2023 Phoenix Suns Offseason

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Denver are the defending champs while we got smoked on our home floor 2 years running. We shouldn't be the favorite until we win something. 2 games isn't enough, that's 1 more than Minnesota and you don't see them celebrating 1 win against the champs for a reason.
I don’t see how you even factor two years ago into the equation considering we have a whopping 3 players left from that team, one of which (Payne) is rumored to be on the way out and we’ve added KD Beal since then. Two years ago (and really somewhat even this past season) is irrelevant in looking forward imo.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
This team is deeper, but Chris Paul, even at his age, was better than anyone we brought in outside of Beal and on the nights when Paul looked like the Paul of a couple years ago (about 20% of the time) he was a better player than Beal has ever been.

Swapping Paul for Beal was a no brainer, Paul is in obvious decline, he couldn't stay on the court and even when he was able to play he only looked like himself now and then, but Paul was still a damn good player overall.

So many "what if" moments for the Suns, but man... if Paul didn't have to play the finals with torn tendons in his hand... siiiiiigh. Somewhere, somehow, I hope Patrick Beverly is having a horrible night. Maybe his dog is ******** in his bed...
That says a lot about the roster since CP3 had a .469 TS% in the playoffs last year which was lower than Landry Shamet and Josh Okogie. Not so sure Gordon won’t be better than Paul in the PG spot given his role.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
This team is deeper, but Chris Paul, even at his age, was better than anyone we brought in outside of Beal and on the nights when Paul looked like the Paul of a couple years ago (about 20% of the time) he was a better player than Beal has ever been.

Swapping Paul for Beal was a no brainer, Paul is in obvious decline, he couldn't stay on the court and even when he was able to play he only looked like himself now and then, but Paul was still a damn good player overall.

So many "what if" moments for the Suns, but man... if Paul didn't have to play the finals with torn tendons in his hand... siiiiiigh. Somewhere, somehow, I hope Patrick Beverly is having a horrible night. Maybe his dog is ******** in his bed...
As far as fits go for this team I'd take today's Eric Gordon > today's CP3

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Denver are the defending champs while we got smoked on our home floor 2 years running. We shouldn't be the favorite until we win something. 2 games isn't enough, that's 1 more than Minnesota and you don't see them celebrating 1 win against the champs for a reason.

The Nuggets returning five starters and a rotation player from an NBA Championship team counts for something.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Woah.....

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

5. Grizzlies playing draft pick poker

Memphis’s fascinating trade with Phoenix saw the Grizzlies swap two fairly big swings on possibly moving up in the 2024 and 2030 first rounds (via pick swap from the lesser of Washington’s or Phoenix’s picks) in return for the certainty of giving up three future second-round picks. (Memphis also had to swallow Isaiah Todd’s salary into its Dillon Brooks trade exception generated by the madness outlined above.)

This amounts to the Grizzlies playing odds here, even without certainty that they’ll come out ahead. They’ve basically purchased a put option that could expire valueless. However, with the price of moving up even a few spots in the first round becoming increasingly expensive, the potential ROI on this transaction can end up in the black even if Memphis doesn’t land some crazy lottery jackpot. Merely moving up from, say, 25th to 20th in one of the two seasons would probably be a break-even result on this move.

Nonetheless, it’s an unusual trade because so many teams want relative certainty in traded pick outcomes. This one is uncertain with a capital U.

The other nerdy part of this, from Phoenix’s end, is that the Suns traded the swap rights to two picks that they had already traded. It’s unlikely to matter much in 2024, when the Suns should be good, but Phoenix notably increased the chance of turning a good pick into an awful one in 2030.

Perhaps more notable is that the Suns acquired trade capital on this deal. Remember the prohibition on cash in trades noted above for teams above the second apron? Phoenix is also blocked by that. The Suns used this deal to finesse three second-round picks instead, which is important because they had zero of them to use in trades after giving all of them to Washington in the Bradley Beal trade.

Now, Phoenix can go into the trade deadline armed with at least a few assets to use in. minor deals to keep building the back end of the roster.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I expect the Suns to put a new emphasis on 2nd round picks much like they did when they drafted Toumani Camara.

They will look for older players in the draft that are ready to contribute or use some of the picks in trade.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns now have two trade exceptions to use. I'm thinking the Suns will use one or more if they need to fill a need.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Can we sign another vet-min guy without waiving someone?
No! There's a way to build your roster up to the low twenties this off season, but you have to cut down to 15 regular spots, and 3 2-way spots. Right now we have 15 regular spots and 1 two-way spot filled.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The Suns now have two trade exceptions to use. I'm thinking the Suns will use one or more if they need to fill a need.

Who would we trade? Ish again in the spotlight?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who would we trade? Ish again in the spotlight?

As far as I know, Ish's contract is still not guaranteed so the Suns could still clear a roster spot. I don't know if he is eligible for a two-way spot.

Also, the Suns could waive a player down the road, like they did with Frank Kaminsky.

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Being told there is still back and forth between the Suns and the Pacers. The Pacers are asking for Cam, Ish and Ayton for Mcconnell, Turner and draft picks. The hold up is the draft picks the Suns want and swapping picks. The July 15th date is not a big factor unless the terms on the draft is settled before the date. This is also holding up Bol Bol from signing with the Suns. The Suns are on top of his list. If this deal with the Pacer does not get done another team can come in and take Bol Bol from them.

The trade with the Spurs was plan B. The Suns really wanted to play chicken and have a staring contest with the Pacers but Bol Bol couldn’t wait and was ready to move on. Plan B had to happen.

If Suns fan think the organization is done then they are in for a treat. There is more to come. Still more moves being worked on behind the scenes.

All I can say is no player is safe. They talked about how they liked Cam and then he is now on his way out of town. Same with CP. Frank was looking forward to working with him and boom. He was gone.

Last edited:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
As far as I know, Ish's contract is still not guaranteed so the Suns could still clear a roster spot. I don't know if he is eligible for a two-way spot.

Also, the Suns could waive a player down the road, like they did with Frank Kaminsky.
That's true! I just don't know who. We signed everyone else, I am assuming, for certain roles. We are running out of people to trade! LOL!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's true! I just don't know who. We signed everyone else, I am assuming, for certain roles. We are running out of people to trade! LOL!

The most likely candidate from my perspective to trade or waive is Ish Wainright.

Of course, the Suns do have Deandre Ayton but no room to bring back players.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will Jordan Goodwin be the Suns backup point guard? At the moment, it looks like it.