2023 4th round pick #122 is Jon Gaines II G

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've read a number of posters swear they'd be perfectly happy with it. Hell, I heard one say 2-5 years would be fine with them. 2-5 years!

Yeah, let's see how long all that zen acceptance really lasts :)
I agree that that’s a ridiculous timeline but I haven’t seen it posted. Granted, I don’t get to spend much time on here these days.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Supposed to be good athlete but sorta weak and has difficulty anchoring.
Sounds like most centers too. Smart, good movement skills, good at assignment football.

I know there is a lot of consternation about this pick, but I'm pretty excited about him. Sears has a reputation at identifying OL and with him as part of the process, my hope is the Cardinals start churning out OL.
Sounds like the guard we had years ago (can’t recall his name) who we all wanted replaced every year but he kept holding onto the spot.
Yep Reggie Wells. Wells was one the best OL this team has had over the Arizona era.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
It's nothing to do with Froholdt. Insert any 4 year vet there.

It's about the odds based on NFL history of any center outside round 1 being good right away. Have a look yourself. It's nearly unicorn level rare.

Although I did miss one above. Corey Lindsey in 2014 had a great rookie season for the packers.

But the norm for any Day 2 center that starts as a rookie is Mason Cole level play and my feeling is that any 4 year year vet can offer more in the short term. In which case wait for a Center until next year in a class with much better top end talent.
I’m betting both Schmitz & Tippmann have good years.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I thought same so I went and watch him at OU and there's lots of good film of him zone blocking.

For me, unless Hayes has forgot how to play football he should start at LG. That's my hope.

Jones has a shot but with only a year left it does nothing for the future.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Same. Irrational hope for Hayes.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It's odd because Hayes was drafted in round 7 and Gaines in round 4 but I don't think there's any question that Hayes is the better player. Clearly better on film.
I would agree but versatility matters as much as talent at the NFL level when filling in the back of rosters. Hayes being only a G hurt his stock a bit.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
My dream OL to start the season is DJ / Hayes / Gaines / Hernandez / Paris. No issues with Paris sticking long term at RT. There are some good LT options in next year's draft if we want to explore replacing DJ.
I wouldn't mind that OL to start the season, considering we'll have backup QBs to get crushed behind that line. Until and unless those younguns pan out, that is not the OL I want starting when Kyler returns, though.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind that OL to start the season, considering we'll have backup QBs to get crushed behind that line. Until and unless those younguns pan out, that is not the OL I want starting when Kyler returns, though.
I don't think much of the other LG and C options, and we have seen what Beach brings. Unless they are awful leading up to the season, I would rather just tear the bandage off with Hayes, Gaines, and Paris. IMO, Gaines is the riskiest one of the bunch.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I’m betting both Schmitz & Tippmann have good years.
I really like Tippmann's tools, but if you watch a lot of film on him, he has big hand placement issues. He gives up his chest most of the time, and while it didn't get his QB killed against DL from Central Michigan, he's going to give up some sacks and pressures early.

Schmitz should be ok, but the same was thought about Billy Price and Garret Bradbury who had higher grades than Schmitz coming out.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Here's a question. Taking center completely out of the equation. Tippman, Schmitz, and Gaines. If you were scouting them as guard propects, who would you grade higher?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here's a question. Taking center completely out of the equation. Tippman, Schmitz, and Gaines. If you were scouting them as guard propects, who would you grade higher?

Tippmann, Schmitz, Gaines.

Gaines is a project. He has the traits. Technique needs a lot of work.

Also needs to add 10-15lbs for me. Although I think he lost weight for the combine, he looks bigger on film. So he may naturally be 10-15lbs heavier.

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
Maybe this GM room with Sears and company know how to sniff out offensive linemen. MO comes from the most smashmouthcentric football place on earth with King Henry. Sears was in DET where they developed a pretty darn good OL.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The weird thing about his injury is you cannot find a story saying exactly what it was. But, to immediately go on IR for the season in August you would certainly think it was an ACL.
How is possible to keep some injuries so secret, even about a marginal player, it's sport not intelligence stuff, communication should be an essential part of any franchise

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How is possible to keep some injuries so secret, it's sport not intelligence stuff, communication should be an essential part of any franchise
HIPAA?