2023 4th round pick #122 is Jon Gaines II G

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's not a Center. He's a Guard. He's only temporarily subbed at playing Center. He would 100% have to be converted to play Center. Why do that when we can draft an actual Center?
Because Duke Clemens is better and comes out next year. Clemons currently has a round 3 grade, but should rise with another good season.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Did you read his Combine stats? Bleacher Report has him rated Elite as an athlete.
I clarified later. I meant slow thinker. The interior of the line makes the calls and makes the decisions.

His athletic traits just don't materialize on the field. I hope I am wrong.

I also don't like that the cards are coming right out and saying that "he can do it all". We need a center folks. Not an interior swing lineman which is what I think we just got. We could have done better IMO. But again, I hope I am wrong.

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
I love how the same people on this board after every pick or trade let it be known they don't like what the Cards did. No on this board has watched all these young men play a lot. It makes me laugh because I know what the reaction will be before reading the thread. No one knows how these draft picks or trades will pan out, but I like what the Cardinals are trying to do.
Please explain what you like about the draft because I have no clue. I don't like any of the draft picks or the free agent signings. i don't pretend to be a NFL expert but I do believe you need an OC and a DL may also help.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you read his Combine stats? Bleacher Report has him rated Elite as an athlete.
Ratings are all over the place for this kid. nfldraft buzz rates him #41 at his position. Somebody has him as #11 OG. Others don't have him ranked at all.

These draft analyses are entertainment and not much more than that

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I was hoping for Carl Brooks in Round 4 but Monti going for an under the radar guy. I know Ben Jones name has been thrown around but he had concussion issues last year and is going to be 34 years old next year. Just saying not sure how much he has left in the tank.

I wouldn't mind taking Jarrett Patterson at this point.

Another reason why you don't wait for draft to fill roster needs.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean this guy is super athletic, has size, is versatile and is reportedly smart.

seems like a pretty good developmental guy to me.
Read the thread about Smith last year. You could literally switch the names and it would not make a difference. The main difference is Smith was projected higher than Gaines. Smith already has one year of development and actual NFL starts.

Hence my lack of enthusiasm. Obviously hope he comes in and blows everybody away. I just can't see it yet.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Read the thread about Smith last year. You could literally switch the names and it would not make a difference. The main difference is Smith was projected higher than Gaines. Smith already has one year of development and actual NFL starts.

Hence my lack of enthusiasm. Obviously hope he comes in and blows everybody away. I just can't see it yet.

To be fair, Smith half a season without an OL coach and the other half, his coach was more interested in gropping women in Mexico. Not the greatest environment to grow.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be fair, Smith half a season without an OL coach and the other half, his coach was more interested in gropping women in Mexico. Not the greatest environment to grow.
Exactly. Which is why Gaines seems redundant. Have the new oline coach have a go with Smith. I think he can still be potentially be a reliable starter.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Feel like Gaines is going to be center.

Played there before, including the Shrine bowl. Athletic. Highly intelligent. High football IQ.

I think that's what they want at center.

This isn't us converting a guard. He can already do it and only played G due to the UCLA roster makeup.
You don't go to UCLA if you are dumb.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Supposed to be good athlete but sorta weak and has difficulty anchoring. Sounds like the guard we had years ago (can’t recall his name) who we all wanted replaced every year but he kept holding onto the spot.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I love how the same people on this board after every pick or trade let it be known they don't like what the Cards did. No on this board has watched all these young men play a lot. It makes me laugh because I know what the reaction will be before reading the thread. No one knows how these draft picks or trades will pan out, but I like what the Cardinals are trying to do.
I love that you criticize people for having negative opinions but it’s okay for you to have an opinion liking what they are trying to do. SELF AWARENESS!