2023 5th round pick #139 is Clayton Tune QB

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure that Tune would be the lowest drafted rookie of all-time to start a Week 1 game. Minshew played in Week 1 for the Jags as a rookie but he was subbing for an injured Nick Foles.
Kurt Warner was an undrafted rookie when he started game one for the Rams in the 1999 season.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He wasnt a rookie when he joined the rams
That's his rookie season. He was undrafted years earlier and the Packers had him at their training camp but didn't keep him for the regular season. He never played in an NFL game before he joined the Rams. All of his 1999 football cards are listed as his rookie cards.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, he wasn't. He played for the Rams in 1998 and was even put up as eligible for the expansion Browns, who did not select him.
Weird. I guess it threw me off because he never started a game before the first game of 1999. He was a 28-year-old first time starter, and all of his rookie cards are all from the 1999 season.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
He aint scared... in practice..... the gut check comes when his oline is being destroyed and the niners front 7 is collapsing on him from all angles... if he stands in and still threads the needle...then he is an nfl qb

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one that isn't as impressed with Tune that I thought I would be? He missed every single out throw to the sidelines. At least he missed high and not behind the receiver. There isn't a reading of the defense that has to be made with an out throw. He just has to plant his feet and throw with timing. He failed at that every time.

I was happy with how he bounced back, but I expected more.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Am I the only one that isn't as impressed with Tune that I thought I would be? He missed every single out throw to the sidelines. At least he missed high and not behind the receiver. There isn't a reading of the defense that has to be made with an out throw. He just has to plant his feet and throw with timing. He failed at that every time.

I was happy with how he bounced back, but I expected more.
Honest question...how much should any of us expect from a rookie 5th round draft pick, regardless of position? Did you see the 1st round QB's who played last week? Most, if not all, didn't look good and pundits were trying really hard to find the "positives", like footwork or hanging in the pocket. Few actually shined.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honest question...how much should any of us expect from a rookie 5th round draft pick, regardless of position? Did you see the 1st round QB's who played last week? Most, if not all, didn't look good and pundits were trying really hard to find the "positives", like footwork or hanging in the pocket. Few actually shined.
I expect him to not miss on every one of the out routes. While it is a long throw, he shouldn't miss on all of them. Even if he made one of them, I would have felt better.

OP
OP
BullheadCardFan

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I expect him to not miss on every one of the out routes. While it is a long throw, he shouldn't miss on all of them. Even if he made one of them, I would have felt better.
He was really bad on the out passes

Was it nerves or touch?

He has a lot of improvement to do

I think he has raw talent to do so

Will it be enough?

We'll see

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was really bad on the out passes

Was it nerves or touch?

He has a lot of improvement to do

I think he has raw talent to do so

Will it be enough?

We'll see
He overthrew each one. Two were badly overthrown. Once was just outside of the hands of the WR at full stretch if I remember correctly.