2023 Phoenix Suns Offseason

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Watching PHNX talking about culture

Denver up 30 and getting yelled at in the huddle to not let up on the gas. Monty talking about come on guys let’s play for eachother.

This team is shaped around the coach and system not shaped around the talent and that’s something you never do

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see the Suns being able to compete for a championship going forward unless they pull a rabbit out of a hat.

They are hamstrung trading draft picks and have a number of contracts that are huge over-pays.

Simply rolling out Devin Booker and an aging Kevin Durant is not enough, as we have seen.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
If we were able to parlay our roster dreck into useful role players ala the Lakers that would be a huge win. Our other means of improvement are limited.

More than anything, this group is stale. Guys openly want out. This isn't a group that's fighting on the cusp, it's a group that fighting within, with multiple guys not wanting to be here. Time to get our little general (CP) out, time to dump Ayton and his lazy ass attitude, and time to thank Monty for his service, but get a different voice in the room.
No James Jones you don't dump Ayton. He has way more value that you think. Sorry, just watch.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Dude, I want JJ gone also, but to continue to bang on the “JJ only has a job because he’s black” is just ugliness this board doesn’t need and JJ doesn’t deserve.
JJ earned the job, but what I am saying is you can't blow out two black FO people the same year. The Suns does the NBA a solid, they let the big markets hire white dudes and make the league look good by hiring minorities. If anything, in Phoenix we need a Mexican GM.

Notice how the NBA is super cool with the huge markets never hire diversity, it's all on the smaller markets. It's an observation.

Hell I am 100 percent ok with IT, he is black, but Jones, what has he ever done? He is terrible.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
It will depend on who they are able to trade. I would think it's certain that Booker and KD will be here, Monty will be gone. Everyone else should be on the market.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
I don't see the Suns being able to compete for a championship going forward unless they pull a rabbit out of a hat.

They are hamstrung trading draft picks and have a number of contracts that are huge over-pays.

Simply rolling out Devin Booker and an aging Kevin Durant is not enough, as we have seen.

The good thing about the new CBA is that it creates the Durant's and Booker making 50 to 60 million and a huge class of players making almost nothing.

- Dillon Brooks
- Kyrie
- Otto Porter
- Bogie

These are all options

Other options
- Murray or Trey
- Collins
- Other sharpshooters

However, we do need a point guard, I do not want Book running point.

We have one more year of Shamet then he can get bought out.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dude, I want JJ gone also, but to continue to bang on the “JJ only has a job because he’s black” is just ugliness this board doesn’t need and JJ doesn’t deserve.

I think JJ is kind of the same as Monty he made some good moves to get us there but once we got there he was clueless

I think him and Ishbia already know what’s up. The whole JJ taking the job as president makes so much sense now. I could see him move into that role full time and we end up with a new GM

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That was the case anyway. I guess moving CP3 and Ayton is going to reveal what is possible. I am hoping there are teams desperate for the structure of those contracts or thinking they can do better with Ayton. I have been listening to some national shows and the sentiment (which I call B.S.) is that many teams feel the Suns mishandled Ayton. Didn't utilize him correctly and there are teams that think they can do better. If that is the sentiment he carries value. Not sure how true that is but time will tell.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Isn’t half that Laker team set to be free agents. I just went to the trade machine and they have nobody.

But yes I would take a bunch of those role players or even DLO in a sign and trade

I wouldn’t be scared one but going against CP38

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
JJ is gone too, maybe not this year. But Owner do not want the previous owner's person to run ****. Plus, being a CEO, I am almost positive he has a kitchen cabinet evaluating James Jones.

Pro - James Jones is black and it helps the NBA
Pro - James Jones is Lebron's friend, so any firing will unleash Lebron's wrath
Pro - James Jones did draft Mikal
Pro - Good pick in Cam Johnson

Con - To make Sarver happy Jones said he would only scout using you tube and video, lol.
Con - James Jones drafted Jalen Smith at 10 when Haliburton was there and it wasn't like he was unknown.
Con - Jones declined Smith's post second year cap hold, almost unheard of, forcing him in a weak position
Con - Jones watching youtube sent the 26th pick to the Nets for Shamet and signed him immediately to a 4 year deal worth 40 plus million.
Con - Jones traded 2 assets for Torrey Criag (which isn't bad in itself) what's horrible is he was our free agent and while Jones was not paying attention Criag signed with Indiana.
Con - Jones then traded a lottery pick in Smith for Criag their own free agent. I mean that's really dumb.
Con - Jones continued to not have a back up plan for Paul, even though Paul was aging, he just didn't care
Con - Jones let Crowder get personal, instead of saying we will trade you, just play hard and we will find you a spot at the deadline, Jones the vindictive bat looking MF told him to stay home, killing his value.
Con - JOnes holding Crowder in purgatory doesn't make a trade and after sending the entire team to Brooklyn for Durant, they say Crowder too. This bro doesn't understand leverage.
Con - Does anyone trust Jones to get a point guard? lol, I bet SHamet runs point with this ass next year.

These things do not go unnoticed by new owners, hell even Sarver took Jerry's power away, Jones might be safe because Monty has to go and you need a black person in the front office but I expect his power to be almost nothing.

James Jones is a bad GM. He has made too many mistakes, isn't horrible like RMD or Babby or Blanks, but just not being dysfunctional, Robert's friend or suicidal doesn't make you the right person to make critical decisions while KD may have one to two years left.
Just stop with the NBA needs jones because he's black. It is unnecessary.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
JJ earned the job, but what I am saying is you can't blow out two black FO people the same year. The Suns does the NBA a solid, they let the big markets hire white dudes and make the league look good by hiring minorities. If anything, in Phoenix we need a Mexican GM.

Notice how the NBA is super cool with the huge markets never hire diversity, it's all on the smaller markets. It's an observation.

Hell I am 100 percent ok with IT, he is black, but Jones, what has he ever done? He is terrible.
How about we just talk about how he does his job without inserting bizarre and completely unsubstatiated personal race theories?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I don’t think they deal him in conference and I see ATL making huge changes. It’s all gonna depend on if they choose to roll with Trae.

If they choose Trae then Murray is a real possibility and that would be best case scenario.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was the case anyway. I guess moving CP3 and Ayton is going to reveal what is possible. I am hoping there are teams desperate for the structure of those contracts or thinking they can do better with Ayton. I have been listening to some national shows and the sentiment (which I call B.S.) is that many teams feel the Suns mishandled Ayton. Didn't utilize him correctly and there are teams that think they can do better. If that is the sentiment he carries value. Not sure how true that is but time will tell.

This wasn't the case anyway before the Suns traded for Durant. They had all their draft picks, easily tradable players and quality young talent.

About the most the Suns can hope for now is to make lemonade out of lemons.

However, we agree, trading Ayton might be the Suns best hope to recoup some talent.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This wasn't the case anyway before the Suns traded for Durant. They had all their draft picks, easily tradable players and quality young talent.

About the most the Suns can hope for now is to make lemonade out of lemons.

However, we agree, trading Ayton might be the Suns best hope to recoup some talent.
We agree to disagree and no sense in going over what has been repeated a million times.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
No James Jones you don't dump Ayton. He has way more value that you think. Sorry, just watch.
I've watched 5 full years of his crap. We know exactly what he is. 17/10 of the most unimpactful minutes you can imagine, along with a couple unforgivable brain farts every game.

If there were a hint that the guy from the 2021 playoffs were still in there, fine, figure out a way to make it work. It's not going to work, and to run it back with a guy that doesn't want to be here and shows it in every way would be repeating the same mistake.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've watched 5 full years of his crap. We know exactly what he is. 17/10 of the most unimpactful minutes you can imagine, along with a couple unforgivable brain farts every game.

If there were a hint that the guy from the 2021 playoffs were still in there, fine, figure out a way to make it work. It's not going to work, and to run it back with a guy that doesn't want to be here and shows it in every way would be repeating the same mistake.

Yeah, we have already seen this story play out many times over.

However, the Suns do need to show some patience, if need be, and hope some other team is intrigued by a former #1 draft pick.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

I agree, that's ridiculous. However, I do think it's fair to say that he has a job only because he was the eighth or ninth man on a couple of teams that happened to win the title. Of course, the same could be said for Steve Kerr.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave