2023 3rd round pick #94 is Michael Wilson WR

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Nah. There’s always the thing where college talent doesn’t translate and he’s Early Doucet.

He’s a fairly high pick on a bad team so he’ll get every chance to contribute when healthy (see Moore, Rondale), but it’s not unimaginable that wanting to be great doesn’t automatically translate to being great.
Yes, way to early.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the two practices that I have attended, Michael Wilson hasn't disappointed. On Saturday I told my family to keep an eye on #14 before arriving at the R&W practice. They all came away really impressed.

During the receiving drills I was "Mansplaining" to my wife about running great routes and singled out Wilson with how great he ran a 10 yard out. When he hit the 30 yard line and made his cut and it was so quick and smooth. Then he went almost straight down the 30 yard line towards the sideline. It was a perfect out pattern and catch.

Wilson was immediately followed by Andre Baccellia who ran the same pattern. Baccellia also started his cut at the 30 yard line, but then he rounded his cut out to where he ended up near the 35 yard line. Even my wife could easily see the difference was like "Dang that is a huge difference".

During the R&W practice this weekend Wilson was 100% running with the first team. Colt McCoy clearly has a lot of confidence in Wilson and targeted him at least a half dozen times.

I believe the hype is real with this kid. Now he just needs to say healthy! Keep an eye out for #14!

KiwiCard

Rookie
Reaction score
Michael's Kiwi ancestry (his mum was born and raised in New Zealand and his auntie played international Soccer/Football for NZ) has made him my favorite Cardinals player so im stoked to hear that he is shining so far.

Question for the board who are far more qualified in football than I am, where do you think is the best position for Wilson to line up at, X, Z or slot?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Michael's Kiwi ancestry (his mum was born and raised in New Zealand and his auntie played international Soccer/Football for NZ) has made him my favorite Cardinals player so im stoked to hear that he is shining so far.

Question for the board who are far more qualified in football than I am, where do you think is the best position for Wilson to line up at, X, Z or slot?
Slot IMO. You want your most shiftiest/best route runner in the slot.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

IMO he is best suited for the X receiver. He has the strength and quickness to get off the line even in press coverage.

Rondale has been running in the Slot.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

With his route running ability, I see him as the X, who can't go in motion. I see Hollywood more of the Z receiver, use his speed, put him in motion to create mismatches, etc.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think Wilson can play any of the three positions, and his role will be dictated by the players around him. Also, it may be dictated by the personnel packages we want to run out of. Not sure how excited the team is to run the ball out of three WR sets with Brown, Dortch or Moore in the slot.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Wilson can play any of the three positions, and his role will be dictated by the players around him. Also, it may be dictated by the personnel packages we want to run out of. Not sure how excited the team is to run the ball out of three WR sets with Brown, Dortch or Moore in the slot.
I'm not so sure either. At least not at the start of the year and they have a few games or more to see how well this line can protect.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

They actually ran a bunch of 3 WR sets this past weekend. Not sure if that was because McBride was in street clothes or they just wanted to practice it some more? They also might feel more comfortable with both Wilson and Pascal out there and their ability to block.

KiwiCard

Rookie
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I had him sorta pegged in that X (Size and route running) or slot (sharp route running and another bigger body for blocking) but like a say im not an expert and am still learning nuances of the game.

Would certainly be awesome to hit on the 94th pick with an above average WR if he can live up to the hype.

If he does live up to the hype and we draft Harrison Jr, do you lot think X- Harrison Jr, Slot - Wilson, Z - Brown be a trio that would compliment eachother well?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he does live up to the hype and we draft Harrison Jr, do you lot think X- Harrison Jr, Slot - Wilson, Z - Brown be a trio that would compliment eachother well?

Now you are thinking way to far ahead. Lets see what Wilson can do first. Going from training camp to live games is a huge step.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
They actually ran a bunch of 3 WR sets this past weekend. Not sure if that was because McBride was in street clothes or they just wanted to practice it some more? They also might feel more comfortable with both Wilson and Pascal out there and their ability to block.
and it wouldn't shock me to see Wilson or Pascal in the slot to do so.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Now you are thinking way to far ahead. Lets see what Wilson can do first. Going from training camp to live games is a huge step.
Agreed. I am a big believer in Wilson but there is still a very wide range of outcomes in terms of what type of player he can be.

KiwiCard

Rookie
Reaction score

Fair enough, I do love a projection :D but see your point. I shall re ask the question later in the season when more information is available.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same. Throw in Paris Johnson for me as well.

Yes I was just going to say that as well. I didn't really watch much of the OL in practice since they were kind of just pretend blocking and was more focused on the WRs. However I hope to key more on him during the Preseason games.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Same. Throw in Paris Johnson for me as well.
I can’t excited about Paris until they restock the rest of the line. While individual linemen can certainly excel I have always viewed their ultimate success as the output of the sum of the parts. I want us to have a dominating line. And that’s just not going to occur this season.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can’t excited about Paris until they restock the rest of the line. While individual linemen can certainly excel I have always viewed their ultimate success as the output of the sum of the parts. I want us to have a dominating line. And that’s just not going to occur this season.
It is much easier for most fans, even casual ones to see when tackles are not performing right. They are usually blocking the end of the line and blocking one-on-one for the most part.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

Well if the NFL thing doesn't work out for him, he can probably play for the All Blacks.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson