2023 Phoenix Suns Offseason

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
IDK if VanVleet. Supposedly Gambo said last year with Sarver, they did not want another small PG like him. Looking to add a guy with size for switches. We have seen teams in the playoffs target CP3 on switches. I just don't know who this larger guard would be for us. I am assuming PG or Combo guard with size and skills leaning towards defense to fit the Vogel mold.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
could be it sounds like if you get it done before the end of the finals the new CBA isn't yet in effect.

Yes, it's been said the new CBA is going to be implemented in phases.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
waiving and re-signing paul is their best option. There is no way they sign a better player with the extra cap space they'd get by stretching his contract.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After all this, the Suns plan to waive Chris Paul but he has not been waived yet.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gambo was not saying Chris Paul would be waived. He has been saying they will not pay him the 30 million. Gambo is saying that Shams report is the most accurate. Sounds like Chris Paul has been informed they will be exploring all possibilities before the deadline which include trade, stretching his contract, or waiving and re-signing him in free agency to avoid paying him the guaranteed $30.8 million. Gambo thinks this was leaked as a way of putting a "for sale" sign in case a team wanted to make a last minute move for Paul. They are saying essentially he WILL NOT be waived right now because it makes no sense until you get closer to the deadline.

Thank God Flex was right again about the Suns paying him his 30 million. :rolleyes:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flex was wrong. He clearly said we would pick up CP3's option. Watch him come back with a weaselly response. Gambo was right again this offseason.
Flex is on a massive roll for over a year now getting everything mostly wrong. Gambo has even gone out of his way to shoot down multiple Flex Tweets. My favorite was him saying an illegal trade could happen.

Last edited:

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
waiving and re-signing paul is their best option. There is no way they sign a better player with the extra cap space they'd get by stretching his contract.
They would get zero cap space - but what I don't know is how it effects exceptions - if for instance we get an extra 10 million exception by stretching him but don't get one by resigning him - I want the exception

I absolutely think a 10 million dollar exception should be able to get us a better player than Chris Paul at this stage and with the 2 stars we have.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They would get zero cap space - but what I don't know is how it effects exceptions - if for instance we get an extra 10 million exception by stretching him but don't get one by resigning him - I want the exception

I absolutely think a 10 million dollar exception should be able to get us a better player than Chris Paul at this stage and with the 2 stars we have.
A more consistent player, yes, but we have see 2 versions of CP, maybe 3. We won't get anyone for that price as good as CP3 is still capable of being for short stretches but there's a good chance we can get one that outplays the other versions we see.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't agree. Better than Chris Paul? No. More reliable than Chris Paul? OK. What player at that price point is going to give you 14/9 per night, be as deadly in the midrange and be a key cog in your pick and roll?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Woj saying Suns are exploring trade options with Ayton.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Losing Chris Paul for the MLE is a fail on the off season. If he resigns that is different but this is a net negative

The Suns roster next season is looking like Booker and Durant and hopefully 7-8 rotation players.

When the trade was made, is this what Suns fans envisioned?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Losing Chris Paul for the MLE is a fail on the off season. If he resigns that is different but this is a net negative

James Jones, Booker, and KD need to sit down with Paul and see what he wants. If we waive him and he bolts for LA, that screws the Suns. If he wants to be in LA then we can pick up the guarantee and do a sign and trade for D'Lo. LeBron can make that happen on that end.

A handshake deal for Paul to resign for the minimum is the best for us, and probably Paul, provided he's willing to accept a reduced role as well. At least that'd be the best for next season, beyond is beyond and we can worry about that later.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't agree. Better than Chris Paul? No. More reliable than Chris Paul? OK. What player at that price point is going to give you 14/9 per night, be as deadly in the midrange and be a key cog in your pick and roll?

But he’s not anymore. He kills our offense. Yeah he can get those numbers but at the expense of the team.

He’s not a legit pick and roll threat anymore he can’t get separation same with his mid range. There’s a reason he’s pretty much a spot up 3 point shooter now. He can’t snake in the lane and get what he wants anymore

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
But he’s not anymore. He kills our offense. Yeah he can get those numbers but at the expense of the team.

He’s not a legit pick and roll threat anymore he can’t get separation same with his mid range. There’s a reason he’s pretty much a spot up 3 point shooter now. He can’t snake in the lane and get what he wants anymore
Check our plus minus when on the floor verses off. He may not be the scorer but he gets others easy buckets.

Again, what player is going to give you better production at that price?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Check our plus minus when on the floor verses off. He may not be the scorer but he gets others easy buckets.

Again, what player is going to give you better production at that price?

He’s +/- cause he’s playing with the starters. Dude he legit wasn’t even bringing the ball up the court anymore at the end of the year.

Screw it keep him.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
From SBNATION 76ers Insider: But I reminded myself there’s way too much more slop coming to get too worried about any one scenario. And sure enough, ESPN Insider Ramona Shelburne dropped the next breadcrumb for us.

Appearing live on the Mason & Ireland on ESPN Radio show, Shelburne said:

“[The Phoenix Suns don’t waive Paul] unless they feel pretty good about somebody else. And I want you to keep your eye on James Harden. I don’t want to report anything, but that was in the wind for the past month or so. Everybody thinks it’s like Philly or Houston but I don’t know, there has been discussions in the wind.”

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He’s +/- cause he’s playing with the starters. Dude he legit wasn’t even bringing the ball up the court anymore at the end of the year.

Screw it keep him.
Well yeah. The same starters some guy will have to play with. You still have not answered the question.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not at all.

I've been hoping the Suns had a plan beyond the past trade deadline and buyouts.

Unless they can make a trade to change the tide for this coming season, I fear they are very close to blowing it up. I hope I am wrong.

The baffling part for me is why. They had a huge window for years to come with young talent and draft picks.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been hoping the Suns had a plan beyond the past trade deadline and buyouts.

Unless they can make a trade to change the tide for this coming season, I fear they are very close to blowing it up. I hope I am wrong.

The baffling part for me is why. They had a huge window for years to come with young talent and draft picks.
There wasn’t a window though. Not as built. I have a feeling they feared Booker would want out minus a huge acquisition.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There wasn’t a window though. Not as built. I have a feeling they feared Booker would want out minus a huge acquisition.

Are you liking this brief window better? The Suns should have kept building on their core players.

They were in the Finals in 2020-21.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I feel like the window is through 2026 as the contracts are lined up now.