 22 film when he played much more inside and it's extremely meh.

If he's going to line up on the Edge 70% of the time he plays and 30% inside depending on the down and distance then ok. I still think he should be a full time edge because everything that made him a 1st round pick came from the Edge, but I can live with 70/30.

If he's going to be 70% inside and 30% Edge then it's a huge waste of a pick from what I have seen. As a DT / 3-4DE you could have gone all the way back to pick 54 and Michael Hall and got a better interior lineman.

Before last season started, when he'd played predominantly inside, he was a projected day 3 pick. Literally everything that made him a day 1 pick came from him playing Edge.

I've heard the poor man's JJ Watt comparisons with the ability to move in and out. JJ only played 12% of his career snaps at 3 tech. He played most 44.4% at 6 to 9 tech, wide Edge. And 42.9% at 4/5 tech. So over 87% no further inside than head on with the tackle. If that's how me use Robinson it should be ok.

At the Eagles Gannon liked to play Okie fronts with someone inside at 4 tech directly over the tackle and someone with speed on a wide alignment they would be forced to block with a TE. That would be ok in true passing scenarios.
Darius changed his body type when he was asked to play edge though. He dropped weight and got pretty cut to make the move.

Even if his 40 time wasn't great, his first step and extremely violent hands are pretty special.

You can see how much of a problem he can be for a blocking scheme when you pop in those one-on-one tapes from the Senior Bowl.

I agree that he's probably more a 4T or 5T and not a wide 9 or 3T. I'd use him the way Campbell was used years ago and just watch him unleash havoc on both the run and pass

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Citing this as evidence of anything will never, ever stop behind hilarious.
Cool story bro. I'll hold my tongue and not tell you want I really want to say here.

Those simulators are fed by thousands of users or at least PFFs is. Maybe I need to break this down to you Barney-style, but that means that a lot of people were a lot more bullish about Robinson than the Mel Kipers of the world

And the simulations ended up being correct on a number of trends that I saw actually happen in the draft. I said it before the draft, if you didn't take a corner in round two, you'd miss out on all of the best prospects. The simulations also had DeJean and Newton falling to round two, which means that many observers didn't like the fit in round one.

But yes, be rude for the sake of being rude. I'll continue to feed you back what you give

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
This pick still massively concerns me.

There is nothing in Robinsons tape or stats that say he's in inside guy. He was a ghost in the draft world until he moved to full time Edge this past year. All his senior bowl success was at Edge. If Robinson played inside this past year he's going 4th or 5th round.

It's very concerning if they drafted him to play him predominantly inside as high as they did. I only hope they intend him to play more at Edge.
Not to your eyes, but other NFL dudes have mentioned him playing inside and outside.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Cool story bro. I'll hold my tongue and not tell you want I really want to say here.

Those simulators are fed by thousands of users or at least PFFs is. Maybe I need to break this down to you Barney-style, but that means that a lot of people were a lot more bullish about Robinson than the Mel Kipers of the world

And the simulations ended up being correct on a number of trends that I saw actually happen in the draft. I said it before the draft, if you didn't take a corner in round two, you'd miss out on all of the best prospects. The simulations also had DeJean and Newton falling to round two, which means that many observers didn't like the fit in round one.

But yes, be rude for the sake of being rude. I'll continue to feed you back what you give
Garbage in, garbage out. Put an infinite number of monkeys behind an infinite number of typewriters for an infinite amount of time and you'll eventually get the complete works of William Shakespeare.

As many have said, Robinson was selected right around where he was project to by most everybody. I'm sure your confirmation bias is extremely strong tho.

There was nothing rude about my post; I'm sorry you took it that way. I'm sure you'll arrive at where I am on this just like you arrived where I am on PFF grades. Eventually.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Garbage in, garbage out. Put an infinite number of monkeys behind an infinite number of typewriters for an infinite amount of time and you'll eventually get the complete works of William Shakespeare.

As many have said, Robinson was selected right around where he was project to by most everybody. I'm sure your confirmation bias is extremely strong tho.
It's not confirmation bias when I saw the same trends from mock draft information derived from 1000s of users.

But I get it, unless it's information from a Kerouac approved (and also biased/subjective) source you don't approve and you instead turn to mockery and very rude laugh reacts at nearly everything I post.
There was nothing rude about my post; I'm sorry you took it that way. I'm sure you'll arrive at where I am on this just like you arrived where I am on PFF grades. Eventually.
I get it, you're just not a very pleasant person and also not very aware of your affect. I've had enough encounters with you over the years to understand who you are.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
This is the correct line of thinking. Maybe they liked him but for all intents and purposes, we probably could have got him in the second. In general, I don't like the idea of trading down but I hate reaching even more. This reminds me of a Deone Bucannon type move. Reaching for a guy in round 1 that more than likely would have been there in round 2 in a trade back if we really wanted him.
Deone was a safety in college that the X GM drafted in the first round to convert to yet again another ILB. Not sure I see the connection other than you liked a different “Name” in the draft.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
It's not confirmation bias when I saw the same trends from mock draft information derived from 1000s of users.

But I get it, unless it's information from a Kerouac approved (and also biased/subjective) source you don't approve and you instead turn to mockery and very rude laugh reacts at nearly everything I post.

I get it, you're just not a very pleasant person and also not very aware of your affect. I've had enough encounters with you over the years to understand who you are.
Again blocking him has been great, very entertaining.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

K9 strikes me as an example of a nauseating little prick who once won a debating class in High School, resulting in a two clever-by-half approach to discourse - half-truths, half-the-facts, half-the-story.

The Al Bundy of debate. ;)

OP
OP
BullheadCardFan

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
K9 strikes me as an example of a nauseating little prick who once won a debating class in High School, resulting in a two clever-by-half approach to discourse - half-truths, half-the-facts, half-the-story.

Lay off on the personal attacks and get off your high horse

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Enjoy your time off.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Haha, I always believe what the GM says to justify his pick. Just like Keim had Byron Murphy ranked in his top 10, right?
See where you're coming from. My only defense of Monti is that I and a lot of experts did not expect such a run on offensive players in the 1st round. Expected a lot but not that many, starting with the QB's. So he just might have been telling the truth.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I’m one of the monkeys that probably over 100 mocks beyond a handful of players I knew jack squat. So yeah, a LOT of garbage in likely.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sadly Kiem was probably telling the truth.

Most likely Kiem was telling the truth with regards to Murphy being #10 on their board.

Most NFL teams have about 110-130 players on their draft boards and rarely see all of them selected. This is because teams value players differently whether it be scheme fit, need, off field issues or injury concerns.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I’m one of the monkeys that probably over 100 mocks beyond a handful of players I knew jack squat. So yeah, a LOT of garbage in likely.
My point is the PFF is fan fed. Hardcore fans know their teams and are drafting to fill those needs.

The real draft played out very similar to how the mocks I ran simulated it would as far as when positions were going to go.

I called the CB run, knew alot of receivers were going to fall, and knew most of the good DL would be long gone by round three.