2023 Phoenix Suns Offseason

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Just stop with the NBA needs jones because he's black. It is unnecessary.

I've watched 5 full years of his crap. We know exactly what he is. 17/10 of the most unimpactful minutes you can imagine, along with a couple unforgivable brain farts every game.

If there were a hint that the guy from the 2021 playoffs were still in there, fine, figure out a way to make it work. It's not going to work, and to run it back with a guy that doesn't want to be here and shows it in every way would be repeating the same mistake.
He still is tradable. Sorry you don't like it, it is true.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've watched 5 full years of his crap. We know exactly what he is. 17/10 of the most unimpactful minutes you can imagine, along with a couple unforgivable brain farts every game.

If there were a hint that the guy from the 2021 playoffs were still in there, fine, figure out a way to make it work. It's not going to work, and to run it back with a guy that doesn't want to be here and shows it in every way would be repeating the same mistake.

I think you got to let your new coach decide.

The stuff about Monty and how he treats players especially Ayton isn’t going to be pretty.

If you move Ayton I think by far your best bet is ATL. It’s all gonna depend on what the Hawks do. If they ride with Trae then Murray is gone and that’s best case for us

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I think JJ got his job not because of race, but mostly because he wasn't an established name as an executive and therefore came much cheaper to hire for Sarver. That was pretty much universally true for just about every prior front office hire by Sarver and fit his model.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, we have already seen this story play out many times over.

However, the Suns do need to show some patience, if need be, and hope some other team is intrigued by a former #1 draft pick.
If the national shows are to be believed there is a thought across some parts of the league that the Suns mishandled Ayton. If that is true? He should carry value. Suns MUST maximize his value. I don't give a damn where Ayton wants to go.

Last edited:

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
I agree, that's ridiculous. However, I do think it's fair to say that he has a job only because he was the eighth or ninth man on a couple of teams that happened to win the title. Of course, the same could be said for Steve Kerr.
Ok, look that did come off bad. I was rushing a bit. What I meant is the NBA has been pushing and rightly so for minorities. None of the large markets ever have to abide by this. Recall Tom Thibs won coach of the year when Monty deserved it? Yeah that's what I mean. Phoenix does the NBA a solid by being diverse where the big markets do not.

You can't fire Monty and JJ both, the league depends on teams like the Suns to pick up the slack for the larger markets.

My guess is Monty get fired and JJ moves up to a figurehead role. He is not capable of making decisions, I shouldn't have made it racial toned my apologies. Now get us a Mexican.

Also, I do like Monty, he is perfect for young teams just not for a super star team.

But yes I do strongly believe the Suns do a lot of the NBA in terms of minority hires. While other winning programs get away with not. Why do we have cover for the NBA?

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JJ is gone too, maybe not this year. But Owner do not want the previous owner's person to run ****. Plus, being a CEO, I am almost positive he has a kitchen cabinet evaluating James Jones.

Pro - James Jones is black and it helps the NBA
Pro - James Jones is Lebron's friend, so any firing will unleash Lebron's wrath
Pro - James Jones did draft Mikal
Pro - Good pick in Cam Johnson

Con - To make Sarver happy Jones said he would only scout using you tube and video, lol.
Con - James Jones drafted Jalen Smith at 10 when Haliburton was there and it wasn't like he was unknown.
Con - Jones declined Smith's post second year cap hold, almost unheard of, forcing him in a weak position
Con - Jones watching youtube sent the 26th pick to the Nets for Shamet and signed him immediately to a 4 year deal worth 40 plus million.
Con - Jones traded 2 assets for Torrey Criag (which isn't bad in itself) what's horrible is he was our free agent and while Jones was not paying attention Criag signed with Indiana.
Con - Jones then traded a lottery pick in Smith for Criag their own free agent. I mean that's really dumb.
Con - Jones continued to not have a back up plan for Paul, even though Paul was aging, he just didn't care
Con - Jones let Crowder get personal, instead of saying we will trade you, just play hard and we will find you a spot at the deadline, Jones the vindictive bat looking MF told him to stay home, killing his value.
Con - JOnes holding Crowder in purgatory doesn't make a trade and after sending the entire team to Brooklyn for Durant, they say Crowder too. This bro doesn't understand leverage.
Con - Does anyone trust Jones to get a point guard? lol, I bet SHamet runs point with this ass next year.

These things do not go unnoticed by new owners, hell even Sarver took Jerry's power away, Jones might be safe because Monty has to go and you need a black person in the front office but I expect his power to be almost nothing.

James Jones is a bad GM. He has made too many mistakes, isn't horrible like RMD or Babby or Blanks, but just not being dysfunctional, Robert's friend or suicidal doesn't make you the right person to make critical decisions while KD may have one to two years left.

James Jones did not draft Mikael

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Ok, look that did come off bad. I was rushing a bit. What I meant is the NBA has been pushing and rightly so for minorities. None of the large markets ever have to abide by this. Recall Tom Thibs won coach of the year when Monty deserved it? Yeah that's what I mean. Phoenix does the NBA a solid by being diverse where the big markets do not.

You can't fire Monty and JJ both, the league depends on teams like the Suns to pick up the slack for the larger markets.

My guess is Monty get fired and JJ moves up to a figurehead role. He is not capable of making decisions, I shouldn't have made it racial toned my apologies. Now get us a Mexican.

Also, I do like Monty, he is perfect for young teams just not for a super star team.

But yes I do strongly believe the Suns do a lot of the NBA in terms of minority hires. While other winning programs get away with not. Why do we have cover for the NBA?
How about we just talk about how he does his job without inserting bizarre and completely unsubstantiated personal race theories?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the national shows are to be believed there is a though across some part of the league that the Suns mishandled Ayton. If that is true? He should carry value. Suns MUST maximize his value. I don't give a damn where Ayton wants to go.

That's what I was saying. The Suns may need to show patience to maximize Ayton's trade value.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I absolutely believe Ayton can turn it around elsewhere. Especially when it's time for a new contract ;)

Plenty of folks in the FO have missed in the draft in recent years. We could have had Luka and Fox, not to mention Haliburton. Have you guys heard this before? BIG IF TRUE. So yeah, I hope Ibisha gets some new faces in THAT IS NOT ISAIAH THOMAS.

OP
OP
overseascardfan

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't think anyone is going to take Paul's contract. PHX may have to eat the $15M partial guarantee by declining the team option and send him to UFA.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Sounds like Chris Paul wants to stay but the Suns have other plans. You can't blame the Suns. They need a PG they depend on being available for the playoffs. CP3 as brilliant as he can be isn't that player.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sounds like Chris Paul wants to stay but the Suns have other plans. You can't blame the Suns. They need a PG they depend on being available for the playoffs. CP3 as brilliant as he can be isn't that player.

CP3 hasn’t been brilliant in a minute. It’s really odd. It’s like a switch got hit between game 2/3 last year against the Mavs.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
If Kyrie tells the Mavs he's leaving, the best package they would get in return would be DA and CP3 IMO. I cant think of another sign and trade close to that one for the risk that Kyrie would bring. Unfortunately...... we need to take the risk at this point IMO.

All of this is highly unreasonable but what other shot do we have at this point?

Pay Kyrie.
Sell CP3 and DA for KI and a center/wing combo.

that's my irrational take the day after another brutal beating.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
CP3 ain't going to be making $30M+ playing for PHX next year. The question is will PHX get a offer for Ayton that helps them. If its a bunch of scrubs and bad contracts, Ishbia may just decide to hold on to him and until he hopefully increases his trade value.

I know players like Monty but Budenholzer and Nurse are available and have that championship on their resumes.

Not sure how Ishbia feels about Jones. Does he want to bring in his own GM or does he have confidence that Jones can right the ship?
He is a CEO, of course he wants his own guy. That's what CEO's do.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
If Kyrie tells the Mavs he's leaving, the best package they would get in return would be DA and CP3 IMO. I cant think of another sign and trade close to that one for the risk that Kyrie would bring. Unfortunately...... we need to take the risk at this point IMO.

All of this is highly unreasonable but what other shot do we have at this point?

Pay Kyrie.
Sell CP3 and DA for KI and a center/wing combo.

that's my irrational take the day after another brutal beating.
Nah that offense would be incredible, you would have to charge hard after Brooks for brutality at the 4.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
It will depend on who they are able to trade. I would think it's certain that Booker and KD will be here, Monty will be gone. Everyone else should be on the market.
If James Jones is able to trade Shamet for anything of playable value, I will take back everything bad I have ever said about him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave